What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for Titans fans and folks from the West of Sydney

age.s

First Grade
The thing is mate is that the rusted on RL devotees like youself won't and aren't the fans that GWS/GC and the AFL are looking at. IMO it's the fans that are detached from League or kids in the area who have yet to devote themselves to RL. There is plenty of people to go around.....

So why make massive publicity grabbing plays at someone like Floau? If it's all for the long term why not go the softly softly approach like they did with the Swans?

Not buying it. They want Western Sydney to see them as the real deal and it will backfire massively. They can f**k right off to be honest.

Max9

Juniors
So why make massive publicity grabbing plays at someone like Floau? If it's all for the long term why not go the softly softly approach like they did with the Swans?

Not buying it. They want Western Sydney to see them as the real deal and it will backfire massively. They can f**k right off to be honest.

Fair enough mate, just my opinion.

In a competetive marketplace, and western Sydney doesn't get much more competetive, a passive approach may not be seen to be the right approach. I reckon though it's the kids they'll be targetting, not you. The don't want you to buy it, just your kids. Just my opinion as I said though.

age.s

First Grade
Fair enough mate, just my opinion.

In a competetive marketplace, and western Sydney doesn't get much more competetive, a passive approach may not be seen to be the right approach. I reckon though it's the kids they'll be targetting, not you. The don't want you to buy it, just your kids. Just my opinion as I said though.

Fair enough :D

They'll have me in the cold cold earth before one of my kids plays or watches the sport though.

clarency

Juniors
As many other parents feel. Kids may be the target but it's the parents who get them into sport. I never personally chose ANY of the sport I watched or played as a child. That's not a bad thing... merely a cultural thing.

I have nothing personally against AFL as a sport but their moves of recent do not make me want to greet them with a warm welcome.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Fumbleball has had a presence in QLD and NSW since before Rugby League even reached these shores. Brisbane had an AFL team before an NRL team, Swans have been in Sydney for three decades, etc, etc.

Max9 is kidding himself if he thinks that suddenly kids will get into fumbleball because of two teams which no-one wants are plonked top-down in their state…

It never ceases to amaze me at how easily led fumbleballers are. They toe the party line to such an extreme degree that they overlook the health of their own game.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with that

What some people are also unaware of is that AFL has been around for about 120 years and they talk about expansion into other states and overseas now

if it was going to expand into other countries, it would have happened last century

it will do OK on the gold coast due to the amount of expat vics up here, but gws has no chance imo

CyberKev

Staff member
if it was going to expand into other countries, it would have happened last century

Why would it have happened last century?

The (then) VFL didn't seriously contemplate national expansion until the 1980s and that's been its focus since, which is fair enough as it takes time to build a strong competition at this level.

It wouldn't have made sense to try and expand outside the country last century, as we didn't have the globalised communications and marketing vehicles required to support such an endeavour.

In saying that, its not as if they could generate the broad overseas public appeal to support the creation of an AFL team outside of Australia, and that's before you consider the wider cost ramifications.

There's precious little talk of going overseas and why should there be. The AFL is clearly the number one sport here and has been for decades. Its enough for the AFL to maintain this position.

Plenty of Media Coverage of the Suns up here for the inaugral season. Even though this is a Rugby League town there are alot of Victorians that have moved here and brang there kids up with AFL. Im sure alot of the hype will go away once they start losing games.

Also I dont plan on getting a membership
RL needs to fight back and not be so passive as a sport.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Why would it have happened last century?

The (then) VFL didn't seriously contemplate national expansion until the 1980s and that's been its focus since, which is fair enough as it takes time to build a strong competition at this level.

It wouldn't have made sense to try and expand outside the country last century, as we didn't have the globalised communications and marketing vehicles required to support such an endeavour.

In saying that, its not as if they could generate the broad overseas public appeal to support the creation of an AFL team outside of Australia, and that's before you consider the wider cost ramifications.

There's precious little talk of going overseas and why should there be. The AFL is clearly the number one sport here and has been for decades. Its enough for the AFL to maintain this position.

we have no number one sport ... as no code dominates the whole country
the AFL is clearly the number one sport in HALF the country ... & despite hundreds of millions spent in the last 30 years ... has not succeeded in its attempts to muscle in on the other half ... which has been & is still its aim.

they can keep trying .. flushing good money after bad down the tiolet .. its their dough & they can do what they want with it
but I don't see any change to the sporting Landscape in this Country in our life time ... RL will always dominate NSW & QLD ... the AFL .. the rest.

Max9

Juniors
we have no number one sport ... as no code dominates the whole country
the AFL is clearly the number one sport in HALF the country ... & despite hundreds of millions spent in the last 30 years ... has not succeeded in its attempts to muscle in on the other half ... which has been & is still its aim.

they can keep trying .. flushing good money after bad down the tiolet .. its their dough & they can do what they want with it
but I don't see any change to the sporting Landscape in this Country in our life time ... RL will always dominate NSW & QLD ... the AFL .. the rest.

This whole 'dominance' thing is so ridiculous....as you say Dave there is a huge divide running between state lines. Who cares?

I can tell you this from my experience and that is that Rugby League (and Union), and the Melbourne Storm (and Rebels) in particular, are well received down here. There is precious little 'us vs. them' mentality. Thsi whole attitude has been cranked up by the media and is elf serving to sell papers etc.

If people hate a sport because of the way it is administered at the highest level, then you need your head read I reckon. The craziest thing is the mention of 'war' when two football codes are concerned. It's offensive to those that have seen war.

clarency

Juniors
If people hate a sport because of the way it is administered at the highest level, then you need your head read I reckon.

Why? This is the exact reason why I do not like the AFL. I don't mind them having a niche presence for their own reasons, but taking active measures to interfere with other leagues (Australian WC bid, perhaps?) for its own benefit is BS. Plain and simple.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The AFL has no hope of ever winning the Sydney market and without that market it cant say it dominates shit all. I might have to work out of the West of Sydney next year and I am tempted to just move out there to save on a ludicrous trip from the city. I couldn't think of anything I would hate more than going to a GWS game. I honestly cannot wait til that disaster of a club is being worn around the neck of the AFL.

EDIT

Put me also down as someone who would otherwise simply be indifferent to the AFL but now actually wants the GWS to actually fail because of the administration. Rugby League is a part of my culture and the AFLs outright disdain and aggression within our heartland turns me off.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think the aggression and attitude of the AFL is good, they set goals and move forwards to achieve them.

The GWS is obviously their biggest hurdle and whilst I beleive it will eventually fail, they will no doubt pour tons of money into the area and I cant see them backing out in the short term.

clarency

Juniors
I can't see them backing out either, there is far too much for them to lose at this point.

Everyone can agree that AFL is the biggest league in Australia. The AFL take quite a lot of pride on that, too much in fact that they've made quite a few decisions with little to no research.

Once they realise just how much of a failure GWS is, they aren't going to pull the plug due to the concession of defeat. Imagine what the media will do to them if they did.

They've put themselves in a very bad position IMO.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think the aggression and attitude of the AFL is good, they set goals and move forwards to achieve them.

The GWS is obviously their biggest hurdle and whilst I beleive it will eventually fail, they will no doubt pour tons of money into the area and I cant see them backing out in the short term.

Aggression should be admired but they aren't going to win Western Sydney by acting outright hostile towards the culture of that area. The best they could do is carve out a niche anyway but they are actually turning people off with the way they act.

The Swans have been an absolute failure in the Sydney market and the AFL have been willing to spend 30 years behind that turkey. So yeah no doubt they will back the GWS side.

grobbelaar

Juniors
The Swans have been an absolute failure in the Sydney market and the AFL have been willing to spend 30 years behind that turkey. So yeah no doubt they will back the GWS side.

The Swans a failure? From most measurements, they are the biggest and most successful sporting club in all of Sydney.

murraymob

Coach
The Swans a failure? From most measurements, they are the biggest and most successful sporting club in all of Sydney.

based on what.Up to this year they had a higher cap to spend and got consesions in the draft and still run at a loss.They have done well since starting but the best is a laugh

Latest posts