What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Team

Red Bear

Referee
LESStar58 said:
You idiot!

Last I looked Lockyer was Australian five-eighth and captain!
Yeah but Barrett can tackle and will smash the Queenslanders, unlike Lockyer.
NSW by 12!

Ghoulies

Bench
GoTheBears said:
Yeah but Barrett can tackle and will smash the Queenslanders, unlike Lockyer.
GoTheBears said:
NSW to win easily
GoTheBears said:
NSW by 12

A 12 point smashing? :?

My prediction; Barrett goes down with a broken finger-nail in the 2nd minute, and Lockyer goes on to steer QLD to a 20 point victory.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Amazing, already we have a "no idea" Blues fan into Lockyer already...he truly is heading towards the Wally Lewis level. Does not matter how good they both were/are, they were still hated by New South Welshman. Keep it coming you predicatable sheep.

As for the QLD Maroons....

Well, well, well, Rhys Wesser can not do anymore to hold onto his jersey from 2004 and his head should be held high this morning despite the hollow feeling I am sure he has right about now. IMO, Wesser HAD TO BE AT FULLBACK, he has been in career best form and Slaters poor defence on the wing last season has seen Wesser lose his jumper. QLD selectors just told Rhys, "your not a better fullback than Slater". I have a hard time accepting that but we will move on.

Billy Slater was my winger but the shift back to fullback is as I said, for the simply fact he was poor in 2004 on the wing when asked the question in the front line. If we were to have Gaz or Cooper heading at him with either Rooney or King outside him, we could of been in for a world of hurt. I see their reasoning and it will perhaps be a master stroke.

Ty Williams in 2004 was near enough Origin material, he is a classy winger and will not let QLD down. I have not read the entire thread, though I would hope QLD fans are 100% behind the little fella' as he is a class act on the wing.

The halfback battle was always going to be close, I preferred Scott Prince the incumbent and better suited option to partner Lockyer, though I was of the opinion we don't lose much with either man. This could be the start of a very exciting chapter in the history of the QLD number 7 jersey...we could see the birth of great halves pairing at the same time.

All other selections were "stock standard" IMO. No real surprises in the forwards or the bench.

The NQ Cowboys have been rewarded for their great form over the last 18 months and their club should be appluaded...

The year 2005 is the year we reclaim the Origin Shield, get behind the team and have some faith in the QLD Selectors for game 1 is my tip as hard as it may be not to accept no Rhys Wesser.

BroncoBuck

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
Probably, although he didnt last year when he was battered...but we know Barrett can.

Lockyer missed the first game last year and was a carrying a rib injury in the other two games. He looks fully fit at the moment and I think we'll see a different result in origin this year.

borat

Bench
Billybob said:
how dangerous is that backline going to be

bring it on

i think that the qld selectors have just looked at the try scoring table and picked the team (except wesser )

Yeah, The try scoring machine of Paul Bowman bearing down on NSW. I am sure Gasnier and Cooper will be sh*tting their pants at the prospect of marking old man river.

Ghoulies

Bench
Tommy Smith said:
Yeah but last time i looked, Trent Barrett conquered all opponents in Origin and has done consistently in the Blue jersey.

Origin is the toughest, most physical arena of all...can Lockyer stand up when in the front line? Probably, although he didnt last year when he was battered...but we know Barrett can.

The gap between Locky and Barrett AT 5/8 is minimal. Don't underestimate Barrett's class.
]

If I'm not mistaken, Barrett was a part of that 2001 Blues squad that was thrashed by QLD in games 1 and 3.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Prince got shafted...

Im not a big Thurston fan. Off-field i hear he is no saint either.

borat

Bench
Ghoulies said:
]

If I'm not mistaken, Barrett was a part of that 2001 Blues squad that was thrashed by QLD in games 1 and 3.

:lol: :lol:

That is desperation if you want to go back to 2001 to make a point. Lets be realistic, they are both very good players, just Qld rely alot more heavily on Lockyer. Lockyer can expect alot of defensive work on SOO night.

Shifty

Juniors
There's no way "jersey grabber" Wesser should be there, his front-on defence may be good, but positionally and laterally he is pathetic. At least Slater has a go at cover defense or keeps himself alive, Wesser has no idea. Slater isn't the safest fullback, but I'd still rather see him under the high ball than Wesser. In attack Wesser is one of the most explosive players to pick from, but at Origin level he is too much of a liability.

Great to see Thurston getting the nod over Prince, but I do feel sorry for Prince after he was there when Queensland didn't have an Origin quality halfback to call on.

I'd have Stagg in there and Crocker should be gooooone. Flannery has been a valuable player for Queensland over many seasons. Adds plenty of impact, offers great utility value and lifts to the occassion every time. He would have to be one of Queenslands most underrated rep players.

Red Bear

Referee
Shifty said:
There's no way "jersey grabber" Wesser should be there, his front-on defence may be good, but positionally and laterally he is pathetic. At least Slater has a go at cover defense or keeps himself alive, Wesser has no idea. Slater isn't the safest fullback, but I'd still rather see him under the high ball than Wesser. In attack Wesser is one of the most explosive players to pick from, but at Origin level he is too much of a liability.

Great to see Thurston getting the nod over Prince, but I do feel sorry for Prince after he was there when Queensland didn't have an Origin quality halfback to call on.

I'd have Stagg in there and Crocker should be gooooone. Flannery has been a valuable player for Queensland over many seasons. Adds plenty of impact, offers great utility value and lifts to the occassion every time. He would have to be one of Queenslands most underrated rep players.
bahahahahahahaha, Wesser a Jersey grabber who doesnt have a go? Wesser has pulled off some awesome tackles this year and actually does have a go with cover defence. Slater tackles like a 3 year old

Line break = try for us this year :)

(Broncodroid, its called firing up for origin mate, dont take attacks on lockyer seriously cos i know he's a top player:p )

Tommy Smith

Referee
Ghoulies said:
]

Aha, that's where you're wrong. Barrett only played in game two...the match NSW flogged QLD in. And he was MOTM.:)

Ghoulies

Bench
borat said:
:lol: :lol:

That is desperation if you want to go back to 2001 to make a point. Lets be realistic, they are both very good players, just Qld rely alot more heavily on Lockyer. Lockyer can expect alot of defensive work on SOO night.

How is that desperation? People go back that far to prove Johns is the best player in the world.

I think with Barrett, if NSW start to dominate, they'll really pile the points on. But when it comes down to the tight ones, he starts to become less prevalent and NSW will have to rely on Kimmorely to tough it out for them.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Correction Tommy Smith...

In 2001 Trent Barrett took part in Games 1 and 2.

Game 1 he was on the bench where NSW were smashed 34-16.

Game 2 he started at half where he did indeed pick up M.O.M. with NSW winning 26-8.

Game 3 he played no part.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Well ok then, but he was on the bench and played no part in the initial mauling. So by which time he went on the field it wouldnt have mattered whether he was Trent Barrett or Wally Lewis...he couldn't have made a difference.

JJ

Immortal
GoTheBears said:
bahahahahahahaha, Wesser a Jersey grabber who doesnt have a go? Wesser has pulled off some awesome tackles this year and actually does have a go with cover defence. Slater tackles like a 3 year old

Line break = try for us this year :)

(Broncodroid, its called firing up for origin mate, dont take attacks on lockyer seriously cos i know he's a top player:p )

It's like some people are watching different sports. Wesser's form has been pretty much beyond belief this year - he's been the best fullback bar none. His defence has been exemplary, I don't see a single area in which Slater shades him (apart from his made for tv personality)

borat

Bench
Ghoulies said:
How is that desperation? People go back that far to prove Johns is the best player in the world.

I think with Barrett, if NSW start to dominate, they'll really pile the points on. But when it comes down to the tight ones, he starts to become less prevalent and NSW will have to rely on Kimmorely to tough it out for them.

Right now you think Johns is the best player in the world? Keep living in the past Ghoulies. The facts are that whether its Lockyer's fault or not, when Barrett and Lockyer match up in Origin Barrett more times than not gets the better of him. Barretts defense has been crunching this year and I expect Lockyer to cop a hiding in this game.

Shifty

Juniors
JJ said:
It's like some people are watching different sports. Wesser's form has been pretty much beyond belief this year - he's been the best fullback bar none. His defence has been exemplary, I don't see a single area in which Slater shades him (apart from his made for tv personality)

Wesser has been very dangerous in attack this year and has been making some awesome metres, but Schifcofske is IMO the best allround fullback Queensland have at the moment and has been for at least the past two seasons.

Wesser's front-on defence is very solid, but as a positional/cover defender he is clueless. He is a confidence player and when he is riding high he is capable of suprising by actually making a crucial tackle, but when the pressure is on he is liable to crack at any time and that is often the end of his game.

Slater is not the best defender by any means and front-on he has got nothing on Wesser, but cover defence is the most important aspect for a fullback IMO. Wesser does not read the play well at all, he has the speed to get there easily, but so often is easily stepped or commits to the wrong player. It's no use making a text book tackle on the winger when his support player is running around to put it under the posts.

Slater is a liability, but I still feel he is a chance of shutting it down when someone makes a break. I never hold much hope of Wesser coming up with the right play. Also Slater is improving with experience and becoming more reliable, Wesser may lift when his confidence is up but you never know when he is going to make an error and drop his bundle.

It's hard to weigh up the out and out attack of Wesser and Slater against the all-round strengths of Schifcofske, especially at club level. At Origin level I'd really like to see Schifcofske at fullback with Slater in the centres or on the wing, with Schifcofske injured I'm happy to see Slater at fullback.

If anyone should be at fullback atm, other than Slater, it's Bowen.

Latest posts