What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Promotion and Relegation!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
My solution to making P&R in Australia work (not that it is perfect) would be assign a specific number of spots to each stadium/area....

Basically, a Sydney team can only be replaced by another Sydney team, a Newcaslte team can only be replaced by Newcaslte, etc. This would fix everyones fears about distribution of team.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
My solution to making P&R in Australia work (not that it is perfect) would be assign a specific number of spots to each stadium/area....

Basically, a Sydney team can only be replaced by another Sydney team, a Newcaslte team can only be replaced by Newcaslte, etc. This would fix everyones fears about distribution of team.

I'm not in favour of P&R but if it was to be brought in, this would definately be the model. Maybe add a play-off situation also so as @siv has mentioned so that it is not straight up and down but the wooden spooners to into a P&R play-off with the champs of the relevant teir 2 comp.

i.e. if the Titans are up for relegation, they play-off against the QLD Cup champions, the Warriors against the NZRL champions any NSW team against the NSW Cup champions (NSW cup would need to consist of stand-alone sides not as feeder sides).

Pommy

Coach
Ok imagine Newcastle and cowboys going down to be replaced by Wentworthville and Mt Pritchard.

I’m not advocating P&R here but I don’t think you can claim it be a disaster in football in the UK. With the size of parachute payments a club can survive it unless their a total basket case, in which case what’s really at fault?
If there was no relegation and no salary cap (impossible to implement in European football) you would have ten teams literally just making up the numbers year in and year out in the EPL.

The Great Dane

First Grade

The problem with a system like that is that they are almost certainly going to be inherently unfair.

tri_colours

Juniors
Ok imagine Newcastle and cowboys going down to be replaced by Wentworthville and Mt Pritchard.

Or , more in line with the original post, Perth and North Sydney. With NQ and Newcastle having a Chance of getting back in one day. Nothings ever going to be perfect but your not shutting the door on any club.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade

A P&R system means anyone could relegated even if we set regional quotas

But I dont support auto-relegation

By initially promoting 2 teams into a 18 team comp and a wooden spoon playoff you reduce the impact

But it does allow for a Storm or Dogs style rort being managed in a Juventus style exile

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Or , more in line with the original post, Perth and North Sydney. With NQ and Newcastle a Chance of getting back in one day. Nothings ever going to be perfect but at your not shutting the door on any club.
Thats under the proviso that the Perth and NS teams recruit well and are in the top echelon of the second tier. If the P&R system were to be in place with the NRL as it stands at the moment, Perth wouldn't even be a look in as they are only an U/20's outfit that get trounced more often than not, and the Bears aren't even in the top 4 of the Canterbury Cup. To be fair, I think if we were looking at this as a system for getting WA into the top tier, it would be a long way off.

The only positive to look at if we were to adopt the P&R into the current season is that we would possibly gain an extra QLD team as the Sunshine Coast Falcons and the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls are currently outperfoming the Rabbitohs and Bulldogs on their respective ladders. In the current scenario we would possibly lose the Titans and Bulldogs from the NRL and gain SC Falcons and WM Seagulls, or have a playoff between the four.

27EELS

Juniors
Promotion and Relegation works pretty much everywhere. It’s better than losing your team or any team for that matter. For some reason We think more like the Americans in Sport ?

So what if Broncos , Warriors or Storm could get relegated ? Well there should be more than one Team in Brisbane anyway , 2 or 3 actually plus another few Qld Regions that could be there

Same with NZ 2 or 3 teams and a 2nd from Melbourne in a few years, when they actually have there own Talent.

Last edited:

VictoryFC

Bench
Since it's clearly never going to happen, even as a hypothetical scenario it's pointless to discuss.

tri_colours

Juniors
Since it's clearly never going to happen, even as a hypothetical scenario it's pointless to discuss.

I doubt to many of the ideas on here have much of a chance in getting up. So why a we discussing them. - maybe a few should be looked at a little closer though. I see Gus Gould is promoting some kind of P/R system. So never say never.

VictoryFC

Bench
I doubt to many of the ideas on here have much of a chance in getting up. So why a we discussing them. - maybe a few should be looked at a little closer though. I see Gus Gould is promoting some kind of P/R system. So never say never.

I realise it'll remain a topic of discussion like many things, but there's far more chance of PR leagues going to a closed shop than the other way around.

tri_colours

Juniors
Exactly. It’s nonsense.

I guess that's why they have it elsewhere!

I don't think I'm the only one that would like to see there side always be a chance , no matter how slim, of winning the premiership in the main competition rather than turfed out of the comp or relegated to being some sort of glorified feeder club.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
I guess that's why they have it elsewhere!

I don't think I'm the only one that would like to see there side always be a chance , no matter how slim, of winning the premiership in the main competition rather than turfed out of the comp or relegated to being some sort of glorified feeder club.
And it’s a crap system. How can you sign players or sponsors with the threat of relegation every year? Our comp isn’t big enough or strong enough for this idea. But like stallion you’ll just ramble on about it anyway.

tri_colours

Juniors
And it’s a crap system. How can you sign players or sponsors with the threat of relegation every year? Our comp isn’t big enough or strong enough for this idea. But like stallion you’ll just ramble on about it anyway.

Any side, on the verge of promotion would soon attract sponsors, interest and supporters etc, For example, a Sydney Rooster or Brisbane 2's support would not just dry up. And you would have already read, no doubt, that the sides in the lower tier were receiving a lesser grant - assuming they were televised midweek.

Your obviously not in agreement with this thread so why do you keep replying?

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Any side, on the verge of promotion would soon attract sponsors, interest and supporters etc, For example, a Sydney Rooster or Brisbane 2's support would not just dry up. And you would have already read, no doubt, that the sides in the lower tier were receiving a lesser grant - assuming they were televised midweek.

Your obviously not in agreement with this thread so why do you keep replying?
Why do I reply? Who are you? Stallion’s kid sister? I’m engaging in debate. I think you are entirely wrong.
The idea is plain stupid and inappropriate for this code in this environment. There is a sponsorship war going on throughout Australian sport. Sponsors will not support teams that can’t guarantee an appearance in the top league year by year. They want exposure and they won’t get in tier 2. So they’ll put their money elsewhere.
Given the idea has 0% chance of happening then I could ask you why you are pursuing such a pointless cause?

Latest posts