What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposed Knights Forum 7's Squad For 2005

astrogirl

First Grade
antonius said:
... we will end up having to cut it down to 15 anyway.
For the record, I am happy to be cut from the playing roster or added if needed - whatever is necessary to get this team off the ground.

Doctor

Bench
Sportsjock said:
Im seriously unsure...

50/50 - think about it and get back to you guys.

They were certainly fun times werent they Tony? Albeit contreversial :lol:

Unsure?
From what I read in previous threads you were highly enthused by the prospect of playing 7s with the proposed Knights team - what happened to all that excitement?

Perhaps a bigger offer is required - a higher percentage of beans in the half-time communal broth perhaps? =P~

astrogirl

First Grade
If my memory serves me correctly, I think SJ also said that he would only be keen on playing in a competitive team. Perhaps I am being cynical, but maybe SJ is waiting to see the final lineup before committing?

(Hmmm :? I hope that doesn't come across as being to b_tchy.)

IanG

Coach
Count me in as well
I can always publish Ian's Insight in there as well as this board.

How's that sound?

antonius

Coach
They won't let you do that there Ian, it's purely a forum for the sevens comp, however you could use your insight as the basis for your articles. Going on your weekly efforts here you'll have no problem coming up with articles each game, the main thing in the comp is variety, try and be a bit left field sometimes, the refs get a bit tired of reading a dozen pieces on say the Dogs saga, or how great Johns is, if you get my drift. I'll put you down for a spot.

Astrogirl said:
Hmmm (I hope that doesn't come across as being to b_tchy.)
Astro you are never bitchy LOL.

astrogirl

First Grade
antonius said:
Astro you are never bitchy LOL.
Thanks antonius :D seems I am doing a decent job of hiding my true colours!

Back to Forum 7's, looks like potential team numbers are quite healthy. 15 with 4 that aren't certainties (keeney, chriswalkerbush, SJ, me). Does that mean a couple more wouldn't hurt? Can Matt definitely get a release from the Rhinos?

IanG

Coach
antonius said:
They won't let you do that there Ian, it's purely a forum for the sevens comp, however you could use your insight as the basis for your articles. Going on your weekly efforts here you'll have no problem coming up with articles each game, the main thing in the comp is variety, try and be a bit left field sometimes, the refs get a bit tired of reading a dozen pieces on say the Dogs saga, or how great Johns is, if you get my drift. I'll put you down for a spot.

Ok I'll bare that in mind. As I keep saying Ian's Insight wont necessaryily be football related as I showed with last week's edition and I'll be doing it all year round as well.

This may sound like a silly question but I assume that each one has to have a football theme to it.

For a future edition I already have some ideas but I'm not sure when to publish them. I already know what I'll be writing the week of the grand final but I also have another "story" up me sleeve but not sure when to publish it.

Anyway I'm sure I can think of something each week.

Matt23

Staff member
Matt can definatly get a release from the rhino's once the current season is over.

roopy

Referee
Tactics are pretty important in the sevens.

I found it was a good idea to just start half a dozen different posts when you are doing nothing special some day, and let them grow when you have a bit of time on your hands. Any time you have an idea for a post - go to a word document and start writing down your thoughts.
What you will end up with is maybe a dozen partially written posts - some will be too long and will need to be cut back - some will be too short and will need to be expanded. Coming up to game day you can pick one of your posts and finish it off - which is much easier than sitting down with a few hours to go and writing something from scratch.
Where tactics come in is - you should save your best articles for important games. If you have a couple that you really like - keep them up your sleeve - because it often comes down to the finals and you find you have used all your best stuff up, and have nothing for the big game.

Sportsjock

Juniors
Oswin said:
Unsure?
From what I read in previous threads you were highly enthused by the prospect of playing 7s with the proposed Knights team - what happened to all that excitement?

Well to be quite frank, there was a pretty big fallout in the 7's a season or two ago when it was over at Rleague.com - and not suprisingly, I was kinda smack bang in the middle of it :lol:

Firstly, I have never got along very well with the heirachy of this site, nor do I necessarily agree with some of their agendas.
Secondly, I come to this site simply because its now practically the Newcastle Knights " official " site, where as my conscience and pride would much prefer me to be hanging around over at rleague.com - however, thats a waste of time considering the majority of Knights fans now post here.

Thirdly, I felt the Knights were hardly done by just prior to the fallout ( tony, DMC etc can confirm this ), and unless the set up has changed dramatically, I don't know if I want the un-needed drama.

My competitive spirit has me taking the game far too seriously, and I get fired up easily and a bit strong opinion :lol: ( more than normal ).

Sure, I'd love to be on a competitive team, but thats not it, I know if the bulk of people named so far , play, then we will be more than competitive, and if I am in the team, you can be assured that nothing less than great is our goals in the comp!

If we enter, we enter to win, not be competitive.

And lastly, because of all of the above, and the fact that many people here don't like me that much ( and probably for whatever reason think that Im chummy with Rleague.com - which is not the case ) , I am unsure yet if my conscience to play here will trod all over my pride in the fact at least last time I went out with the pride completely intact :lol:

If I come back , maybe that will be a moral victory to those who are lame ;-) :p :p

Let me sit on it for a bit. Commit me to the team for now.

Its probably wisest that you captain Oswin though, even though I was the past skipper, youre much more level headed :lol:

But, if you want a super aggressive talented forward that can intimidate the opposition and get into the refs subconscience in the 7s, you got your man 8) :lol:

I may be busy next season, however, I'll just stock up articles now while I've got the time.

antonius

Coach
All that is in the past SJ, the comp here is very well run, and having watched it all of last year I can say it is trouble free, sure occasionally there are a few whinges about minor stuff but that's a rareity. The refs are non playing so there is no suggestion of favouritsm, and I don't believe the guys reffing would be that way inclined anyway. The teams that are accepted into the game have to prove they will be staying for the long haul so there's none of the two game teams from rleague anymore, a lot of teams that nominated this year were rejected on the basis that they hadn't satisfied the criterior of being able to field a team every match (that was one of the bugbears of the old comp) It's all good, if it weren't I wouldn't be involved with it. There are some fairly hefty penalties in place for anyone causing grief in the comp (hope you completed that anger management course :lol: :lol: ) they have not had to be used so as I said it all runs pretty smoothly. In the end it's up to you if you play or not, nobody wants to pressure anyone into it.

Doctor

Bench
Sportsjock said:
Its probably wisest that you captain Oswin though, even though I was the past skipper, youre much more level headed :lol:

But, if you want a super aggressive talented forward that can intimidate the opposition and get into the refs subconscience in the 7s, you got your man 8) :lol:

I may be busy next season, however, I'll just stock up articles now while I've got the time.

Level headed? You haven't seen me on the Forum 7's field (neither have I, but that's beside the point) -- perhaps I will lose my cool and get myself in trouble, again. :roll: ;-)

Others can nominate themselves for the captaincy - feel free to put your name forward more unequivocally than that SJ. Of course; you would have to confirm your willingness to play the whole season. But if you, or anyone else, want to take the captaincy from my basket of responsibilities then go right ahead.

I didn't ask for the role -- so as far as I'm concerned others can decide to nominate another person -- I wouldn't be offended at all. The pay isn't any good anyway..... [-( ;-)

In any case SJ, the team will benefit from the aggressive forwards such as yourself getting us underway with a iconclastic contribution from the depths of your psyche. You're also experienced, which makes you a player of worth -- we might not be able to afford you though. What would your management say about this? ;-)

Sportsjock

Juniors
No, I hope you didnt perceive me to want the captaincy.

I handed this over to Go Joey Go towards the end of my efforts last time.

Captaincy is yours who who ever else wants it mate.

I'm sweet being in the squad.

Doctor

Bench
Sportsjock said:
No, I hope you didnt perceive me to want the captaincy.

I handed this over to Go Joey Go towards the end of my efforts last time.

Captaincy is yours who who ever else wants it mate.

I'm sweet being in the squad.

Don't perceive this to be me trying to accomodate a shove from you for the captaincy. I see what you're saying -- I can see that you're not asking for the captaincy at all.

What I am saying is that I really don't care -- this isn't me being diplomatic about it. If someone else wants it, then by all means take it from me.

I would prefer to have flexibility -- to be able to do a Jamie Lyon every now and then, and go away from the game for a while. Hopefully there will be enough in the "squad" for people to rotate a bit.

Sportsjock

Juniors
To be honest, the Knights team were extremely successful during the year we went within one game of the Grand Final, and we had the bare minimum 7 players week in week out.

I know everyone wants to have a go and everything, but reality suggests, you need a hard nosed leader who can make the tough decisions and name the strongest team possible every week, otherwise what will happen is you get part timers coming in to fill in , and then all of a sudden you start losing games etc.

If a starting line up and regular week in week out team of 7 players can stay on the park, get to know each others writing styles, and complement each other in a team styled environment, you have a great chance of succeeding.

I suggest naming the Top 7 - even if it means having our own in house trial games between each other, or having a day where we all just post to trial to see where we are at skill wise ( and have the nominated team captain as judge of the trial ), and at the end name the Top side.

If any members of the top side want a rest during the year, then a nominated reserve bench of players can then step in?

I dunno, I know its kinda harsh and all , but if you enter the competition , you want to go in with the mindset of winning, and to do that, the best players and writers need to be playing regularly.

It was the secret to the Knights success in recent times in the 7s comp.

I think a rotation of 10 to 12 players would be more than enough, with the top 7 posters committing at the start of the year to play in almost every game bar one or two.

Doctor

Bench
Sportsjock said:
To be honest, the Knights team were extremely successful during the year we went within one game of the Grand Final, and we had the bare minimum 7 players week in week out.

I know everyone wants to have a go and everything, but reality suggests, you need a hard nosed leader who can make the tough decisions and name the strongest team possible every week, otherwise what will happen is you get part timers coming in to fill in , and then all of a sudden you start losing games etc.

If a starting line up and regular week in week out team of 7 players can stay on the park, get to know each others writing styles, and complement each other in a team styled environment, you have a great chance of succeeding.

I suggest naming the Top 7 - even if it means having our own in house trial games between each other, or having a day where we all just post to trial to see where we are at skill wise ( and have the nominated team captain as judge of the trial ), and at the end name the Top side.

If any members of the top side want a rest during the year, then a nominated reserve bench of players can then step in?

I dunno, I know its kinda harsh and all , but if you enter the competition , you want to go in with the mindset of winning, and to do that, the best players and writers need to be playing regularly.

It was the secret to the Knights success in recent times in the 7s comp.

I think a rotation of 10 to 12 players would be more than enough, with the top 7 posters committing at the start of the year to play in almost every game bar one or two.

Whatever happened to playing for "the love of the game" SJ? ;-)

It sounds like a feasible idea. I already have a fair indication of who may do well in Forum 7s. But in the lead-up to next year's competition and the Knights' potential position in it, it is only fair that every individual be given an opportunity to shine.

Given most people are newbies at this, you're not suggesting we should hold a try-out already, are you?

It would be like expecting a junior player yet to play the game to try-out for the team. I think you need to give people an opportunity to get a few games under their belt before you start whitling the team down.

You remind me of Homer Simpson -- "Now, this was a hard decision, and I couldn't cut all of you, but here goes: Joe, you're cut, Rod, your cut......and Fred, James and Ian are all cut. The rest of you, do a lap around the oval -- not you Todd! You're cut!" :lol:

astrogirl

First Grade
I'm not one to shy away from a challenge, but I'm starting to think being on this team would be more effort and more competitive than I envisaged!

I would only do this to ensure that we have sufficient numbers to enter a Knights team. As it appears that interest is very healthy, I would like to step aside :D and will watch Forum 7's developments with interest from afar :D Looking forward to reading your stuff guys!

Sportsjock

Juniors
I mean its fine if you guys want to have a fun competition.

Thats ok , its fun, but its no fun losing either... you know what I mean.

Im very competitive, please dont be turned off Astrogirl ,but gee youd probably make a great cheerleader anyway ;-) :lol:

Dont leave the team on account of my competitiveness!

astrogirl

First Grade
Don't flatter yourself SJ - as if I'd be scared off by you! :D

As for your cheerleader comment - what are you trying to say? I'd be better waving pompoms than writing something serious?!? :shock:

Sportsjock

Juniors
Oswin said:
Given most people are newbies at this, you're not suggesting we should hold a try-out already, are you?

I am suggesting that all interested players take the next 4 to 6 weeks to go and view the Forums 7 games that are currently underway. Learn the rules, see whats involved, and then without playing a competition game so to speak, I'd like all interested members who want to be apart of the Knights 7's to come up with an article that we can list here in a "KNIGHTS FORUM 7 TRIAL " Sticky...

We may have 15 articles up. No winners, no losers, just Knights members doing team training so to speak. So they get used to posting an article.

We should set a time and date limit ( like a 7s comp game would ), for all interested members to post their article, and as captain, you can personally go and request one of the current Forum 7 referees to come over if they have the time and mark our posts as if it was a Forum 7 comp game?

You get what I mean Chook?

I think that would be a smart idea to do something along these lines. Have everyone go and learn the 7s , what its about , go view whats going on currently, form a thread in our Newcastle Knights area for a trial match in say 6 to 8 weeks time... give everyone 2 weeks and a deadline to post our articles, and then if one of the 7s refs want to come along and give us some marks as a trial , that would be the best way of trialing in match conditions.

This way people can see if they enjoy it or not and can make the commitment.

We can do a few of these this year if you wish to judge writing talent.

The reason I suggest a current 7s ref coming in to mark our posts in the trial is so that we get the marks from the officials that will be doing it later. Its all well and good me volunteering to be a ref for our trials, but I think its much better to have a ref who will be doing the 7s do the marks so we are aware of the standards and what the refs are actually looking for in the official game.

Then by the end of the year, after a trial or two between us in our Knights area, we should have a ship shape team ready to fire in the 7s. No doubt some people with fine intentions will drop out and lose interest, and others will shine.

The trial articles should be played under as close to a match condition as possible ( without an opposition team obviously ), so that commitment and motivation can be judged by the fact our trial articles have a deadline to be posted ( like a 7s game ).

Thoughts?

I'd personally play if the team had a epicentre of Chook, Danish Moo Cow, Antonius, Matt 23 etc.

If Chook, Antonius and DMC commit , you've got yourself a player in SJ too...

Latest posts