What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld soo side

Hutty1986

Immortal
Look.....all jibes a side. He's pretty one dimensional mate

Yes......he's in a purple patch

but

he's no Cam Smith.

Gal had some sh*t in his game a few years ago, but it's a bit farkin harsh to lump him in with the likes of Gids at SOO level!

Mr Fourex

Bench
Gal had some sh*t in his game a few years ago, but it's a bit farkin harsh to lump him in with the likes of Gids at SOO level!

There is STILL grubby shit in his game and he will NEVER completely be able to get rid of it.

He's a grub.

That's said........you're right, he aint no Kurt Gidley and should in no way be even remotely compared to him. Gallen is made for State of Origin. He is one of the few NSWelshmen, in recent years, who has put his body on the line for his state.

If you'll excuse the term "passion" (I know some of you NSW girls get ancy about it) that's what Paul Gallen does have......Gallons of it. It's his one redeeming quality.

Gallen is no myth

I've never understood the hype with Gidley. Average player.........

If he's captain this year and next,and NSW lose this year and next, will you still be singing his praises?

That has to be a possibility. No-one can say that it is a strong possibility but it is certainly not an impossibility.He has been the same at Origin level for a few years now.His pluses of tireless work-rate and ability to take punishment have not outweighed his deficiencies,nor has his contribution turned the tide or been the cornerstone upon which victory has been established. So given that truth, just what is it about Gallen's game, at Origin level, that has you convinced that he is any answer to NSW's dilemma?

No doubt a bit of bias here, but how about looking at Reece Robinson for that troublesome wing spot? Been in absolute superb form for the Raiders, and is a safe, reliable and dependable player. You won't see much fireworks akin to a Slater, Inglis etc., but you certainly won't see any **** ups. As you may have seen with the Raiders, he has the potential to create something out of nothing, however.

From left-field no doubt, but I lol at the suggestion of Ash Graham in a recent article.

Bretto

Bench
So I'm thinking...

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. ?? (Brent Tate)
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooker Cronk
8. Matt Scott (Ben Hannant?)
9. Cameron Smith
10. David Shillington (Petero Civoniceva?)
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Ashley Harrison (Corey Parker?)

Interchange - Matt Gillett, David Taylor...

So I guess the questions become: Who do you play as the starting props? Does either Parker or Gillett have to miss out? Do they leave Gillett out all together, then maybe bring him in if QLD are 2-0 up? Does Taylor get a spot? Does Petero get a spot? Who plays in the #5 jersey?

So spoiled for choice. It's almost embarrasing.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Neilsen if fit is the winger, simple as that. Scott and Petro the starting props. Hannant and Shillo on the bench. Taylor OR Gillett, with DCE as the utility.

Hutty1986

Immortal
If he's captain this year and next,and NSW lose this year and next, will you still be singing his praises?

That has to be a possibility. No-one can say that it is a strong possibility but it is certainly not an impossibility.He has been the same at Origin level for a few years now.His pluses of tireless work-rate and ability to take punishment have not outweighed his deficiencies,nor has his contribution turned the tide or been the cornerstone upon which victory has been established. So given that truth, just what is it about Gallen's game, at Origin level, that has you convinced that he is any answer to NSW's dilemma?

Yes, the truth is Gallen has been involved with some horrendous NSW losses over the past 6 years, some as captain. He's not perfect and like XXXX said, there's still some grubbiness in his game but he's a leader and a champion and he has a f*cking go. Qld have won 6 straight not just because they have brilliance in key positions but because they do the 1%'ers consistently and win the big moments. Gal will be there working his arse off to help us do the same thing.

I dunno if Sticky threw one up your missus or something but he is a good coach and he loves the Blues. Gallen deserves a SOO series victory and despite your ramblings about him, he's the bloke to lead NSW from the darkest period in its history

Mr Fourex

Bench
Gallen deserves a SOO series victory and despite your ramblings about him, he's the bloke to lead NSW from the darkest period in its history

Deserves aint got nothing to do with it.

american-empire-unforgiven-1.jpg

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well the question has to be asked: How many losing series does he have to participate in, for you to change your mind?

I really cant see how you can trot this line out again and again mate. He is one player in 17 that has to run out on the field for NSW to compete. Him being in the side has absolutely nothing to do NSW losing the last 6 series, in fact without him we would have been even more f**ked than we have been.

1 player does not win you a SOO series by themselves, same as 1 player doesnt lose them. The proof is in the pudding with Gal and you simply cannot deny that he is a massive positive for the Blues. We need more like him, not less no matter how many series we lose

bennySW

Juniors
I know this sounds a little 'left field' but here me out.

1. Billy Slater
2. Greg Inglis
3. Dave Taylor or Tonga
4. Justin Hodges
5. Darius Boyd
6. Johnathan Thurston
7. Cooker Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith
10. David Shillington
11. Nate Myles
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

Bench: Civo & Tate or taylor/Tonga & Hammant & who ....

Then you have the mobility of Tate / Tonga who can cover Wing - Centres,
plus then swap Taylor to the forwards to give them a break.
Taylor in the centres to run a muck over the smaller centre combination. plus has the speed.
Civo on the bench as we know he can perform but can also be used as a 2nd rower / Front Row
Inglis to be a 2nd full back, we know he can find the ball and would be leathal with slater. NSW wouldn't know which way to look.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yuck...and I am am being kind, Inglis is a centre at Origin level...Dave Taylor/Tonga are not as good! Tate on the bench is laughable...that is Tim Sheens at his finest with a centre on the bench! Stop being stupid, the centre WILL be Inglis, the winger WILL be one of Neilsen/Chambers/Tate. Harrison will be the lock, and Parker will be on the bench (if at all).

bennySW

Juniors
HAY, where did Taylor start his rugby "Centres"... as I said "its a wild shot, with probably odds of 501/1)"

Bretto

Bench
Taylor in the centres looks good on paper because he's big, fast and powerful. The problem is that he's playing out of position, and he doesn't have the foot speed in the defensive line to cover the likes of Jennings. Jennings would towel him up.

AuDragon

Juniors
It's not like Taylor plays any closer to the ruck at 5(c)uff$, so centre would suit him... Except he would be raped at Origin level in that position!

betcats

Referee
Why the hell would qld play Taylor in the Centres? You have plenty of quality centres and backs :crazy:

lockyno1

Post Whore
HAY, where did Taylor start his rugby "Centres"... as I said "its a wild shot, with probably odds of 501/1)"

A wild shot is DCE at halfback over Cronk..a stupid shot is Taylor in the centres! One is a possibility, one is about the same chance as Parramatta and the Gold Coast being in the grand final this year!:lol: