What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prince's one weakness - a case for Kerr.

Eddie.

Bench
B_Tiger said:
yappy said:
interesting to see people wanting Kerr for his kicking. It's been the only area of his game that I've been disappointed with. I do however believe Prince is a 5/8 and Benji wouldn't be hurt at all playing a bit wider, so Kerr/Prince would look good to my eyes.

On his game last night there was little doubt that Prince was in Qld's best two or three, but as someone noted - boy didn't they look better when Smith was booting it downfield. He's a class act that boy.

Prince is a very consistant and accurate kicker. So everyone should start appreciating it.

Too true.

yappy

Bench
f ing awesome half? Not just a little hyperbole there mate? Yeah he played Origin, but only because every potential 7 in Qld can't walk. Shit Seymour was going to get the job over him. And you can't exactly say Qld were overflowing with options to start. I know selectors are far from infalable, but it was a reasonably fair assessment. If he was from NSW he wouldn't be within cooee of a blue shirt, the likes of Orford, Gidley, and even Wing would (deservedly) be in front of him. He's capable of the odd good game, but I'm still convinced he'd be a far more consistant performer at 6.

That he stood up and had a good game last night is to his credit, no criticism from me on that point, but his club form has been patchy (if tending to better lately). Gower on the other hand was lucky he hurt himself. Now he doesn't have to suffer the embarrassement of being dropped.

Lamb? I know he played some half at the dirty's but he was alway a six for us as far as I can remember.

B_Tiger

Juniors
ignore last nights match man. I think Prince's work is f**king awesome regardless and I've already had a 2 page argument over it so if you want to see why I rate him you can check out the 'Galea' thread. I didn't expect him to get picked for origin but his form most definately justified it. when a player can be consistant and productive on a backline like ours then I think that is a sign of a quality half and I'd be signing prince up for as long as I could if I had such an opportunity. Other halves get better go forward from their forwards, with better players outside them and have had more time to work their combinations. Prince has adapted brilliantly and I am very happy to have him wear the #7.

Eddie.

Bench
and look at the pack Gidley and Orford have in front of them Yappy.

Prince is playing solid ( to good lately as you mentioned) football with a team who has very little impact forwards. Thus he has less time to kick, worse field position to kick, is often kicking flat footed. The only real time we were on a role this year was the last 25 against manly with great dummy half running.

Prince laid on 4 tries in 25 minutes.

I definetly would not swap him for Gidley.

Jesus, the kid was played about 10 games in 3 years, he is only going to get better from here.

I hope he is here for his whole career.

Tigerpete

Juniors
I think B_Tiger's post up top was perfect. Some people here need to lay off Prince and his kicking game because their opinions are way to high.

simon says

First Grade
I disagree.If you are kicker you have enormous resposibiltiy to find scpace and alow your defenders time to keep the territoral advantage.I dont think its aiming to high to expect Prince to hit the ground on his kicks 50% of the time.He is touching the ground about 1 in ten.

Now as I have stated before,with the ball, in his hand I love the bloke.He is a star no doubts.But if he is going to be our main kicker he has to do better,we arent a good enough side to be surrenndering 20 metres every time Prince kicks cos he cant find space.

Aganst the Roosters we got hammered as they had all the field position....we must sort this problem out NOW.Against the dogs we had no issues in this area....Im worried that it may well haunt us this weekend.

super_coach

First Grade
At the start of the season prince's allround kicking game was average--but every week its been getting better-his cross field bombing and grubers are now pretty good--his long kicking game will get better,I think its about the players around creating the extra second for him to place his kick-I noticed in the dogs game,that anasta's kicking was pretty average-and he has a pretty good long kicking game.I think when you see a guy like sherwin-he tends to run the ball forward and than kick-where scotty seems to stand deep-catch and kick.I think you may find benji kicking from the left edges,as a second option.Although Kerr did a mighty job last week,I would keep him as back up-he will get plenty of more game time,in the weeks to come

_A_J_Gray_

Juniors
Firstly, I dont think one person here has said they dont think Prince is a good player. A few people have just stated they think his long distance kicking game is not that great. Im sure everyone agrees that with the ball in hand he is a great passer, runner, creater, defender and kicker when anywhere on the right side of the halfway line.

However the point which a lot of people are saying is his long distance kicking game is not satisfactory. Yes its as good as what we have had in the past and hes a gun player thats for sure, but if you had to point out a weakness in his game - It is most definetly his long distance kicking game. Some people say its all about time, well I disagree - Its not all about time, he has been given plenty of time this season to stop and think where he wants to kick it before kicking it and has failed to do so. I think an interesting stat to show this would be to see how many 40\20s Scott has kicked this year, or if someone could say how many times from inside our own 40 Scott has put a kick in and found successfull space. I honestly can not remember many times at all.

One of the problems I think for the Tigers is against teams like the Roosters and Dragons this year all thats been happening was the Tigers would start on there own line in attack. Get to about the 30m line and then Prince would kick it to about 10m inside the opposition half and then the fullback would run it back to halfway, and the problem is that its everytime.

I dont think anyones calling for his sacking, as we all realise the improvement at the Tigers this year is basically all due to him and guys like Hodgson - but we were just stating a real weakness at the Tigers at the moment.

So maybe if one comes on the market who is affordable, we should look at a good halfback or five eigth to partner Scott in the halves next year with Benji moving out wider.

Vicious

Bench
If our starting second-rowers rolled their sleeves up and had a go,we would never be trapped in our own 20-30.You very rarely see the Roosters have to kick from deep inside their own territory!

super_coach

First Grade
I dont think you can complain too much about our offline yardage--last week against the dogs it was great.Our defensive return plays were good,made heaps of yards--but kerr was finding space on the kick-which in turn give your chase game a chance-bottom line, field postition-thats what it is all about.I have noticed that they are going on their fourth tackle with the boot-before the wingers retreat--sort of loke backing eachway--but not a bad ploy,when your defence is up to sctatch

SouthernTiger

Juniors
For me this isnt about criticisng Prince, but it must be recognised he as some flaws, it is more about where people think he is best suited. Personally i have always though Prince was suited to the number 6 where he has that little bit more space. Prince to me looked best when Fitzy was playing half that day reynolds got injured. It was then that Prince stood up. One big problem with Prince's kicking game is his bombs. They can be good at times but woeful at others.

Back to Benji I recommend people go back and watch the Canberra game if they really believe Benji was awesome that day. He wasnt. In fact as Sheens said he was hot and cold. Did some good things. Like his esrly step and support play of Hidgson but did some very poor things too. If that is the standard of awesome in the NRL today than bring back super league I say ;-)

As much as I like kerr, and think he deserves another shot, this isnt even about him. More its about people, who usually know better, making strong statements about Prince and benji when in my view one of them has played decently at time and good at others. Whilst the other has looked brilliant at times but has yet to show any degree of consistency that Snide so highly values. I let you pick which player the description apply to

cheers

s. tiger

Vicious

Bench
Like I said before,if our starting second rowers were doing their job making decent yardage each week,(which they haven`t been doing),our kickers would have no trouble doing their job!Everyone critisizing any of our halves is barking up the wrong tree.The current halves are by far the most talented we`ve had since the start of the merger.We have a certain second rower who always runs sideways when we are trying to get out of our own danger zone,which inturn puts undue pressure on our kickers.Think about it and if you still don`t believe me,keep an eye on it!

simon says

First Grade
Yeah....its Buckets' fault that Prince cant kick the ball more than 30 metres and always straight to a player.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

magpiemax

Juniors
Balmain boy did you just work Simon out now!!

P.S.......you guy's can talk about what half combination should and should'nt be all day long.
Coaches have a habit of not changing a winning team unless absolutely necessary. :roll:

SouthernTiger

Juniors
why balmain boy because he happens to be of the opnion that Prince's long kicking game needs improvement. Are people always annoying pricks when they dont agree with you

cheers

s. tiger

Anonymous

Juniors
No because he's being intentionally facaetious champ. I agree his kicking game does need improvement. But Simon is blowing it way out of proportion. The only reason you have the opinion you do is because you are mates with Keiran Kerr.

SouthernTiger

Juniors
no i have always had this opinion of prince. In regards to poor kicking games I dont think Kieran would fix this because i dont think kicking is his best quality. He kicked well last week but that actually surprised me. Keiran's strength are mainly his running and passing games not unlike Prince.

Plus Simon is exactly right. Our go forward has nothing to do a players kicking ability. It has something to do with our metres gained granted but not kicking distance or accruracy

cheers

s. tiger

Latest posts