What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on FIFA 2022 World Cup, $, & the NRL

macavity

Referee
gotta agree - we are no chance if the "ovals" are anything to go by.

I dont get this line of thinking that an oval is "multi-purpose". just because something is possible, doesnt mean it ought be done.

an oval is as suitable for futbol/RL/RU as a rectangle is for fumbles/cricket.

Goddo

Bench
The FFA and Governments know ovals don't cut it, and they really do want the world cup... The final bid book in May next year isn't even a guarentee of what will happen... I think they are just seeing how tight they can be with FIFA.

The government is a whore and will do whatever it takes. The benefits of the cup are far too great to pass up over a few measily stadiums. I recon "watch this space" is the way to go with this stuff... it will change heaps.
I still think Perth will get a rectangular stadium, as will Wollongong or somewhere else in country NSW

jargan83

Coach
Its looking bad for the Perth rectangle stadium IMO....

In what regard? Perth is getting a rectangular stadium, with work to commence next year after the Super 14. But unfortunately it is not one that fits in with FIFA requirements for a World Cup.

So as far as Perth goes in a World Cup bid, we are back to square one.

Perth Red

Post Whore
in all honesty I'm pleased! I don't want a 40,000 stadium with 20,000 RL fans (eventually) rattling round in it. A 27,000 redeveloped MEB stadium will be perfect for teh Reds back in the NRL.

ps the multi purpose stadium would be cr4p as well! Move the stands in and you have no roof covering you!

jargan83

Coach
I agree the Redevelopment of MES is perfect for the week to week needs of Rectangular codes here in Perth. The Westen Force have only had 3 or 4 crowds in their lifetime over the 27,000 mark and the redeveloped ground will be brilliant if we can get an NRL side back in Perth

I can tolerate the Multi-purpose for one off events such as Socceroos Internationals, Rugby Tests. The odds of a 40,000 - 50,000 rectangular stadium here in Perth just for the World Cup is remote at best. If your worried about no roof, take a jacket ;)

MPS is better then a re-build of Subiaco Oval thats for sure

BuffaloRules

Coach
In what regard? Perth is getting a rectangular stadium, with work to commence next year after the Super 14. But unfortunately it is not one that fits in with FIFA requirements for a World Cup.

So as far as Perth goes in a World Cup bid, we are back to square one.

Will it be 40,000 Capacity which is the minimum sized capacity for FIFA World Cup?

Edit - sorry I can see that you agree with my point.

jargan83

Coach
No, hence why I said we are back to square one in regards to World Cup bid

Edit- Your right mate :)

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
From Canberra Times
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/world-cup-stadium-scuttled/1628117.aspx

World Cup stadium scuttled
BY DAVID JEAN
20/09/2009 10:20:00 AM
A FAILED A-League bid will likely cost Canberra a hosting role in a future World Cup and scuttle plans for a grand upgrade of the Canberra Stadium precinct.
ACT sports minister Andrew Barr has conceded the Government won't be part of Australia's bid to host the World Cup finals in 2018 or 2022 unless Football Federation Australia grants Canberra an A-League licence.
With FFA rumoured to be close to awarding Western Sydney the competition's 12th franchise, Canberra's hopes of playing a part in a World Cup hosting bid now appear doomed.
Soccer's governing body FIFA has strict guidelines for stadiums hosting World Cup matches, including a requirement they fit a minimum of 43,000 fans. Canberra Stadium currently holds 25,000.
The Government detailed potential options in June for upgrading Canberra Stadium and Manuka Oval, with the grandest proposal involving twin stadiums in Bruce at a cost of $350million.
That project would have created a purpose-built rectangular stadium suitable for hosting World Cup matches standing next to a re-shaped Canberra Stadium.
While Mr Barr said the Government remained committed to upgrading the ACT's existing sporting facilities, delivering the most ambitious option would be contingent on either having an A-League team to make long-term use of the facilities, or a significant kick-in from the Federal Government.
Federal cabinet is expected to sign off on Commonwealth support for Australia's World Cup bid next month, but is unlikely to cover most of the costs associated with building a new stadium.
''If we're not going to have a team in the A-League and there isn't going to be a long-term legacy for football, then we'd have to question whether you'd spend the hundreds of millions of dollars that would go with being part of the World Cup bid,'' Mr Barr said. ''There are four different options for Canberra Stadium and three really involve upgrading the existing facilities, [but] all keeping the capacity between the 25,000 to 30,000 mark.
''That's all on the Government's agenda.
''But that's one thing, going to 43,000 is a whole other thing and for that you'd probably need to build a whole new stadium.
''The profile having the World Cup in Canberra would bring to the sport would be huge, but that only lasts for a few months if there's not a team here.
''We will support Canberra being involved with Australia for the 2015 Asia Cup, because the infrastructure we have would meet what's required for that.
''But the problem with the World Cup is that we'd obviously need a stadium that would accommodate 43,000.''
Instead of constructing a new stadium, it seems likely that the Government would proceed with more modest plans for Canberra Stadium and Manuka Oval.
The minimum cost to revamp the two grounds is estimated at $77million.
Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane are the only cities with rectangular stadiums that meet FIFA's requirements. Tasmania and the Northern Territory have already ruled out being part of the World Cup bids.

Not the best news for the Raiders or the world cup bid.

Dispite all the drama, I still think everyone involved is playing a big game of chicken to get what they want. The question is, will they all come together when it matters come mid December.

ACT wants another tenant if they build the stadium, so they are playing chicken with FFA. Perth wants an upgraded Oval, Melbourne want possibly a new AFL stadium, AFL want Carrara on the Gold Coast upgraded, the states want to see how much they can get from the fed gov, and the fed gov want the world cup.

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
It's another white elephant for Australia.
Look at what will happen to South African Rugby Union and Football after the world cup with bigger stadiums with more empty seats.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ACT govt should realise they already have two teams who would benefit form an upgraded stadium! Why would an Aleague team drawing 7,000 make a difference?

Too much self interest in this country (the joys of a state government system) for it to happen imo.

i actually agree with Barr on this.

the FFA have gone out of their way to make sure western sydney gets the licence, even though weve done everything they have asked. theyve delayed and delayed and delayed to the benifit of one bid over the other. why should we build a new stadium when the ffa wont give us a licence? its crap!

the raiders or brumbies dont need a new stadium as they dont fill the current one. however new seating at each end and more undercover areas at canberra stadium would be great.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
i actually agree with Barr on this.

the FFA have gone out of their way to make sure western sydney gets the licence, even though weve done everything they have asked. theyve delayed and delayed and delayed to the benifit of one bid over the other. why should we build a new stadium when the ffa wont give us a licence? its crap!

the raiders or brumbies dont need a new stadium as they dont fill the current one. however new seating at each end and more undercover areas at canberra stadium would be great.

Maybe that's why your not filling it?

Goddo

Bench
Yeah I used to live in Canberra, and that stadium gets bloody cold in July/August. If it were enclosed to keep out the wind it would be a huge improvement

BM-dog

Juniors
The Government detailed potential options in June for upgrading Canberra Stadium and Manuka Oval, with the grandest proposal involving twin stadiums in Bruce at a cost of $350million.
That project would have created a purpose-built rectangular stadium suitable for hosting World Cup matches standing next to a re-shaped Canberra Stadium.
Why would the ACT govt spend that sort of money so it could have two rectangular stadia? That's insanity. Their population is about 300k, there's no possible way they need two major sports venues of the same shape.

Goddo

Bench
They would build a 40000 seat enclosed stadium, and turn the current Bruce Stadium back into an oval.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh that was something else. 80,000 seats inside and 20,000 paying 30 bucks to stand outside! Looks an amazing stadium. I'll have to put it on my list of grounds to visit before I die! The Emirates stadium in London looks amazing and is what a full size Suncorp could have been!

Timbo

Staff member
I was just checking out the South African bid...

They had TWO stadiums which we would kill for in places like Perth and Adelaide (namely Newlands at Cape Town [rectangular, modern, 50,000 seats] and ABSA Stadium at Durban [same as Newlands]) which were both turned down for one reason or another.

We're no chance for either 2018 or 2022 with that in mind IMHO.

Goddo

Bench
Yeah it seems the WA and SA governments don't get it... I remember reading somewhere that it costs around $2 billion to run the thing but it generates something like 4-5 times that much for the host.

If the governements only spent $1-2 billion getting the stadiums we need they would make that back and then some, plus the jobs generated building the inferstructure, and leave australia a legacy of improved transport inferstructure and excellent stadiums for 3 domestic competitions and to host further big events (rugby league and union world cups, ACL soccer, et cetera).