What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld soo side

Barba should not be in the team. He might be a good ball runner, but his defence is not up to scratch for Origin. The same goes for Bowen.

Tonga is superb at Origin level,but Tate is as good in defence, plus he offers more in attack. Taylor is good in defence,has good ball playing skills,but is slow off the mark from a standing start.He could stand to lose a few kilos and acquire some agility( a sidestep) plus work on fending off the opposition and offloading the ball,rather than just barrelling into them.

Sandow should never be considered for Origin. He like Pearce is too hot and cold.

I think that Petero has played his last Origin game last year. I'm not selecting for QLD however,and the big fella might surprise me (in a good way) if he does get selected. He doesn't seem to have found his 'spark' in the new-look Broncos side. He lacks the enthusiasm of the young up and comers, and it shows.

The number one ingredient for Origin is rock solid defence.The second must have for Origin is preparedness to back-up the man with the ball when he makes a break. Those two qualities must be there in every player without exception. Defence not only relates to nullifying the opposition attack, it also means not giving away stupid penalties. Preparedness to back-up the ball player means that there are options on either side when the ball player encounters an opposition defender. Preparedness to back-up also acknowledges the concept that individuals don't win games, teamwork does.

Most of the players that QLD choose are solid defenders. Many who previously had issues with backing-up(flaws relating to this) are resolving those. Some of QLD's best players are in the best form that they have taken into any Origin series. They are also playing fantastic team football for their club sides, to go along with their individual brilliance.

There is no such thing as an Origin series victory that wins itself. QLD has been aided for the last six years by NSW's poor selections. That in itself has taken some pressure off QLD, and presented them with many opportunities during the games themselves. If NSW gets their selections right, we won't get so many opportunities.Luckily for us, Stuart is a parochial selector who has no idea. He can be relied upon to torpedo NSW's chances weeks before any player preparations commence. He values that which is irrelevant at Origin level,and overlooks the deficits which should automatically disqualify a player from Origin selection.That I feel is the difference between the two coaches. Mal knows who not to select. He then knows how to get the players that he selects,to work as a team. Stuart talks in 'buzz' words: "passion", "consistency", "vision" then selects players with passion who are themselves inconsistent and lack vision.

There are no sure things in Origin, but Stuart sure makes it easier for QLD. If QLD are prepared to work together,they are a good chance to take another series.

isaiah

Bench
Being close to the surface, but still under water means that you drown just the same. Game 3 proved that NSW were not close at all.

but gallen and gould and probably sticky would say were the better team in game one and deserved to have already won the series after 2 games, lol.

Mr Saab

Referee
Last year was like the closest we have come to winning a series since the streak started.

2008 NSW were closer....but Bellamy decided to start Gidley at fulback in game 3 instead of B Stewart (who was very very very good in those days)
NSW lost 16-10

Big Pete

Referee
In fairness Kidley actually started that game extremely well. So well in fact it fooled NSW into making him captain and giving him immunity.

That was a funny game in hindsight. Even without their starting halfback Qld somehow managed to beat NSW.

Hutty1986

Immortal
In fairness Kidley actually started that game extremely well. So well in fact it fooled NSW into making him captain and giving him immunity.

That was a funny game in hindsight. Even without their starting halfback Qld somehow managed to beat NSW.

Didn't the Blues have Pearce & Anasta as their halves that night? We were probably lucky to score a point!

but gallen and gould and probably sticky would say were the better team in game one and deserved to have already won the series after 2 games, lol.

Explain how the better team loses the game, and the lesser team wins.

By Gallen,Sticky and Gould's reasoning the better team lost to the lesser team in Game 1, was comprehensively blown off the park by the lesser team in Game 3, and winning one game in a best of three series translates to being better.

That's good reasoning. :roll:

RABK

Referee
Never understood the love affair with Gidley. He is a 1st grader...no more no less.

Mate i'd argue at some clubs he'd be lucky to jag a bench spot. Easily the most overated player of the last decade yet everyone involved in league - media, coaches, players all talk him up like he is an immortal must pick in every side!

Mr Saab

Referee
Mate i'd argue at some clubs he'd be lucky to jag a bench spot. Easily the most overated player of the last decade yet everyone involved in league - media, coaches, players all talk him up like he is an immortal must pick in every side!

Agreed. Lucky he is a Newcastle and NSW problem and not a Broncos and QLD problem.

Sticky has him pencilled-in already.

That's why NSW have picked-up a millstone as opposed to a lifebuoy,when they took Stuart on board. His f*cked-up selections.

When I heard that Stuart had been chosen to be the full-time coach for NSW last year, I thought that they might be a hope to break to streak. As soon as he said in 2011 that the only certainties were Gallen and Gidley,I knew that his folly was in his selection criteria. Selection was almost always NSW's greatest blunder. My impression of the NSW 'overhaul' last year was that the coach would get exclusive selection veto. As it turned-out Bozo was the carry-over from the Old Rot. Sticky can't lay the blame on Bozo, because Mini, Gallen, Gidley, Dugan and others were his selections. Bozo buzzing in his ear couldn't have helped the situation either.

Here we are, one year on and it's: "Gallen and Gidley" again. What they both bring to Origin does not counteract their deficiencies. The pluses in their games is swamped by the negatives, at Origin level. Their deficiencies are not so exposed at club level. The make-up of the QLD team guarantees that they will exploit those weaknesses. If NSW can't put up a team that can match this QLD team,they are not competitive.

Passion,sticking with the same team members citing the need for consistency, attitude, "the look in their eyes", do not get around that basic problem. NSW are not choosing teams that can beat this QLD team.

QLD could easily choose a side that could be beaten by NSW. One that had passion, apparent talent ect. What will always be found out at Origin level, are the weaknesses in a player's game. Origin is the crucible where ratio of pluses to minuses in a player's game is ruthlessly exposed. Origin is the place where the sheer ability of the opposition,the pace and the ferocity all add-up to a pressure that finds the weaknesses in a player. Physical, tactical and psychological. If all that a player is bringing to Origin is attitude and club level ability, that is insufficient. Stuart chooses players who are not up to Origin standard. That is not the way to win Origin against this QLD team.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Sticky has him pencilled-in already.

That's why NSW have picked-up a millstone as opposed to a lifebuoy,when they took Stuart on board. His f*cked-up selections.

When I heard that Stuart had been chosen to be the full-time coach for NSW last year, I thought that they might be a hope to break to streak. As soon as he said in 2011 that the only certainties were Gallen and Gidley,I knew that his folly was in his selection criteria. Selection was almost always NSW's greatest blunder. My impression of the NSW 'overhaul' last year was that the coach would get exclusive selection veto. As it turned-out Bozo was the carry-over from the Old Rot. Sticky can't lay the blame on Bozo, because Mini, Gallen, Gidley, Dugan and others were his selections. Bozo buzzing in his ear couldn't have helped the situation either.

Here we are, one year on and it's: "Gallen and Gidley" again. What they both bring to Origin does not counteract their deficiencies. The pluses in their games is swamped by the negatives, at Origin level. Their deficiencies are not so exposed at club level. The make-up of the QLD team guarantees that they will exploit those weaknesses. If NSW can't put up a team that can match this QLD team,they are not competitive.

Passion,sticking with the same team members citing the need for consistency, attitude, "the look in their eyes", do not get around that basic problem. NSW are not choosing teams that can beat this QLD team.

QLD could easily choose a side that could be beaten by NSW. One that had passion, apparent talent ect. What will always be found out at Origin level, are the weaknesses in a player's game. Origin is the crucible where ratio of pluses to minuses in a player's game is ruthlessly exposed. Origin is the place where the sheer ability of the opposition,the pace and the ferocity all add-up to a pressure that finds the weaknesses in a player. Physical, tactical and psychological. If all that a player is bringing to Origin is attitude and club level ability, that is insufficient. Stuart chooses players who are not up to Origin standard. That is not the way to win Origin against this QLD team.

I can cop what you're saying about Gidley but Gallen is the best forward on the planet right now, hands down