What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Qual. Final v Manly, SFS

Rabbits20

Immortal
I read today Matty Johns has some mail that Sutto will start from the bench. Who knows if that's true we will just have to wait and see.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I read today Matty Johns has some mail that Sutto will start from the bench. Who knows if that's true we will just have to wait and see.

Seems like a Maguire thing to do, name Sutto at 12. and then move him to the bench last minute. I wouldn't be surprised to see McQueen start and Sutton on the bench.

Big Sam

First Grade

Matty's 'mail' is usually way off but I can see this happening too. Get more impact from Sutton than McQueen after 20 mins.

Battle Up-front is Key - Lowe

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Chris Beavon
Thu 11th September, 11:49AM
Clashes between the Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles have long been known for their battles up-front, and this Friday night’s NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series opener will be no different according to Rabbitohs forward, Ben Lowe.
With the likes of Lowe, alongside Sam Burgess set to take on Manly’s Anthony Watmough and Tom Symonds as well as a vast array of talented big men up front, victory in the forwards could go a long way to victory in the match.
“Come Friday night, It’ll definitely be another battle of the forwards,” said Lowe.
“The halves always comment on when they’ve had good games, our forward-pack’s gone forward, so it’ll be a battle of the forwards to get that field-position for the outside backs and the halves to do their thing on the edges.”
“It’s going to be a tough battle. Manly have been at the top for many years now and are a very experienced finals football team. They’ll be doing their best come Friday to make sure they put their best foot forward.”
Friday’s match will be the third time the two sides will come together in what is certain to be another classic, with the victorious side taking a spot in the Preliminary Final.
For Lowe and his Rabbitohs teammates, while plenty of lessons have been learnt throughout the season, Friday night represents the start of a new competition.
“We talk about the new comp starting, and the new comp’s pretty cut-throat.
“You want to be at your best for 80 minutes or else you’ll find yourself (with your) season over. We’re definitely growing on how we were throughout the season.
“We’ve taken some good, and learnt from the bad things throughout the season. I think some of those games towards the back-end of the season have really fine-tuned us for hopefully what is a good finals campaign.”
To watch the full interview, please press play on the video player.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/09/11/battle_up_front_is_key_lowe.html

Matai lining up George Burgess in final
Written by: AAP+ Filled in: NRL News | 11/9/2014 at 2:45pm

Manly have warned South Sydney prop George Burgess to watch his back in Friday night’s NRL qualifying final, with Steve Matai hunting for revenge.
When the two sides met five weeks ago at the SCG in a game won 22-4 by Souths, Sea Eagles hitman Matai was forced from the field writhing in pain after a nasty chicken wing tackle from Burgess early in the match.
Matai, who has a long history of neck and shoulder problems, was forced out for a week due to the ugly tackle which went unchecked by match officials but resulted in Burgess being suspended for two matches.
It’s no coincidence that since the Rabbitohs rattled the Sea Eagles’ cage in that dominant physical performance, Manly’s premiership momentum has been significantly halted, although injuries have also played their part.
Manly officials at the time expressed their belief that Souths were seeking revenge for some shots put on by Matai when the teams met in Gosford earlier in the season.
In that round two encounter, Manly were spurred to a spirited victory when front rower Jason King managed to shake up the Burgess brothers.
No one dishes out payback quite like Matai and the New Zealand international has George Burgess’ number for the finals opener.
“I’m sure he’ll (Burgess) be a bit concerned,” said Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey.
“It’s a tough game played by some pretty tough individuals so no doubt it’s going to be a very physical game and we’re looking forward to it.”
Asked if Matai would be looking for Burgess, Sea Eagles teammate James Hasson said: “Steve looks for everyone I think.
“He’s a very aggressive player.
“Hopefully he can get a few of them as well.”
South Sydney’s perceived wrestling tactics have created a stir amongst rival teams in the lead-up to the finals and Toovey has given referees a pointed reminder to be on guard for illegal play in the ruck on Friday night.
“That’s the refs, the refs have got to do that,” said Toovey when asked what Manly can do to negate the wrestle.
The Sea Eagles are famous for adopting the siege mentality, and the backs-to-the-wall mindset has been in full force for the huge clash against the Rabbitohs with a week off awaiting the victor.
Manly have been whingeing about having to play their home final in the heart of South Sydney territory, rather than at Brookvale.
Yet in the same breath are relishing the prospect of running out onto Allianz Stadium to a chorus of boos.
“It doesn’t matter if they’re booing you or cheering for you,” Toovey said.
The Sea Eagles appear seriously undermanned in the forwards with Matt Ballin, Glenn Stewart and Jamie Buhrer out, compared to the size of a hulking Rabbitohs pack led by Sam Burgess.
Then there’s the internal war that’s broken out at the club over management’s decision not to offer Stewart a contract.
Toovey believes the perceived dire situation on the beaches will bring out the best in his troops.
“We’re definitely underdogs this week,” he said.
“All the critics have written us off which is great, we like that.
“We’ve got a resilient bunch of players and staff. We’ve got a great history at the club.”

Read more: http://www.sportsnews.com.au/nrl/matai-lining-up-george-burgess-in-final/123824#ixzz3Cz7TRfkm

Rabbits20

Immortal

You have to look closer NRL Match Centre website has Dylan Walker first they have Inglis and Johnston down bottom of page. You have to start with Inglis and AJ then you go to the top and Dylan followed by rest of team.

Picker is the no 20. The NRL team list is stupid and confusing in match centre and they dont have numbers just asterisks next to players names. This is why I don't use Match Centre for team lists.

NRL & NYC Previews - FW1, 2014

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Chris Beavon
Thu 11th September, 04:51PM

Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs
Allianz Stadium
Friday, 7.55 pm
The South Sydney Rabbitohs will take on the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in week one of the NRL Telstra Premiership Finals Series in what promises to be another classic encounter.
One of the game’s greatest and most fierce rivalries will be renewed when the likes of Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess and Adam Reynolds face off against Brett Stewart, Anthony Watmough and Daly Cherry-Evans for a spot in the Grand Final Qualifier. The match will be the third encounter between the two sides for the 2014 season.
The 2014 ledger currently stands at one game apiece following two matches played at a frenetic pace in rounds two and 22, and it’s not the first time that the two clubs will meet in the post-season, with Manly ending the Rabbitohs’ 2013 campaign in last year’s preliminary final on their way to a berth with eventual Premiers, the Roosters.
But the Rabbitohs won’t be thinking about history when they run onto the Allianz Stadium turf, with the team’s one week at a time philosophy ringing serving to focus the side for what will be their third successive foray into the finals.
Souths mentor Michael Maguire admits that his team has gained valuable experience from those prior appearances, but it’s all about Friday night and building on the performances of this season.
“We’re really looking forward to Friday’s game,” said Maguire.
“We’ve built all year and we’ve probably got six or seven new players in our team approaching this time of year and it adds a different dimension to us.
“The experience that we’ve had this year – it just gives us a great opportunity now with these young kids coming in and with our senior players developing the way they have, it is confidence.”
With the exception of the suspended Ben Te’o, the Rabbitohs will take the field with their strongest available side, bolstered further by the return of halfback, Adam Reynolds, who missed last week’s clash through a suspension of his own.

The match will be the twelfth time that the Rabbitohs will face the Sea-Eagles in a finals match since the north-siders entered the competition in 1947 – the Rabbitohs holding the balance of power in the finals ledger with seven victories and four losses.
Overall, both sides have met on 133 occassions, with the Manly side victorious 73 times, while the Rabbitohs have taken the points 60 times.

Last Time They Met
The Rabbitohs knocked over the then-competition leaders, in a brutal top of the table clash by 23-4 at the Sydney Cricket Ground in front of 27,062 Members and supporters.
In one of the side’s best defensive efforts of the season, the Rabbitohs continually put the Sea Eagles on the back foot throughout the match, while also managing to score some scintillating tries – notching up their fourth successive victory as a result.
But it was Manly who scored first – a penalty to the visitors for Souths laying on the play the ball, allowed the Sea Eagles to attack the Rabbitohs line with Peta Hiku diving over in the corner for the visitors. Jamie Lyon’s conversion attempt fell short, leaving the score at 4-0.
Two back-to-back penalties to the Rabbitohs marched the home-side up-field before a second-man play from Luke Keary allowed Kyle Turner to crash over in front of the Don Bradman stand to open Souths’ account for the night. Adam Reynolds converted from close range to take the lead at 6-4, with 16 minutes gone.
With 16 and half minutes left, the Sea Eagles mounted an attack on the Rabbitohs’ line that seemed would yield the visitors points. But Lote Tuqiri would have none of it – the veteran turning back the clock by intercepting the ball before racing 60 metres before being caught. From the ensuing play, Souths threw the ball out to Kirisome Auva’a who powered his way over to the sound of the elated Rabbitohs faithful. Reynolds converted from near the touch-line to make it 12-4 in their favour.
On the resumption, Souths continued to bash Manly in defence on their own line, keeping them inside their own 10 metre line for much of their sets. But Daly Cherry Evans changed the momentum of the game with a crucial forty-twenty that nearly resulted in points for the visitors had it not been for some desperate defence from Lote Tuqiri, whose one-on-one strip diffused an almost certain try.
From a line drop-out, a well-orchestrated set-play from Souths saw Kirisome Auva’a hit a hole on the 20 metre line, before passing on to Alex Johnston who crossed for the first points of the second half just inside the touch-line. Reynolds’ conversion went across the face of the uprights leaving the Rabbits two converted tries ahead at 16-4.
Some more brilliant defence from Souths saw Daly Cherry-Evans taken over the side-line to gift the Rabbitohs possession in good field position. The defence paid dividends when Sam Burgess was put through a gaping hole right in front of the sticks – the Englishman racing the remaining 15 metres to touch down in front of the Clive Churchill Grandstand. Reynolds added the extras to make it 22-4.
A late Adam Reynolds field-goal scraped over the cross-bar to make the final score 23-4, sealing the Rabbitohs’ fourth straight victory.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/201..._fw1_2014.html

Rabbits20

Immortal
This article about Manly just shows what bloody filthy pigs they are. They are very poor sports. Poor Matai is having a sook! Lol. James Hasson says Matai will be aiming to take a few of our guys out. In fact I think that's what all their players will do try to take us out so they can win. They will play filthy dirty football not in the spirit of the game to win.

Toovey says G. Burgess should be a bit concerned. I don't think Matai will try to injure him he is a coward it will be 1 of their grubby forwards. Their game plan will be called advantageous sabotage at all costs.

Then Toovey says he's had a word about the refs I assume Archer, about wrestle. Seriously they wrestle as much as we do it is a part of the game now.

Because we rolled them in the forwards last time Toovey calls it illegal ruck play.

We can't get roped in to their style of unsettling us. We need to play our game and play it very tough. In situations in the game it is up to guyslike Sam GI Sutton Issac to show leadership with cool heads.

Come on Souths time to FIRE UP! We can do it.

alien

Referee
You have to look closer NRL Match Centre website has Dylan Walker first they have Inglis and Johnston down bottom of page. You have to start with Inglis and AJ then you go to the top and Dylan followed by rest of team.

Picker is the no 20. The NRL team list is stupid and confusing in match centre and they dont have numbers just asterisks next to players names. This is why I don't use Match Centre for team lists.

they have inglis named first and at fullback. johnston is named second and at wing. they have 17 names there in order and the positions. they have 4 interchange and thomas burgess isnt one of them

Rabbits20

Immortal
they have inglis named first and at fullback. johnston is named second and at wing. they have 17 names there in order and the positions. they have 4 interchange and thomas burgess isnt one of them

I just checked on another device to what I was using and Tom is 17 mate. No need to bother because Tom will be playing tomorrow.

Search in:

• South Sydney's investment in their young players paying off in spades

League News South Sydney Rabbitohs Date September 12, 2014 - 2:47AM

When Michael Maguire took over as South Sydney coach in 2012 he decided the club would focus far more on development than recruitment and the Rabbitohs are reaping the rewards from the first crop of talent from the junior programs established three years ago having transformed his team this season.
    Dylan Walker, Alex Johnston and Kyle Turner all played in representative teams run by Souths Juniors but they have had heavy involvement from Maguire and his assistants Wayne Collins and Kurt Wrigley.
    While Souths Juniors retains control of their SG Ball under-18s and Harold Matthews under-16s teams, the NRL coaching staff work with those sides and the players are exposed to the same diet, weights and sprint programs as their first-grade counterparts.
    "In my time here we have developed young academies and Souths Juniors have been a big part in helping us to develop these young kids in better ways," Maguire said. "They are the first crop and those boys really are committed to their training and committed to what we are doing here at Souths."
    It is why Souths only recruits this season were Lote Tuqiri, Joe Picker and Joel Reddy, despite losing 10 players the calibre of Roy Asotasi, Michael Crocker, Matt King, Nathan Peats, Dylan Farrell and Jeff Lima.
    They also signed 22-year-old centre Kirisome Auva'a from Melbourne and his rise into the NRL side alongside Walker, Johnston, Turner and boom five-eighth Luke Keary has given the Rabbitohs greater strike power for their third consecutive finals series, which begins with Friday night's match against Manly at Allianz Stadium.
    "I knew we had this crop of kids coming through and I always had high expectations for these young boys," Maguire said. "We are lucky with Souths Juniors that they do provide some good kids coming through and now we have got our academies and development squads and those sort of things that we started when I first got here we are seeing the rewards of the time we put into those kids."
    Souths Juniors chief executive Luke Curry, who is the club's representative on the Rabbitohs board, was SG Ball coach before Maguire arrived and has had charge of Walker, Johnston, Turner and hooker Cameron McInnes, who played first grade earlier this season when Issac Luke was injured.
    Curry said he had no doubt the initiatives undertaken by Maguire had fast tracked their progress to the NRL.
    "The blokes who are coaching the first-grade team are now assisting to coach these boys and it exposed them not only to extra work but those kids were going up and dealing with 'Madge' [Maguire] and dealing with Kurt Wrigley and Wayne Collins," Curry said. "It is about giving them the experience and making them feel there is a bit of a pathway for them and Madge knows them by their names, and those sorts of things.
    "I have got to say Madge is probably the first coach since my involvement who has really focused on that. I think Madge has probably seen that development is the best form of recruitment and he has only got to cherry pick the odd guy here and there in the senior grade to complement the young guys coming through."
    Walker and 22-year-olds Turner and Keary played together in Rabbitohs under-20s teams before advancing to first grade.
    Walker, 19, and Keary made their NRL debuts last season, while Turner made his this season, along with 19-year-old Johnston, who has scored 17 tries in his 15 NRL appearances.
    "You always knew those guys were going to be something, the skills they had were unbelievable and I think they have really grown in the last 12 months," said Turner, who joined the Rabbitohs SG Ball team in 2010 after finishing school at Coonabarabran.
    "The senior players have been really accommodating and that has made it a lot easier coming into first grade. Guys like Greg Inglis and John Sutton are just natural born leaders. They tell us what to do and we just do it because they have been around so long and are such good players.
    "They always thought there was something in us young boys and they wanted to bring that out. They just used their experience and mentored us and I think that has really helped us to step up and perform the way we have."
    Inglis said he enjoyed seeing how the young talent at Souths was developing.
    "They are pretty much the next generation coming through and they have learnt a lot this season," Inglis said. "The way they have been playing footy, they are preparing well and they play with a lot of happiness, I can just tell that from the looks on their faces every time they run out there.
    "Kyle Turner hasn't been getting that many raps throughout the year but he has done a terrific job for us in the forwards and I just sit back and enjoy the skill and enthusiasm these young men bring to the team."
    With Johnston (17), Walker (11), Auva (eight) and Turner (six) having scored 42 of the Rabbitohs' 101 tries, Maguire said they also provided the team with a greater attacking potency than they had last season
    "They have given us a real different dimension to the way we play," Maguire said. "Every time we go sideways now we have got a bit of strike with Alex and young Kirisome on the left and with Dylan Walker on the right.
    "We have always been noted for our big men through the middle but I think now we have got these edges we can actually play a little bit of a different game, which we will see over the next few weeks."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-in-spades-20140911-10feub.html#ixzz3D33D8gfK

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ers-paying-off-in-spades-20140911-10feub.html

Galeforce

Bench
lol

we know Matai is a thug.
Interesting to see what comes first , there should be a betting market.

Matai down injured , Matai penalised , Matai taken off injured , Matai on report.

Mental games coming from Manly which shows where their head space is. Not surprised if Manly resort to illegal play to provoke Souths . It is the only way they can beat Souths tonight. Interesting to see what the refs allow Manly to get away with and if Souths can show the maturity to ignore a team on its last legs.

My bucket list from this game, the win , no South injuries , no South "on reports".

souths_pride

Juniors
Tonight was a good win but nothing more. I'm happy with the performance but I'm definitely left with a sour taste in my mouth after the last 20 minutes. I'll start with the good. I thought for the first 60 minutes we played some of our best footy against a Manly side who I believe defeated themselves before the game even started. I feel that Manly went into this game with a poor attitude as all week the talk from the their camp has centred around the game being played at the Sydney Football Stadium instead of Brookvale. You could tell it had affected their mindset as a few of the players couldn't help but gripe about it in interviews they gave leading up to the match. What they should have done was not even worried about where the game was being played; its not as if these big stadium rules were introduced last week. Every team was aware of the big stadium policy in the finals at the start of the season and Manly should have been mentally stronger. In saying this, the Manly fans have really let their team down tonight in their hour of need. The decision to boycott the game is absolutely disgraceful and those Manly fans who chose not to attend should be ashamed of themselves. Sure you can be disappointed, but go about expression your frustration is a better way instead of cutting your noses to spite your faces; not attending the game was the worst thing you could possibly do as you virtually gave South Sydney a home ground advantage!

Back onto the performance and I really felt our outside backs stepped up to the plate tonight. All season the media has incorrectly criticized Souths for being only forward dominant. Well tonight is the night where they proved they have more than one string to their bow. I thought we lost against the Roosters because we didn't utilise our backs enough but tonight they put on a masterclass. Dylan Walker was sensational with the lines he ran and his elusiveness. Auva'a was also fantastic and go on the outside of his man so often it was embarrassing! Johnston proved that he is not only a speed demon but a tremendously skillful winger as well and can make space for himself with his positioning as well. Full credit goes to Adam Reynolds as well! It's so refreshing to see him take the line on in addition to using his deadly accurate kicking game; he had the ball on a string tonight! Lote Tuqiri also had his best game in the red and green and I think he's just earned himself a new deal. I'd like to also highlight the fact that his decision making in defence is brilliant; both he and Auv'a obviously have formed a good partnership and communicate very effectively. The forwards were at their usual best as well. Sam Burgess was inspirational again and Isaac Luke was devastating from dummy half.

However, that is where the positives end for me. Sure we were good but we took our foot off Manly's throat and missed an opportunity to really send a strong message to the rest of the teams left in the finals. I'd like to make it perfectly clear that I totally disagree with this philosophy of resting players to 'prevent injuries'. Sure there is the slim chance that an injury may happen, but the positives of leaving them out there far outweigh the negatives. What was alarming for me was how bad we were when Sam Burgess left the field. It got to the stage where had to get off his seat a couple of times and had to bark instructions and no doubt gave the team a blast for switching off; that shouldn't happen. Our ball control in the last 20 minutes was terrible as was our communication in defence. Brett Stewart's try was soft and the kick that led to Jamie Lyon's try was poorly defended. Tom Symonds grabbed a try from a ball which should have easily been cleaned up and Cheyse Blair's try was all about matching Manly's numbers on that side of the field. It was basic stuff and we switched off. In doing that, we've sent a message to all the other finals teams that there is every chance that we might do that against them and that they can score points against us. If we had kept a few of our stars on and maintained our focus and put 50 on them like we should have, then we would be going into the grand final qualifying game full of confidence against an opposition side which could well be very very nervous. Instead our confidence may be pegged back a bit as a result of that last 20 minutes. All in all though, a good performance but we need to play the full 80 no matter what the circumstances. Not doing so leads to bad habits!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Great summary Souths Pride. Letting the tries in was bad but another wake up call on how hard we need to work for the full 80. I think if we had scored over 50 and kept Manly out some of our younger players might have got ahead of themselves. Now they have seen they are not invincible and they and the rest of our team need to make sure that does not happen again.

Stewarts try wasn't a try it went 3 metres forward from Taufua. Jamie Lyons try was 50/50 I thought both Souths and Manly knocked on but us first should have been a Manly scrum feed instead.

In the lead up to the last try a Manly forward made a little knock on 10m out and Sutton and a couple of others pointed it out but the refs allowed play on. Off the play the ball Manly threw a long cut out pass to Blair who scored but shouldn't have if Hayne was watching.

Anyway I dont really care about that because Manly and Toovey are sucked in we comprehensively outplayed them and wanted it more.

I guess we were shocking in the last 15 we can't blame the refs. Manly didn't give up though.

I'm already nervous for the preliminary that is our biggest hurdle by far mentally. We need Roosters to beat Penrith so we don't play them in the preliminary. We would meet Cowboys, Panthers or the unlikely one which is Brisbane. Don't want to say it but win tomorrow Chooks! For our benefit.

Rabbits20

Immortal
GLORY GLORY:)

Lets try to enjoy the rest of the weekend I guess. But it will be hard at times to stop thinking geez the bloody prelim!

I've actually strained my neck quite badly from jumping so much! Haha

Big Sam

First Grade
Very disappointed with the last 20.

60 minutes performances are for Round 1, not a Qualifying Final.

drago brelli

Bench
That Souths coach carried on like an idiot after the game. If he was watching the game 12 of the 24 points came from 50/50 chance bounce of the ball kicks and 6 points came from a blatant forward pass, this had little to do with his players. That coach sent out a clear message to his team at 40-0 when he took Sam Burgess off to give him a rest.

Latest posts