What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prior Gone...

God-King Dean

Immortal
Not nearly as bad a player as people try to make out. The problem with those people, is they have to find a new scapegoat now.

He was great in '09-'10. Not quite as good in 2011. He was crap in '12, I'll give that. He was solid in '13, just did his job as required. People always pointed out his dropping the ball, but as usual it was based on pigeon holing rather than the truth, & I can only recall one game this season his hands let him down.

Good luck Matt. I love you.

RedVDave

First Grade
Not nearly as bad a player as people try to make out. The problem with those people, is they have to find a new scapegoat now.

He was great in '09-'10. Not quite as good in 2011. He was crap in '12, I'll give that. He was solid in '13, just did his job as required. People always pointed out his dropping the ball, but as usual it was based on pigeon holing rather than the truth, & I can only recall one game this season his hands let him down.

Good luck Matt. I love you.

Very valid point, so who will be the new scape goat in 2014?

watatank

Coach
really??
salary cap doing its job??
so explain how a team just outside the top 4 this season has the cash to sign him, espcecially with their current star studded forward pack, and players like Fifita getting a big upgrade due to becoming an origin player??
if Prior was to sign for the eels then i would agree... but signing with the sharks hardly justifies the salary cap doing its job

The Sharks went crazy with signings in the past because no one wanted to play for them. Now they are winning they can start to correct that. What upgrade did Fifita get? He's still on the contract that he signed as a young player from the Tigers that doesn't reflect his current standing in the game. Off contract is a different story. I'd imagine they paid good overs for players like Green, Taufua when they were desperate for props and they are now gone. Ross is also gone although I think he was on minimum wage. Tupou re-signed and is no longer on that rich deal he signed under Ricky Stuart. Gibbs could retire. They can make it work.

Where does Prior fit in our 17? Maybe the last player picked in the 17, fringe? That's just next year, what about the year after and so on? We always talk about signing a big forward or two and say we do that then where would that leave Prior, as an expensive reserve grade player?

Next year, Stockwell, De Belin and Frizell are in line for some very decent upgrades, and I wonder if we will continue to be in the market for decent forwards as well.

Minh

First Grade
No offense but For mine Dan Hunt is not a scapegoat but I genuinely don't believe he provides enough impact for a highly paid starting front rower, he jut gets dominated in games too much and plays one good game and five bad ones. He would make a good player for depth but not a strike forward by any means. I would have kept Prior over Hunt for sure.

Mr Red

First Grade
No offense but For mine Dan Hunt is not a scapegoat but I genuinely don't believe he provides enough impact for a highly paid starting front rower, he jut gets dominated in games too much and plays one good game and five bad ones. He would make a good player for depth but not a strike forward by any means. I would have kept Prior over Hunt for sure.

Dan Hunt was a marquee signing according to Doust....Pretty easy to see why we are in the mess we are in when you hear those types of comments..

Minh

First Grade
Dan Hunt was a marquee signing according to Doust....Pretty easy to see why we are in the mess we are in when you hear those types of comments..

He is a master of spin after all, he'd make a good salesman except I wasn't sold lol.

TruSaint

Referee
He is a master of spin after all, he'd make a good salesman except I wasn't sold lol.

Stockwell is ten times the player Hunt has become, and i bet he is on peanuts compared to Dan.

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
Stockwell is ten times the player Hunt has become, and i bet he is on peanuts compared to Dan.

Stockwell was one of the highlights of this season, De Belin is now the player we must hold onto as well.

TruSaint

Referee
Yeah Minh, 2 top players.
Different attributes.
Stockwell = workhorse, low key, solid and unassuming.
JDB = future star, stepping, off loads, best front on defence in our team and pace.
Long term signing a must .

Mr Red if you believe comments like that for fact then you seriously have to have a look at yourself Doust is a spin doctor he uses throw away lines and people actually take it as truth.

The whole Hunt bashing is based on what nothing really same as the Prior and others the usual people trying to justify their dislike for a player with no real fact behind it.

On Stockwell being a better player than Hunt he's a good talent who is still developing he'll get labelled this and that would be better to let him and De Belin just mature and play the game instead of putting more pressure on them.

Mr Red

First Grade
Mr Red if you believe comments like that for fact then you seriously have to have a look at yourself Doust is a spin doctor he uses throw away lines and people actually take it as truth.

The whole Hunt bashing is based on what nothing really same as the Prior and others the usual people trying to justify their dislike for a player with no real fact behind it.

On Stockwell being a better player than Hunt he's a good talent who is still developing he'll get labelled this and that would be better to let him and De Belin just mature and play the game instead of putting more pressure on them.
nah mate .. personally i dont believe Hunt is a marquee signing..
whether Doust believes it or not i am still not sure....
either way to hear him say it is really quite embarrassing..and im hoping Doust hasnt given him the pay cheque of a marquee player...

TruSaint

Referee

Coast,

Read my post in totality. No Hunt bashing.
I underlined the player he USED to be.
As to pressure on JDB and Stockwell.
Sorry friend thats what they need. Encouragement.

You can read my posts. I always said Prior was over played.
That is he could play in the backs / forwards etc.
Solid player with a few mistakes in him.

JDB will represent i believe.
Stockwell have rarely been mentioned on our forum, except for a few notables.

Cheers

Latest posts