What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld soo side

timka4

Bench
The reverse is also true for a player like Justin Hodges. This might be an unpopular opinion but I've never rated Hodgo on the rep. scene - his style of play just doesn't have as much value.

Then there's Nate Myles and I really don't know what the go is.
An unpopular but a very true opinion, imo lol.
Hodges is very dangerous at club level, but at rep has never been great just solid. The one thing about him though is he never lets QLD down, always plays pretty well. Bar of course his entry to origin, like typicalfan mentioned.

And :lol: statement, it's so true.

K Mull

Juniors
Cooper Cronk is a far far far better player then Cheery-Evans. Qld will have to lift for this year. The NSW so and so's will think this is their best chance for a victory in many years now that D. Lockyer has retired. Qld 2-1. and 7 in a row!!

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Pretty much.

You look at say Greg Bird at the Titans and how he's had to cover positions and roles that aren't suited towards him. As soon as he plays for the Blues, he doesn't have to worry about positioning himself for the last tackle or covering another player because that isn't his responsibility.

Similar story with Inglis. At Melbourne he had two problems. The first issue was that he was made to play five eigth. The second was Ryan Hoffman who constantly kept getting in his way on the fringes. Now that he's at Souths, he's got a personnel problem and instead of having Slater, Smith & Cronk taking care of him he's had old man Wesser, hot and cold Sandow and ordinary service from Luke. Throw in Taylor who has a bit of Hoffman in him plus a slow start because of his rehab and you've got the recipe for a complacent club player.

The reverse is also true for a player like Justin Hodges. This might be an unpopular opinion but I've never rated Hodgo on the rep. scene - his style of play just doesn't have as much value.

Then there's Nate Myles and I really don't know what the go is.

Have to disagree pete i rate the hell out of Myles. Would have him at the Broncos any day of the week. Does a great job with and without the ball.

timka4

Bench
When he wants to. 2010 he was absolutely great for the roosters. 2011 he put in many uninspired performances. No doubt he is a good player, but he can play a few games with a lackluster effort.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Club form isnt always an accurate barometer on how a player will fair at rep level

and yet you bag Taylor based on his Rabbitoh form...........:?

Taylor is by far better value than Lillyman in SOO

and I'd have Hodges over Tonga and Tate as well.

The Cronk V DCE decision will be an interesting one. Personally I think for the betterment of the team as a whole,

Cronk is more suitable as the interchange and DCE should start.........

Joker's Wild

Coach
And his Origin form. He has done nothing for Qld either because he doesnt have to

If you want him in your side thats fine by me. It gives NSW all the more chance of winning. If I was a Qld supporter though I would not be relying on him to do the hard yards when needed

Myles has to be there.Fullstop.No matter how well he is playing at club level,he is capable of achieving another gear of play at Origin level.He appears remarkably untalented when viewed superficially,scrutinise his Origin game,and you find a player perfect for Origin.

Tonga has some maddening flaws to his attack at Origin level,much as Thaiday had for many years.Thaiday has been coached to rectify his flaws and is finally showing his promise as a strike weapon.Tonga similarly,could be coached to overcome his problems.I still marvel at how he effectively played the majority of Origin 1 last year, one armed. That deficit definitely blunted QLD's attack in that game,however Tonga didn't miss his tackles despite his injury.That was amazing.

Many of the players who are able to be considered for the QLD side,have had some experience at Origin level and are already familiar with the broad game plan.This enables QLD to slot-in experienced Origin players,should the need arise.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Myles has to be there.Fullstop.No matter how well he is playing at club level,he is capable of achieving another gear of play at Origin level.He appears remarkably untalented when viewed superficially,scrutinise his Origin game,and you find a player perfect for Origin.

Tonga has some maddening flaws to his attack at Origin level,much as Thaiday had for many years.Thaiday has been coached to rectify his flaws and is finally showing his promise as a strike weapon.Tonga similarly,could be coached to overcome his problems.I still marvel at how he effectively played the majority of Origin 1 last year, one armed. That deficit definitely blunted QLD's attack in that game,however Tonga didn't miss his tackles despite his injury.That was amazing.

Many of the players who are able to be considered for the QLD side,have had some experience at Origin level and are already familiar with the broad game plan.This enables QLD to slot-in experienced Origin players,should the need arise.

Agree 100% on Myles. His club form wasnt too flash last year but he was playing in a side in complete disarray. When his side was traveling well in 2010 he played very well. Just lacked motivation last season playing in a team that was going nowhere. Does his job perfectly in origin. Tonga hits the ball up better than any back at origin level and is a great defender and leaves the attacking stuff to the left side for Iglis, Slater and Boyd. Id have Taylor over Lillyman any day on the bench, a much better impact player with a good offload always draws at least 2 defenders. Lillyman is there if needed however.

Big Pete

Referee
Have to disagree pete i rate the hell out of Myles. Would have him at the Broncos any day of the week. Does a great job with and without the ball.

Apart from 2010, Myles has 6 good games per year. 3 for Queensland, the rest for his club.

Not that I'm complaining, he's got the Origin spot sown up for as long as he wants it.

Also, I'd take Taylor before Lillyman everyday of the week.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Apart from 2010, Myles has 6 good games per year. 3 for Queensland, the rest for his club.

Not that I'm complaining, he's got the Origin spot sown up for as long as he wants it.

Also, I'd take Taylor before Lillyman everyday of the week.

Myles doesnt play for the Broncos so i couldnt give 2 shits about his club form.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Then why comment in the first place? That was my entire point on Myles.

Must have misunderstood your post. Thought you were putting the boot in The way Thurston does when someone dives on a lose ball anywhere near him. Not that i have a problem with that.

Mr Fourex

Bench
If I was a Qld supporter though I would not be relying on him to do the hard yards when needed

I.....and I suspect most QLD fans won't be. Why would you?

Plenty of others to do "the hard yards"

I want Big Dave Taylor to rip in around the edge of the ruck against a tiring and most probably, mentally weakening NSW side. Taylor has the ball skills of Alfie Langer combined with speed, agility and obviously, a huge body frame.

Given the right ball......Taylor could be unstoppable this year.

The biggest mistake in his foot balling career to date was joining the hapless rabbitohs.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Correct, given the right conditions Taylor thrives. His fellow forwards dominating and doing the hard stuff for him being the primary points.

What happens when Qld get into trouble though? Find themselves pinned on their goal line and needing yardage? You'll find big Dave bludging out near the wing letting others do the work.

He's a liability waiting to happen

Mr Fourex

Bench
Correct, given the right conditions Taylor thrives. His fellow forwards dominating and doing the hard stuff for him being the primary points.

What happens when Qld get into trouble though? Find themselves pinned on their goal line and needing yardage? You'll find big Dave bludging out near the wing letting others do the work.

He's a liability waiting to happen

QLD have others to do the yard work. He'll be used as an impact player mate. Nobody wants to see him with a large tackle count and or with huge hit up metres.

Quality not quantity is what Dave Taylor is about

.......and as for QLD being pinned on their line by NSW

:lol:

c'mon Joker........be serious.:p

Big Pete

Referee
Dave was playing a fair bit of prop last year and did fairly well coming off the bench.

Was responsible for the Hoppa try. His marker defence on Kidley in the lead up was shoddy.

Joker's Wild

Coach
QLD have others to do the yard work. He'll be used as an impact player mate. Nobody wants to see him with a large tackle count and or with huge hit up metres.

Quality not quantity is what Dave Taylor is about

.......and as for QLD being pinned on their line by NSW

:lol:

c'mon Joker........be serious.:p

Watevs bro

I really hope you're one of the Qlders I encounter out in town up here when NSW wins the series. You won't miss me cause Im gonna be the fella giving it deluxe to everyone in a maroon jersey

Don't say i didn't warn ya ;-)

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Should i arange an ambulance for a femine looking male dressed in a blues jersey after origin 3? Oh shit hang on we will ready have it wrapped up by then saving your life. You should write a thank you letter to Big Mal right now.

QLD's winning streak will have to come to an end eventually.

Given the roster that we have currently,and the roster that the Blues have currently,when that day arises QLD can rest assured that they won't be losing six series in a row.

More than likely when that day comes QLD would drop a series,then would win a couple more.

The current winning streak by QLD will be viewed by posterity as The Best Origin sides yet seen,by dint of their unprecedented run of consecutive victories.

All of the members of those sides will be remembered for their contributions to that achievement.The individuals who were a part of all of those games,will rightly be held-up as towering figures in Rugby League history(something which will never be achieved by the likes of Gallen,Pearce and their cohorts).

When The NSW team finally wins and ends this winning streak,that win will be viewed by history as just another win.The QLDers achievement of the last six years will live on as one of the greatest ever accomplishments in the history of the proud game of Rugby League.

Given that last paragraph,when the streak comes to an end, I think that QLDers will be able to absorb the heckles of the NSW doops with a quiet inner satisfaction that it was their QLD State team that will be enshrined by history and that the NSW team that defeated them will be largely overlooked by time.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Should i arange an ambulance for a femine looking male dressed in a blues jersey after origin 3? Oh shit hang on we will ready have it wrapped up by then saving your life. You should write a thank you letter to Big Mal right now.

You'll disappear again if the maroons get done. Loving Fourex's delusion regarding Dave Taylor, the bloke's supposed to have been "unstoppable" for a long time now, yet remains a peaheart

Latest posts