What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pro's and Con's of admitting more than one team...

Ilya

Juniors
I know it's not really feasible to admit all the teams, but i was thinking, that the main thing that new teams need are a few good wins in their first season. A team admitted by itself would have a problem in its first season because of the lack of talent given to it in its first season. Two or even three teams admitted together at the same time would create a fair rival for those new teams. Your thoughts?

dimitri

First Grade
im sick of the bullshit

there is so much talent

7 years ago we had 22 teams

now we have 15

admitting all 3 teams would be feasible if done right

(although we all know the nrl doesnt always do things right)

it just needs to be planned well and it will work

despite what ray hadley and co will say

the new clubs have worked

the cowboys have been a success
the warriors have been a success (although this year hasnt been good)
the storm have been a success (they are bettering swans crowds from 93&94) and have had to put up with a much more hostile city

give areas a team they will work eventually

this has been proven in the past

:clap: :clap: :clap:

mightybears

Bench
the talent is there, if should be about viability
if all 3 are worthy , admit them all
its not as if we currently have eveyone playing each other twice

gold coast, central coast, wellington all areas of growth for the game
if the money/backing is there go for it

Earl

Coach
You have the QLD Cup, Jim Beam Cup, the Bartercard Cup all the players in England as well as the players on the bench or in Premier league ATM. If you can't make a 25 man squad and a premier league team out of those that will be competitive then I'll eat my hat.

Ilya

Juniors
I didn't say there wasn't enough talent around. On the contrary, i think there's plenty around for an 18 team competition. The fact remains however that in its first years it's almost impossible for a new team to compete into playoff contention (with the exception of the storm).

t-ba

Post Whore
Though Dimi's Post included a rather idiotic Supressed assumption (Sure, there were 22 teams in 1997. But in all reality, only 8 or so were genuinely competitive and the bottom 8 were nothing short of woeful) , he's bang on the money.

The talent is there. There is enough talent in NZ and QLD to create the basis of competitive outfits that will grow into very strong clubs over time (There are probably enough Todd Byrne/Albert Torrenesque Stock standard average first graders running around in the QLD cup to fill a squad with a bit of change). The CC bid I'm not too sure about, but the quality of players that has come out of the region in the last decade or so would indicate it's a great rugby league area, but what they do is heap more pressure on the weaker sydney Clubs ( :cry: ) to shape up or ship out/die.

t-ba

Post Whore
But they sure will suck when they come in. That's why the Business plans need to show adequate preperation for atleast half a dozen lean years.

Special K

Coach
buy some union players, raid qld, nsw and nz for players get one or two locals back and you'll go well. I don't think anyone expects them to be a good side the first year but all 3 have good development areas and can improve over time like the Cowboys

DIEHARD

----
No no no no no!

NO BEARS! You are going to lose! LOSE YOUR TEAM! :lol: :lol: :lol:

None of this "ADMIT THEM ALL" garbage.

If we are admitting three times it is going to be "GOLD COAST, PERTH AND 2ND NEW ZEALAND"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DIEHARD

----
No more than 1 team should be added at the same time.

It must go -> 2006 then 2008/9

I believe we can admit three teams and be successful. We can definately do that.

But I want to maximise success.

Knightmare

Coach
Your attitude is like all the people supporting the Gold Coast bid- arrogant. While al us Central Coast people continued to call out for a team of our own 4 years ago, where were you lot? Gold Coast have jumped on the bandwagon at the last minute and suddenly think it's their God-given right to get a spot in the NRL ahead of a team that's been jumping at the gate for the last 4 years. :x

DIEHARD

----
IT IS OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO BE IN THE NRL!

BOW DOWN BEFORE ME!!!!! BOW DOWN!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

bartman

Immortal
I don't think it is realistic to think the NRL will admit more than one new team for the moment. They will want to step softly, softly and see how it goes with one first.

And I don't think the new side will automatically be crap. All applicants have claims to junior areas, and if they are given enough notice (ie confirmed before off-season) the they will have all of 2005 to get in the market and sign players and coaches and employ staff etc for the 2006 kick-off. Plenty of time!

I wouldn't expect the new team to make the 8 first time, but I'd expect them to perform better than some of our current teams have this season, Eels included :lol:

dimitri

First Grade
why would you get rid of the warriors

kill league in nz

and make international league even worse

good one

:roll: :roll: :roll:

maybe you should think before you post

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mightybears

Bench
i don't it is the nrl [ironic] that is against more than 1 new team for 2006
i think the other clubs are dead against any new teams from anywhere
[and i can understand though not agree with the wests tigers noyce's ranting about the subject]

Happy Gilmore

Juniors
Why should a 2nd NZL team be added b4 Central Coast?

Ive heard nothing about the talent, population and the interest, compared to the Gold Coast and the Central Coast. Both of the coast teams should be in b4 a second nzl team. I dont think Wellington or whoever is ready yet.

It'll be good if a second NZL team would be added, but its gonna take a while. Maybe after 2010.

Razor

Coach
All 3 teams

People keep saying there isn't enough talent.

If there were more teams less players would go to England, and these Union converts who say they switched because no club could afford them under their salary cap, would have more options.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
There's plenty of talent, Parramatta bought a heap of first graders at the start of the season. Some of them cant even fit into the side, theres always an 18th man and also theres juniors coming through. If you have a good recruitment officer then you've got plenty of talent. :D