What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland team?

Kiwi

First Grade
This. Everyone are merkins, some of the merkins from NSW are merkins from somewhere else and some of the QLDers are merkins from somewhere else. Some of those merkins are homegrown merkins. Every single one of those merkins wants to play for their state with their fellow merkins. If they'd wanted to play for the other state with the other merkins, they would've.

So it'll be 17 passionate merkins v 17 passionate merkins. May the best merkins win.

And may the rest of you merkins give the boring qualification shite a rest.

Merkin:sarcasm:

big hit!

Bench
This. Everyone are merkins, some of the merkins from NSW are merkins from somewhere else and some of the QLDers are merkins from somewhere else. Some of those merkins are homegrown merkins. Every single one of those merkins wants to play for their state with their fellow merkins. If they'd wanted to play for the other state with the other merkins, they would've.

So it'll be 17 passionate merkins v 17 passionate merkins. May the best merkins win.

And may the rest of you merkins give the boring qualification shite a rest.

:lol:

that made me think of this.
https://youtu.be/2cV_q-mVAAA

I don't really think Gillett has shown anything in both club form or his past origin experiences to really deserve another call-up tbh.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
When you think if it, considering Queenslands recruitment policies, an out of state beer would make more sense on a Maroons jersey.

VB is crap beer though, just like XXXX. Probably why no one I know drinks the stuff.

you have to be over 18 years old to drink in this country
in a few more years you can try it. so can your friends

chigurh

I was 50/50 on Morgan or Napa, which is odd given how different their roles will be, but I'm quite excited to see how he goes now. Good to see QLD backing the forwards they've picked and looking to go out and score points.

Just have to hope that the refs don't destroy the contest like they did in Sydney last year with the ridiculously slow speed of the ruck.

tomdl

Bench
I like Morgan's selection. Would have liked him picked over DCE in the first place. Much more of a utility than Daly. Can pretty much cover any position from full back to hooker if needed and will play the role around the ruck that DCE played last year nicely.

Morgs officially in the side now, DCE out.

Good move IMO. I wish the Blues had someone of his calibre available for a bench spot. Actually, I'd have him in the run on side.

People talk about a back on the bench being a waste, particularly when you have an 80 hooker (as both teams have), but unless you have an genuine utility (ala Luke Lewis in his prime), you'll get cut to shreds if a back goes down and you throw a lumbering forward into the centres, especially if it happens early on.

QLD have 4 80min back rowers and 3 props that can play massive minutes. Add Lillyman and I don't know how much time a 4th bench forward would get anyway.

ek999

First Grade
From a NSW point of view I'm really happy that first DCE and now Morgan have been picked on the bench, it gives a massive advantage to the Blues pack. How much game time will he actually get if there is no injury to the 1, 6, 7 or 9? I've always held the view that the only reason to put a smaller guy on the bench is if your hooker cannot play the full 80, which Smith obviously can. I think Qld would be a lot morre balanced if Napa was on the bench and using someone like Gillet as the player to coverany unlikely injuries, like Jackson will be for NSW

Canard

Immortal
From a NSW point of view I'm really happy that first DCE and now Morgan have been picked on the bench, it gives a massive advantage to the Blues pack. How much game time will he actually get if there is no injury to the 1, 6, 7 or 9? I've always held the view that the only reason to put a smaller guy on the bench is if your hooker cannot play the full 80, which Smith obviously can. I think Qld would be a lot morre balanced if Napa was on the bench and using someone like Gillet as the player to coverany unlikely injuries, like Jackson will be for NSW

Morgs is 95kgs and around 6'1.

He aint a midget.

And I just posted the exact opposite immediately before you. :lol: You know what they say about opinions....

ek999

First Grade
Morgs is 95kgs and around 6'1.

He aint a midget.

NRL has him as 92kg but that is neither here nor there. If there are no injuries to the spine, are they going to use him as a running forward which he isn't suited too or as a third playmaker leaving them light on in the forwards?

Canard

Immortal
NRL has him as 92kg but that is neither here nor there. If there are no injuries to the spine, are they going to use him as a running forward which he isn't suited too or as a third playmaker leaving them light on in the forwards?

Game time decision basically.

wiputi82

Juniors
Good move IMO. I wish the Blues had someone of his calibre available for a bench spot. Actually, I'd have him in the run on side.

People talk about a back on the bench being a waste, particularly when you have an 80 hooker (as both teams have), but unless you have an genuine utility (ala Luke Lewis in his prime), you'll get cut to shreds if a back goes down and you throw a lumbering forward into the centres, especially if it happens early on.

QLD have 4 80min back rowers and 3 props that can play massive minutes. Add Lillyman and I don't know how much time a 4th bench forward would get anyway.

This.

Inglis has a bad knee, Hodges and his hamstring, Slater and his shoulder and Boyd has only been back 2 weeks. NSW are obviously going to try to bash QLD out of it like last year so one of those guys could easily get injured.

I wouldn't trust Gillett to play in the backs. He isn't mobile enough to contain a Jennings or Morris.

isaiah

Bench
This.

Inglis has a bad knee, Hodges and his hamstring, Slater and his shoulder and Boyd has only been back 2 weeks. NSW are obviously going to try to bash QLD out of it like last year so one of those guys could easily get injured.

I wouldn't trust Gillett to play in the backs. He isn't mobile enough to contain a Jennings or Morris.

Why do the bookies have us as favourites?

MightyMoo

Juniors
This.

That's a fair assessment.