What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queenslander!

Dazzat

First Grade
So Lewis was not able to play the same style Walters did?

So it came down to ability to play different styles.

So Bennet dropped Lewis because of his abilities?

Sweet.Your argument certainly keeps the myth in check Dazzat.

Thanks for agreeing.

I'm not a big fan of posting 1000 word synopsis outlining my opinions (as some are) ... so I'd advise to read Bennett's second book to get yourself clued up before making such posts.

You'll find Bennett has alot to say of Wally's ability.

I'd also advise to search "Wally Lewis" in U-Tube and get yourself clued up on Wally's performances for Wynnum Manly in the BRL, when he was at the peak of his powers.

If you're still not convinced I look forward to your 4000 word short summary of why Wally Lewis wasn't the best player of his era.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Daz -Lewis may well have been the best player of his era. I would have him right up there.
I am merely trying to keep the myth in check. Read back - see how the conversation developed, then contribute.

Cornerposter - maybe you would ahve looked good against the poms - but would you have looked good as Kenny did in the 82 Origin against Lewis - or the 81 and 82 grand finals like Kenny did? I think you missed the point, again sadly.

No Big Pete: he was benched - not resigned for lack of results which ever way you put it. Disguise it in new style, salary cap or whatever. If he was able to play like his superman myth for the Broncs the dumping would not have happened. The Broncos were under performing with Lewis. If he had played for Broncs the way he played for Qld - Broncs would not have had to wait until 1992 for a premiership. Christ their inception team resembled the Qld Origin side bar the Canberra boys.

cornerposter

Juniors
Cornerposter - maybe you would ahve looked good against the poms - but would you have looked good as Kenny did in the 82 Origin against Lewis - or the 81 and 82 grand finals like Kenny did? I think you missed the point, again sadly.
No f**ktard.

You claim Kenny was better than Lewis, based on the blues having a purple patch in the mid eighties. YOU FAIL :shock:
You claim the Aussie selectors thought Kenny was a better 5/8 on the 82 Kangaroo tour. This is despite the selectors appointing Lewis as vice captain. Lewis was then overlooked for the 5/8 role 'cause Stanton had his NSW agenda. Thus, it was the coach with his agenda rather than the selectors and Wally's ability that kept him out of the team. YOU FAIL :shock:
You claim Lewis was punted from the Bronc's because he had inferior ability. YOU FAIL :shock:

Strike three. Your f**ktard credentials are top shelf :clap:

Dazzat

First Grade
Daz -Lewis may well have been the best player of his era. I would have him right up there.
I am merely trying to keep the myth in check.

Maybe you should try defacing his statue, currently standing front-and-centre at the home of State of Origin.

We know Wally is human ... he had his gall bladder out on the weekend I believe. That will mean he'll need to change his diet somewhat - fat free. I was reading about it, the same time I saw Wally on TV promoting McDonalds.:shock:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
No f**ktard.

You claim Kenny was better than Lewis, based on the blues having a purple patch in the mid eighties. YOU FAIL :shock:

No I said Kenny has better head to head five eigth Origin record against Lewis. Played 12 - Kenny victor on 8 occasions. I also said Lewis lost his 82 jumper to Kenny. If anything I claimed the two had a great rivarly for superiority in the 1980's as witnessed on the old origin shield arm wrestle. I never gave mention as to whom was better bar mentioning Kenny had his measure in Origin head to head, as shown with results. You are illiterate.

You claim the Aussie selectors thought Kenny was a better 5/8 on the 82 Kangaroo tour. This is despite the selectors appointing Lewis as vice captain. Lewis was then overlooked for the 5/8 role 'cause Stanton had his NSW agenda. Thus, it was the coach with his agenda rather than the selectors and Wally's ability that kept him out of the team. YOU FAIL :shock:

Whoever selects the team to play is the selector in my view. Clearly team selection is a process from squad selection to game team selection and Stanton with his agenda thought Kenny was the better man. No fail. Prooves my point I was making in my riposte. The people who selected the Australian team to play a game did not always put Lewis there ahead of Kenny. Selectors did the same thing again in 1990 and 1991, yet you're silent. Watch the First test 1991 Aus v Kiwis. Compare that to Origin 1991. You might learn something.

You claim Lewis was punted from the Bronc's because he had inferior ability. YOU FAIL :shock:

Where did I ever say inferior ability? You are illiterate.

Strike three. Your f**ktard credentials are top shelf :clap:

You are an illiterate fool.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Maybe you should try defacing his statue, currently standing front-and-centre at the home of State of Origin.

Daz - as I have said - Wally was a childhood hero of mine, why would I inspired to do such a disgusting act to the man's likeness? Why would I be tempted to do that to any footballers statue? You have antisocial thoughts. Seek help.

cornerposter

Juniors
I never gave mention as to whom was better bar mentioning Kenny had his measure in Origin head to head, as shown with results.
and the point was made that the team result is not how you measure the personal battle. It's now clear you can't grasp that concept. :eek:
Politics of selection aside you have forgotten that the 1982 Ashes tour selectors did not.
Whoever selects the team to play is the selector in my view.
Good you see you now acknowledge it wasn't a group of selectors that chose Lewis over Kenny. Just one, extremely biased NSW'ker coach. - your welcome. :thumb
Where did I ever say inferior ability? You are illiterate.
So Lewis was not able to play the same style Walters did?
So it came down to ability to play different styles.
So Bennet dropped Lewis because of his abilities?
Sweet.Your argument certainly keeps the myth in check Dazzat.
Thanks for agreeing.

f**ktard - evidence #294

ANTiLAG

First Grade
and the point was made that the team result is not how you measure the personal battle. It's now clear you can't grasp that concept. :eek:

Does the word subjective mean anything to you?

I believe Wally lewis was a great player. I also believe Brett Kenny was a great player.

Good you see you now acknowledge it wasn't a group of selectors that chose Lewis over Kenny. Just one, extremely biased NSW'ker coach. - your welcome. :thumb

And 1990, 1991? Anything to say there.....

f**ktard - evidence #294

You are an illiterate and numerically challenged fool.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Cornerposter and Antilag ... let us come together in the common knowledge that we are Maroons. Now ... shake hands, clip each other over the ear and move on.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
No need to change the spirit of your message. Just apologise, then move on.

I never changed the spirit of my message. Kenny's career begs the question of the Lewis myth.

And Cornerposter you have nothing to say about 1990 and 1991 which also beg the question of the Lewis myth.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The myths:

That Lewis was without doubt the best player throughout his era.

Or

That Lewis was without doubt the best player of his era.

Or

That he was the best player without doubt since 1980 at all levels.

Or

That he was without doubt a better player than Brett Kenny.

Or

That Lewis was damn near perfect on a footy field.

Personally - I think the man was great. But Brett Kenny was great too. Joey, Daley, Fittler, Langer, Lazarus (yes I am going to put in a prop - he was awesome) were all great and influential players. Hope to add Thurston to that list soon. Its the without doubt that I find absurd.

I do not mind subjective opinions as it is entirely reasonable to believe he was the best player since 1980 - but the myth that Lewis was damn near perfect ignores his failings at the Broncos, it ignores Kenny's superior origin record heads on, it ignores his numerous droppings from the test team. (82,90,91 that I can think of off hand).

The man was great, but the greatest since 1980? Almost certainly in a maroon jumper. Granted on his day he could wreck havoc. But lets not ignore deeds done in blue jumpers or other colours when assessing the greatest. Would the without doubt greatest of all time be dropped 3 times by the test side, would he be dropped by his club? Look at the squad available to the Broncs between 88-90 and tell me why they under performed if their leader was so almost perfect and the best player of his era. Clearly was not the coach.

I am not the only person who who doubts Wally's almost unquestionable superiority myth over Kenny - there was much written in the 80's and early 90's of their historic rivalry - and am astonished that the myth has got to the point where raising the question is smacked as heresy in Queensland. It is nothing short of wilful blindness to Kenny.

Last edited:

cornerposter

Juniors
I am not the only person who who doubts Wally's almost unquestionable superiority over Kenny
You weren't just doubting the "unquestionable superiority" of Lewis. You were in fact suggesting Kenny outplayed him throughout the eighties. Then you went on to (wrongly) suggest the Australian selectors also thought so.
Heads up with Brett Kenny both in the five eighth position Wally was owned.
You are a f**ktard - evidence #421

ANTiLAG

First Grade
You weren't just doubting the "unquestionable superiority" of Lewis. You were in fact suggesting Kenny outplayed him throughout the eighties. Then you went on to (wrongly) suggest the Australian selectors also thought so.

You think I was suggesting Kenny outplayed him was that me quoting the statistic for the upteenth time that Lewis and Kenny played 12 origin matches heads on at five eigth? That Lewis claimed victory in four and lost eight in matches. Kenny won eight and lost 4.

If you deem that a suggestion it is an entirely reasonable conclusion for me to draw cornerposter. Personally, my intent was just questioning Lewis's record vis a vis Kenny as I dislike the "unquestionable superiority" myth.

Clearly the 1982 Australian coach thought Kenny was a better player for the test team - based on his outplaying Lewis in the 1982 origin game they had heads up, and Kenny's skilful participation in the 81 and 82 grand final victories.

You are a f**ktard - evidence #421

You must make your parents proud.

cornerposter

Juniors
Personally, my intent was just questioning Lewis's record vis a vis Kenny as I dislike the "unquestionable superiority" myth.
Yeah Ok. Exhibit #422 you are a f**ktard:
Heads up with Brett Kenny both in the five eighth position Wally was owned.

Clearly the 1982 Australian coach thought Kenny was a better player for the test team
Wally and plenty of others close to the team would suggest that Stanton's motivation was not that clear

Are you really that moronic / naive or are you simply a f**ktard?

I'm leaning towards (d) All of the above :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
The myths:

That Lewis was without doubt the best player throughout his era.

Or

That Lewis was without doubt the best player of his era.

Or

That he was the best player without doubt since 1980 at all levels.

Or

That he was without doubt a better player than Brett Kenny.

Or

That Lewis was damn near perfect on a footy field.

I understand.

Also did some digging to see where this whole argument started and I agree, to say one player is infinitely better than another is silly in my view.

To me, there is a tier reserved to the truly great and influential players and a number of the players you listed belong into that list.

Out of all the players I've watched closely, only three I believe belong in that tier.

Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer.

But that's enough about me.

I do feel you're being harsh on Lewis though AntiLag.

He wasn't dropped in 1990, rather he was ruled out through injury.

He did play in 1991 as well.