What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland fans abuse players' families

Sharky Pete

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-fans-spray-bile-at-blues-20120707-21o7h.html

Cane toads' fans spray bile at Blues

Date July 8, 2012

Danny Weidler

QUEENSLAND'S feral fans turned on some of their worst behaviour and directed it at the families of the Blues stars on Wednesday night. Greg Bird was forced to watch his sister booted from Suncorp Stadium after his family was abused by fans throughout the night.

And Brett Stewart had to endure some horrible taunts that angered officials in the Blues team. Bird's family members were set upon by fans, who kept calling him a ''glasser'' in reference to his well-documented drama in 2008 with his girlfriend at the time. Bird was eventually found not guilty of the charge.

Bird's mum Iris eventually lost patience and threw a drink on those giving it to her son. His sister got involved when things got heated and was removed from the area. Luke Lewis's mum Sharon also defended Iris.

It happened at the end of the game, with Bird watching on from the field. He was concerned at the time.

The attacks on Stewart were verbal - after he scored his try, the fans broke into a chant of ''rapist'' - referring to a horrible time in Stewart's life when he was stitched up by a crazy father who targeted him. Stewart was acquitted of all charges.

The Blues fullback rarely gets fazed by anything, but it angered those in team management.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Terrible behaviour if true but:

a) it's Danny Weidler
b) there are no quotes from anyone
c) it's Danny f**king Weidler

Sharky Pete

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/gr...-suncorp-stadium/story-fndv2twz-1226418307653

Queensland fans raise the bar on abuse with banner

Christian Nicolussi
The Daily Telegraph
July 06, 2012 12:00AM

GRUBBY Queensland fans stooped to a new low on Wednesday night by unveiling an unsavoury banner that dredged up the dark past of Blues playmaker Greg Bird.

After throwing cups of beer on several photographer's laptops at full time, then hurling foul-mouthed abuse at NSW coach Ricky Stuart and his players - not to mention Dave Taylor's one-fingered salute - one fan at Suncorp Stadium carried the banner.

The message scribbled on white cardboard was picked up on Channel 9's live footage and accidentally seen by a record national average audience of 4.041 million people.

It was a reference to the much-publicised 2008 police investigation involving Bird and his then girlfriend. He was cleared of all charges relating to the incident.

The corresponding game last year at Suncorp Stadium featured a drunk patron urinating in her seat during the post-match formalities, which was captured on YouTube.

Wednesday night's shocker came as a surprise to stadium officials who said they would have ordered an immediate security crackdown had they been made aware. "Displaying offensive messages is against the terms and conditions of entry to Suncorp Stadium," a stadium spokesman said.

"Had we seen it or been made aware of it on the night, we would have taken immediate action, as we have done in the past when instances such as this have occurred. The stadium does not condone this type of behaviour."

One of the most high-profile Origin incidents involved Gorden Tallis at ANZ Stadium, which sparked an angry on-field outburst after he read a poster that said: "Your Mum's A Rig".

The scenes north of the border came after former player Joe Williams accused Blatchy's Blues of racial taunts in Sydney during Origin II.

RHCP

Bench
Almost as classy as the bloke yelling 'Queenslander!' during the moment of silence pre-game III 2010.

The Bird situation soumds like bit of a beat-up, did she throw the drink because they were calling Greg a glasser, or throw a drink after they 'set upon her'? Two very, very different scenarios.

The Brett Stewart thing is low if true.

Sharky Pete

Juniors
Almost as classy as the bloke yelling 'Queenslander!' during the moment of silence pre-game III 2010.

The Bird situation soumds like bit of a beat-up, did she throw the drink because they were calling Greg a glasser, or throw a drink after they 'set upon her'? Two very, very different scenarios.

The Brett Stewart thing is low if true.

I think Bird situation started as the offending Queensland fans were repeatedly chanting "glasser".

Karl

Juniors
Doesn't sound like either side distinguished themselves in the Bird incident.

There are ugly fans on both sides of the border. If you went back and did an unbiased check, I'm sure that there would be a pretty even split on where the idiots reside.

The reporting in this incident seems designed specifically to be inflammatory and biased. No attempt at journalistic neutrality whatsoever. This Wiedler guy sounds like he has form as well. I don't know why media organisations tolerate (encourage? demand?) low rent crap like this from hacks like Wiedler.

All he does is bring the whole game into disrepute by publicising poor behaviour like this.

Danish

Referee
When Barrett KO'd Inglis in 2010 at ANZ stadium most of the fans in my bay (maybe led by me) were chanting "f**k you Judas" as he was walking around the fence getting back to the sheds.

Point being NSW fans and QLD fans alike are perfectly within their rights to yell whatever they damned well please at the opposition. Its origin. It is built on hate.

The mistake as far as I can see rests with the QRL sitting the family of NSW in amongst the locals and not in their own area/box.

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
It's pretty shit (for the families) if it happened. But let's be realistic, the QLDer fans would've have a fair amount of grog under their belts, so something like this was bound to happen...no big deal.

The players won't get any sympathy from me. Think of it as karma for all the times we (as fans) have been out and seen them carrying on like tools on the drink, or picking up a newspaper to read about some tool player doing something stupid on the drink.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I know we shouldn't expect any better, but ffs these articles are disgracefully written and plain unprofessional.

Mr Fourex

Bench
When Barrett KO'd Inglis in 2010 at ANZ stadium most of the fans in my bay (maybe led by me) were chanting "f**k you Judas" as he was walking around the fence getting back to the sheds.

Point being NSW fans and QLD fans alike are perfectly within their rights to yell whatever they damned well please at the opposition. Its origin. It is built on hate.

The mistake as far as I can see rests with the QRL sitting the family of NSW in amongst the locals and not in their own area/box.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

It's origin.......brings out the best and worst from both sides of the border.

_Johnsy

Referee
Cameron Smith was on Foxsports news in the lead up to game 3 imploring all QLD fans to abuse and give it to NSW all night.

No excuses for that type of sledging, I wonder if the people responsible would say exactly the same to the players face ?

Fieldsguy

Juniors
Cameron Smith was on Foxsports news in the lead up to game 3 imploring all QLD fans to abuse and give it to NSW all night.

No excuses for that type of sledging, I wonder if the people responsible would say exactly the same to the players face ?
:roll:

Righteous man, so righteous...

Mr Fourex

Bench

I'm sure some would.

Do you presume that all RL players can all fight like Muhammad Ali .......?

The pictures on your bedroom wall Johnsy might be super heroes to you but at the end of the day they are mere mortal men.

Pig Mouth

Juniors

Wow you need the noble peace prize.

Latest posts