What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Titans fans and folks from the West of Sydney

L_W_P

Juniors
Junior numbers?
TV ratings?
Merchandise sales?
Newspaper coverage

And so on, which part do the swans win at besides a couple of k more at a match every second week?

dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/swans-hitch-their-wagen-to-a-star/story-e6frexwr-1226000443582

Their Bloods colours are valued in the millions after landing a new third major partner catapulting the sponsorship value of the club's branded uniforms beyond any other sporting team.

The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal the Swans have secured a four-year deal with Volkswagen Group of Australia valued in excess of $1 million per season.

Sydney's uniform is now valued higher than reigning AFL premiers and sporting giants Collingwood, while it dwarfs the commercial success of NRL clubs with few rugby league sides capable of attracting one sponsor worth seven figures whereas the Swans can now boast three.

----------

I guess that doesn't count though because it's from the a copy of last year's Telegraph so it's obviously propaganda :roll: Sales of tin foil must go through the roof with the number of posters on here claiming the AFL are out to 'get' them :crazy:

With 2 million plus people in the West Sydney region, the AFL are simply making an investment. They don't care about converting rugby fans or your kids. Not every one of those 2 million is a league tragic. Even if only 5% of the people there listen it's still 100,000. The AFL are appealing to those people and saying: "Hey, if you're not interested in League maybe you could give this a go?"

If GWS can get to say 15k-20k in members over the next 10 years or so the AFL would be over the moon. It wouldn't result in huge profits for the club directly but the flow on effect when it comes time for TV rights deals is impossible to ignore.

There is no way the AFL would have picked up 1.25 billion without GC and GWS.

Like many of us "Victorian Fumbleball" fans like to point out - there is no war in our eyes. Our game is simply expanding into regions that haven't really had a chance to see the game first hand.

One question I would put to the League fans who think GWS is a certain failure; Which would you rather the new NRL commission backed: the Brisbane Bombers or the proposed Perth team? How many more fans can you get to games in Brisbane? Would putting a team in an AFL dominated city like Perth really be a smart move or would you back the admin to put in for the long haul and try to carve out a niche, much like GWS are looking to do?

docbrown

Coach
One question I would put to the League fans who think GWS is a certain failure; Which would you rather the new NRL commission backed: the Brisbane Bombers or the proposed Perth team? How many more fans can you get to games in Brisbane? Would putting a team in an AFL dominated city like Perth really be a smart move or would you back the admin to put in for the long haul and try to carve out a niche, much like GWS are looking to do?

It's not a question of just those two.

Here were the options for the AFL:
* Have the Tasmanian government help co-fund a Tasmanian team
* Pour millions of their own money into Western Sydney
* Pour millions of their own money into Gold Coast

The AFL chose to neglect their Tasmanian fans.

Here are the options for the NRL:
* Have a State Government backed WARL team in Perth
* Have a team funded by a multimillionaire in Perth
* Have a team funded by a brokerage firm and others on Central Coast
* Have a team funded by a multimillionaire and QLD government in Central Queensland
* Have a team funded by a multimillionaires in Brisbane
* Have a multi-council and industry backed team in Ipswich
* Have a government and industry backed team in PNG
* Have a NZRL backed team in Wellington
* Have a multimillionaire backed team in Christchurch

Where were all the multimillionaires coming in to set to up GWS & the Suns?

Could it be that they're money pits whereas in Rugby League these millionaires actually believe that they'll one day make a return on their investment?

We look forward to your future trolling.

L_W_P

Juniors
I'm not trying to troll, simply trying to understand why most of you seem to think that GWS is certain to fail? I don't even see how it could be looked at as a troll when we are posting on an AFL forum :?

The AFL want a second team in NSW for the same reasons the NRL are so keen to get the Brisbane Bombers up and running. A game every week in one of the most populated areas in the country and an extra game every week to put into any package when dealing with broadcast rights.

Now most AFL fans were pushing for a team in Tasmania also, it made sense and there was a sense of ramoance about it. From the AFL's P.O.V. though Tassie is already dominated. The scope for growth over the next 10-15 years isn't near what can be achieved in Sydney's West.

With a team in Tassie the AFL are clear number one in the state. Without a team in Tassie the AFL are still a clear number one. They could've put a team in Tassie but they would be left at 3 or 4 in the GWS area. Clearly behind League and pitching the Swans (who play miles away) up against Union and the A League on TV.

GWS won't be an instant hit but the AFL would be hoping that they can use a team in Blacktown to carve out a nice chunk of the TV pie as the number 2 sport in the area.

As for the "Millionare investment" - Outside of Carlton (Dick Pratt) and Sydney (Geoff Eddleston) I can't think of another team in the league that has been publicly backed by a big money investment. They may be there (in the background) but we don't really hear anything about them so it's not as though GC and GWS are alone on that front.

Outside of Russell Crowe who are the big names that have tipped into the NRL clubs? What sort of returns are they seeing on their investment?

docbrown

Coach
I'm not trying to troll, simply trying to understand why most of you seem to think that GWS is certain to fail? I don't even see how it could be looked at as a troll when we are posting on an AFL forum

You are trying to troll and failing at it. Try harder. :lol:

L_W_P

Juniors
The Hunt thing is a genuine lulz thread :D

The guy hasn't played league for how long now? And you still throw out all sorts of venom. It should be a complete non-issue but you all can't seem to let it go. Talk of life bans for code hoppers is pretty stupid don't you think? No Sailor, No Tuqiri... and they're just the notables off the top of my head. I wonder what your thoughts are on that dirty code hopper Dally Messenger?

I'm still waiting to hear back on why these "Millionare investors" are so important for GWS and what kind of returns they are getting from the money they put into league clubs.

Would anyone like to actually talk about this or should we just go back the the "Thugby v Fumbleball" pissing contest?

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
The Hunt thing is a genuine lulz thread :D

The guy hasn't played league for how long now? And you still throw out all sorts of venom. It should be a complete non-issue but you all can't seem to let it go. Talk of life bans for code hoppers is pretty stupid don't you think? No Sailor, No Tuqiri... and they're just the notables off the top of my head. I wonder what your thoughts are on that dirty code hopper Dally Messenger?

I'm still waiting to hear back on why these "Millionare investors" are so important for GWS and what kind of returns they are getting from the money they put into league clubs.

Would anyone like to actually talk about this or should we just go back the the "Thugby v Fumbleball" pissing contest?

Talking to a troll is pointless.

Why would you even sign up here? Honestly, how empty is your life?

L_W_P

Juniors
I came over to see the reaction of Hunt re-signing. It was a shit storm when it first happened I seem to remember alot of talk on BF and LU about how Hunt would jump back to League as quick as he could once he'd played AFL.

I signed up because I just don't understand why you hate AFL so much? Some of the threads in here are mind blowing in the sheer level of disgust that alot of league fans feel about AFL. And if you do hate it, why spend time in an AFL forum? I just don't understand a) the hate and b) why you bother trashing it so much?

I'm sure I'll get some responses about trolling and all that but I was genuine in asking about these investors.

We've all seen the kind of chaos that private ownership can cause with the GCU issues in the A-League. If people on here think that there is something wrong with an AFL club because they don't have these investors, I would like to hear why and how do these investors work in regards to their support of League clubs?

How much profit has Russell Crowe made out of his deal with South Sydney? What kind of support does he invest?

I ask because Eric Bana is a big supporter of my AFL club (St Kilda) Now we are far from the richest club in the comp and if there is some sort of package that the club could offer Bana, along the lines of Crowe, I would be interested in the details.

As it is no-one seems to be interested in anything but a pissing contest rather than a genuine discussion about AFL.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure why they have reinvested money in Hunt. No doubt it was a gimmick when he crossed but resigning him on top dollar and making him one of the highest paid players, yet one for the worst is a bit puzzling.

Not sure why he is still overpaid, surely thats a huge waste of money now, and how do decent players feel about being paid alot less than the worst player in the AFL.

I think the AFL is very well run but this is very confusing.

docbrown

Coach
I came over to see the reaction of Hunt re-signing. It was a shit storm when it first happened I seem to remember alot of talk on BF and LU about how Hunt would jump back to League as quick as he could once he'd played AFL.

I signed up because I just don't understand why you hate AFL so much? Some of the threads in here are mind blowing in the sheer level of disgust that alot of league fans feel about AFL. And if you do hate it, why spend time in an AFL forum? I just don't understand a) the hate and b) why you bother trashing it so much?

I'm sure I'll get some responses about trolling and all that but I was genuine in asking about these investors.

We've all seen the kind of chaos that private ownership can cause with the GCU issues in the A-League. If people on here think that there is something wrong with an AFL club because they don't have these investors, I would like to hear why and how do these investors work in regards to their support of League clubs?

How much profit has Russell Crowe made out of his deal with South Sydney? What kind of support does he invest?

I ask because Eric Bana is a big supporter of my AFL club (St Kilda) Now we are far from the richest club in the comp and if there is some sort of package that the club could offer Bana, along the lines of Crowe, I would be interested in the details.

As it is no-one seems to be interested in anything but a pissing contest rather than a genuine discussion about AFL.

:blahb::blahb::blahb::blahb::blahb:

Eric Bana - can't even do a decent American accent.

spritzer

It's not a question of just those two.

Here were the options for the AFL:
* Have the Tasmanian government help co-fund a Tasmanian team
* Pour millions of their own money into Western Sydney
* Pour millions of their own money into Gold Coast

The AFL chose to neglect their Tasmanian fans.

Here are the options for the NRL:
* Have a State Government backed WARL team in Perth
* Have a team funded by a multimillionaire in Perth
* Have a team funded by a brokerage firm and others on Central Coast
* Have a team funded by a multimillionaire and QLD government in Central Queensland
* Have a team funded by a multimillionaires in Brisbane
* Have a multi-council and industry backed team in Ipswich
* Have a government and industry backed team in PNG
* Have a NZRL backed team in Wellington
* Have a multimillionaire backed team in Christchurch

Where were all the multimillionaires coming in to set to up GWS & the Suns?

Could it be that they're money pits whereas in Rugby League these millionaires actually believe that they'll one day make a return on their investment?

We look forward to your future trolling.

You have to be the angriest little troll on here, good luck with all your multimillionaires owning your RL clubs, i am glad they cannot own AFL clubs, you were aware of that weren't you ?, probably not, which is not a suprise.

Millionaire owned, or member owned, millionaire is the easy, lazy way out, something that would suit you.

Why would a millionaire investor who looks to make money, and take it out of the game, be something that you think is OK, and preferable to a membership model, sounds like someone didn't think things through properly.

TooFar

Juniors
Tears of laughter at the feeble expansion attempt of a sport whose fans pride themselves on their xenophobic qualities?

Shouldn't Indians only play their Indian games?

Oh the irony. You spend a lot of time bagging fellow Australians for playing and supporting an Australian game, yet you and most other posters here follow an English game. :crazy:

docbrown

Coach
Oh the irony. You spend a lot of time bagging fellow Australians for playing and supporting an Australian game, yet you and most other posters here follow an English game. :crazy:

Yes Cricket should be destroyed. It is a vile foreign game.

docbrown

Coach
You have to be the angriest little troll on here, good luck with all your multimillionaires owning your RL clubs, i am glad they cannot own AFL clubs, you were aware of that weren't you ?, probably not, which is not a suprise.

Millionaire owned, or member owned, millionaire is the easy, lazy way out, something that would suit you.

Why would a millionaire investor who looks to make money, and take it out of the game, be something that you think is OK, and preferable to a membership model, sounds like someone didn't think things through properly.

None of this, absolutely none of this little rant of yours adequately explains why Eric Bana can't do a decent American accent.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

seriously, is that the best you can come up with ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Flogball is about as Australian as a Yorkshire Pudding.

spritzer

None of this, absolutely none of this little rant of yours adequately explains why Eric Bana can't do a decent American accent.

It might not explain Eric Bana lack of american accent, but it sure put you in your place regarding a club that is community owned V one owned by a millionaire/billionaire.

docbrown

Coach
It might not explain Eric Bana lack of american accent, but it sure put you in your place regarding a club that is community owned V one owned by a millionaire/billionaire.

so you admit then that Eric Bana can't do an American accent?

Remember him in the Hulk? Rubbish!