What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Titans fans and folks from the West of Sydney

grobbelaar

Juniors
Any measurement that has a dollar sign in front of it - the Swans are far and away leaders in the Sydney market. I'm not quite sure why anyone would try and dispute that.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'm on the bandwagon. Let's face it, Rugby League in Western Sydney is practically dead, & in about 2 years time nobody will post on League Unlimited & everybody will join Big Footy. That's what El Diablo told me anyway.

docbrown

Coach
I'm on the bandwagon. Let's face it, Rugby League in Western Sydney is practically dead, & in about 2 years time nobody will post on League Unlimited & everybody will join Big Footy. That's what El Diablo told me anyway.

And I think there's also something about the rivers and oceans turning to blood around that time...

El Diablo

Post Whore

i've been telling everyone, not just you

first Western Sydney and then world domination!

grobbelaar

Juniors
Tears of laughter at the feeble expansion attempt of a sport whose fans pride themselves on their xenophobic qualities?

Shouldn't Indians only play their Indian games?

I see no problem with trying to teach as many people as we can how to kick a footy - we are making good progress in NSW - but much still needs to be done.

docbrown

Coach
I see no problem with trying to teach as many people as we can how to kick a footy - we are making good progress in NSW - but much still needs to be done.

India is not in NSW.

Why should overseas people play a foreign sport like AFL? Shouldn't they play their own sports?

Unless you want to be a hypocrite...

grobbelaar

Juniors
India is not in NSW.

Why should overseas people play a foreign sport like AFL? Shouldn't they play their own sports?

Unless you want to be a hypocrite...

It's about teaching children a basic skill - we Australians are the best at that particular skill - and it's right that we help the rest of the world catch up, including NSW and Qld.

grobbelaar

Juniors
Why do you get a point for missing if you're so good at it?

Adam
why is the League scoring zone 70 metres wide, while the Australian Football scoring zone is only 20 metres wide, on a field that's three times the area.

Who can answer these mysteries of life?

docbrown

Coach
Adam
why is the League scoring zone 70 metres wide, while the Australian Football scoring zone is only 20 metres wide, on a field that's three times the area.

Who can answer these mysteries of life?

The league dimensions come from soccer pitches. There are 13 players blocking that area.

In AFL you can kick it over the heads of the opposition into an unguarded space and if you miss you get a point for trying. It was the AFL's idea to have bonus points goalposts to reward failure.

Has the guy waving his hands about as a distraction ever stopped the ball?

grobbelaar

Juniors
The league dimensions come from soccer pitches. There are 13 players blocking that area.

In AFL you can kick it over the heads of the opposition into an unguarded space and if you miss you get a point for trying. It was the AFL's idea to have bonus points goalposts to reward failure.

Has the guy waving his hands about as a distraction ever stopped the ball?

I don't know Doc - the scoring zone is the full width of the playing field - it's incredible when you think about.

yes, it's true that you can kick the ball over heads - of course the ground is 170m long (on average) - the playing surface is over 3 times the area of a soccer pitch - it's a big ground - in fact the biggest.

There is an interesting history about how the various football codes evolved to work out what to do if the ball went behind.

With Australian Football, you earned a behind as long as it remained within a small distance of the goals.

Soccer gives you a corner kick if it comes off the defending team - and that's actually a larger reward than one behind.

But get this - the rugby codes reward you if you can get behind the goals - for the full width of the playing surface!! and you only need to fall over the line to score!!

docbrown

Coach
I don't know Doc - the scoring zone is the full width of the playing field - it's incredible when you think about.

A soccer net is about 7.5m wide and defended by 1 goalie.

Divide a 70m wide scoring zone by 13 and that's 5.4m per defender - so it's actually smaller.

Plus Rugby League isn't the only sport to use a goal line concept so it's not that incredible.

yes, it's true that you can kick the ball over heads - of course the ground is 170m long (on average) - the playing surface is over 3 times the area of a soccer pitch - it's a big ground - in fact the biggest.

Yes but you can kick over people's heads because AFL players are spread out across the field so it makes that irrelevant.

In terms of scoring zone the AFL has about 38 square metres of unguarded space plus an additional 76 square metres for behinds.

There is an interesting history about how the various football codes evolved to work out what to do if the ball went behind.

With Australian Football, you earned a behind as long as it remained within a small distance of the goals.

Soccer gives you a corner kick if it comes off the defending team - and that's actually a larger reward than one behind.

But get this - the rugby codes reward you if you can get behind the goals - for the full width of the playing surface!! and you only need to fall over the line to score!!

No you need to ground the ball. There are plenty of examples where players get over but are held up in goal. It's NFL you're thinking of.

And besides, if a Rugby League player misses and gets held up in goal he doesn't get 1 point. But if an AFL misses he does.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The Swans a failure? From most measurements, they are the biggest and most successful sporting club in all of Sydney.

Junior numbers?
TV ratings?
Merchandise sales?
Newspaper coverage

And so on, which part do the swans win at besides a couple of k more at a match every second week?

Latest posts