What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

qld team announced

Paullyboy

Coach
We are seriously, seriously lacking in the backrow. And they leave out Harrison - and put in Stagg!!!!

Apart from that, and Berrigan, I like the team. Bell will play centre come wednesday week, whether he's named there or not.

And the best thing is, no merkin, I was terrified of seeing him in the team.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

Nate! Woo!

Bugger. That means four out on Sunday against the Pharks.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Where is Hunt? The selectors should get axed if Bowen has a crap game at fullback like he did last year. Last week they thought Hunt was tougher and more solid than Bowen. Why are these qualities less important in Origin. What kind of logic are they using.

JJ said:
it's always in the forwards anyway. NSW have the vastly superior pack, their workhorses (Hindmarsh, Simpson, O'Donnell) offer far more than the Qld workhorses (esp Stagg and Johnson, Price adds a lot though).

But apart from the form of the half and 5/8, where exactly does Qld have any advantage??? 1-17 (excluding 6 and 7) NSW by and large have better players in better form

You said it all, 6 and 7. Those guys create the play for out wide and NSW haven't got a form pivot feeding their outside men. NSW aren't even sure if Cooper or Gasnier are playing.

Granted the NSW forward pack seems better on paper. However I'd imagine Qld are simply trying to hold even. Also the impact of not having Joey leading them around the park is yet to be determined. So it might be a superior pack, but it might be a rudderless one too.

JJ

Immortal
Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
You said it all, 6 and 7. Those guys create the play for out wide and NSW haven't got a form pivot feeding their outside men. NSW aren't even sure if Cooper or Gasnier are playing.

Granted the NSW forward pack seems better on paper. However I'd imagine Qld are simply trying to hold even. Also the impact of not having Joey leading them around the park is yet to be determined. So it might be a superior pack, but it might be a rudderless one too.

Gower has been in good form, just struggling with injuries

They have a number of ball runners in the team, which will suit his style.

Anasta's the question mark - he needs to get involved, and he'll be fine. It Gower will distribute, Anasta can run more

borat

Bench
Leagueguy said:
Where is Hunt? The selectors should get axed if Bowen has a crap game at fullback like he did last year. Last week they thought Hunt was tougher and more solid than Bowen. Why are these qualities less important in Origin. What kind of logic are they using.

I guess Qld have the luxury of swapping Bowen and Inglis if needed or hooking Bowen altogether and pushing berrigan into the centres. They have plenty of options should Bowen start dropping bombs

miccle

Bench
IMO we will see Tate play on the wing with Bell on the centres.

That would make, in my opinion, Queensland's front row, halves and centres far superior to NSW. The Maroons also have better impact off the bench imo - Thaiday and Webb are explosive players while O'Meley is the only real impact player for the Blues.

This series will hopefully be more competitive than recent years.

QLD 2-1.

nqcowboy87

Bench
tate onto the wing bell into thecentres, i dont like to think about bell having to go back for a high ball

Dazzat

First Grade
Queensland didn't have choice for the backrow - only Tony Carroll, Corey Parker and Ashey Harrison could have been considered.

Queensland have the better halves (on form) and better front row. Civoncivea on the stats are the best props in the game. If Gasnier and Cooper are ruled out we'll also have the better 3/4 line.

By picking two workhorse forwards (Stagg and Johnson) Queensland is looking to shut down the metres in the middle of the ruck from NSW and win it on the fringes with Hodges, Bell, Inglis, Webb and co.

Carlaw, Costigan and Flannery could be back for future SOO games. Might help the pretty weak back row.

JJ

Immortal
miccle said:
IMO we will see Tate play on the wing with Bell on the centres.

That's the only way Bell will see the ball if Tate's inside him at centre

Disagree strongly that Qld's front row, centres (are you serious) and bench are better.

Front row (Buderus) are on a par. As for a lack of impact from the bench, again I disagree, the NSW bench has much more impact - more importantly so does their starting pack. The Qld pack is a pretty dull bunch really

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the qld starting side's backrow may not be an attacking one, but those coming off the bench will do plenty of damage. Stagg will go out there and tackle everything that moves and can play 80 minutes as can johnson, allowing the more explosive players in the team to come on and go hell for leather before getting a break.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Fullback: Edge NSW - Bowen is a real risk and could easily be contained like the final game of last year.

Wing: Even - Maybe a slight edge to King and Tahu over Bell because of their size and experience. However the way Inglis is playing he evens things up, especially if he is allowed to come off the wing in attack and get involved.

Centres: Even - Like the wings, Tate is still recovering and Cooper and Gasnier have the advantage over him. But like Inglis, Hodges is playing so well that he balances this up.

Halves: Big advantage Qld - Lockyer is in form this year and if he carries it into origin , then he'll be the difference if qld can match it in the fowards

Hooker - Edge NSW - Not by much though. Cameron Smith is a great player too.

Back Row- Big Advantage NSW - Qld back row doesn't have the go forward. NSW can also match them in terms of work rate.

Props - Edge Qld - If Omealy was starting it would be pretty even but Kite balances things in Qlds' favour.

Bench - Edge NSW - Qld has a lot of go forward here, but Wing is a smarter player than Berrigan and a big plus for NSW. Had the selectors done the right thing and picked Bowen on the bench we too could have had a dangerous matchwinner come on at the end of each half.

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ the queensland back row. How Tom LL was overlooked is beyond me. he is twice the player stagg is and 10 times the player Scott is. Tom LL has the size, speed, strength and go forward that queensland so desperatley need.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Seriously berrigan is as good as a utilty as Luke Covell! He is not a centre, barely a bacrower and has hardly played hooker! Please if you want a utilty then someone like Justin Smith is a better option. He can cover centres/five-eigth/ and is a better backrower than berrigan! Also gives a playmaking option. Berrigan is a TERRIBLE choice and I'm a broncos supporter!

Leagueguy

Juniors
Has Tom Learoyd said he wants to play for Qld. I agree he has more potential than Stagg or Johnson, but is he still a little underdone at this point?

waltzing Meninga said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: @ the queensland back row. How Tom LL was overlooked is beyond me. he is twice the player stagg is and 10 times the player Scott is. Tom LL has the size, speed, strength and go forward that queensland so desperatley need.

He's also not eligible.

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:

They were looking for workhorses in the pack, QLD has those now. Plus Stagg plays with Lockyer and that is one big factor. I rate Scott very highly and I am happy he has been picked. Plus he has his combination with Thurston. No problem there!