What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qld soo side

Desert Qlder

First Grade
why would they leave out harrison?

I don't believe they will.

But it is my opinion that by picking Parker they can add a different element to the side. It is just the little tweak to add spark to the long-standing formula.

Meninga will need to find fresh approaches for this years series, particularly with the forwards. If the likes of T. Williams are to be picked for NSW, then they will come at us with attacking elements we've not seen from them for some years. If we go with the four-prop rotation I expect then mobility and passing will be crucial in the backrow. Parker offers that. Together with his capacity to play the full eighty.

It will augment well with the impact Taylor and Hannant proved off the bench.

But like I said, I don't expect it to go that way.

Mr Fourex

Bench
The Victorians will be barracking for their Storm stars, in turn Qld.

rolleyes-1.gif

user_nat

Coach
Anyone feel we might be better off playing Inglis at wing with Tate at centre?
I know which one I'd rather have returning kicks.

Plus Tate is a solid defender IMO.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Geez Nat........I'm starting to think of putting Slater on the wing and having GI play fullback

Nahhhh.......

I'm sure we'll get the ball into Inglis's hands often enough in the centres to see him carve the NSW numpties a new one.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Fabulous, I'm not the only one thinking this, and for the very reason you state. Thought I might be called silly for suggesting it.

Unfortunately though it is probably a bit too radical for the coaching staff. A conservative lot they are, but who are we to argue?

broncos70

Juniors
I don't believe they will.

But it is my opinion that by picking Parker they can add a different element to the side. It is just the little tweak to add spark to the long-standing formula.

Meninga will need to find fresh approaches for this years series, particularly with the forwards. If the likes of T. Williams are to be picked for NSW, then they will come at us with attacking elements we've not seen from them for some years. If we go with the four-prop rotation I expect then mobility and passing will be crucial in the backrow. Parker offers that. Together with his capacity to play the full eighty.

It will augment well with the impact Taylor and Hannant proved off the bench.

But like I said, I don't expect it to go that way.

There's no chance that Parker is more mobile and can pass better than Harrison. That's why Harrison is there. He has the ball skills of a 5/8 and is a gun player. Parker is a prop in the number 13 jersey for the Broncs. He plays tight, and the only passing he does is an offload.

atticus

Juniors
Any love for Bowen on the bench? He's back to top flight form and could really suit the role Cronk has been used in for the past few years. With his combo with JT he'll be dangerous near the line and he'd offer great value in being able to cover the backline/halves/hooker. I think he'd offer more from the bench than DCE or Barba would and has that experience also.

Any love for Bowen on the bench? He's back to top flight form and could really suit the role Cronk has been used in for the past few years. With his combo with JT he'll be dangerous near the line and he'd offer great value in being able to cover the backline/halves/hooker. I think he'd offer more from the bench than DCE or Barba would and has that experience also.

Bowen becomes a speed hump in defence at Origin level. Defence and deficiencies in defence have to be a paramount consideration at that level.

My two cents.

There's no chance that Parker is more mobile and can pass better than Harrison. That's why Harrison is there. He has the ball skills of a 5/8 and is a gun player. Parker is a prop in the number 13 jersey for the Broncs. He plays tight, and the only passing he does is an offload.

No one is knocking Harrison. He rarely misses a tackle in Origin. He rarely knocks-on in Origin. He rarely drops the ball in Origin. He backs-up well in Origin.

He is smart enough to be a team player in Origin. That is an intelligent decision, in and of itself at Origin level.

It is not his role to pass the ball. He receives the ball and unhesitatingly attacks the opposition defensive line. He defensively covers for Thurston. He gets little of the 'glory'. He is never the 'star' of the team. He just quietly goes about his business, with no fuss and few mistakes.

He doesn't give away penalties. That in itself is a huge plus.

Parker will do all of those things, just as well at Origin level, plus he has the ability to put on a sidestep and get away the nifty offload in a tackle. Parker forms a nice combination with Petero, Hodgo, Slammin' Sam and Benny Hannant.

Food for thought.

Not knocking Ashley. I've acknowledged his pluses and he basically doesn't do anything much wrong.

Mr Saab

Referee

I would rather Barba than Bowen

betcats

Referee
I would rather Barba than Bowen

Yeah if you were gonna pick a player like Bowen then surely youd take Barba over him. TBH Barba and Slater on the same team is pretty scary to defend against, plenty of weapons in the QLD side but those two blokes in particular you have to be 110% on point for the full eighty cause they can punish u from absolutely anywhere.

Barba standing in the frontline of defense would be worrying for qld though.

Disco

Bench

Name Inglis at Centre

Play him at centre in attack
Wing in defence

Simple!

andrew057

First Grade

What a load of shit.

hellteam

First Grade
Name Inglis at Centre

Play him at centre in attack
Wing in defence

Simple!

They will be on opposite sides of the field. Yow Yeh's right wing spot will be taken by Tate, Boyd always plays on left with Inglis.

hellteam

First Grade
- Boyd and Inglis have a good combination, would rather keep that together.
- Tate is a right side player (rarely ever played on the left)