What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

taipan

Referee
To be honest I don't know. All I do is that for about the last 5-10 years his articles for the Herald have predominantly been about rugby union.

Think he went over to union, when the Bears were flicked.I know of a few who did just that ,to the Waratahs.

MugaB

Coach
Sourcing???
Here's the text Y'all

V’LANDYS SET TO EXPLORE PRIVATE NRL JET

Peter V’landys will explore the long-term financial incentives in purchasing a private jet for NRL teams to use in-season and be leased to rival sporting codes in summer.

The Daily Telegraph reported the plane would eliminate the code’s annual multimillion-dollar spend on interstate accommodation, decrease the risk of commercially-damaging off-field scandals and aid the mental health and wellbeing of players.

“I’m going to crunch the numbers on it,” V’Landys said.

“I’ve always said, we won’t rule anything out, if it’s in the best interests of the code and it’s stakeholders.

“We could look at offsetting some of the cost by leasing it to A-League or Super Rugby teams, companies, or other interested parties.

“It’s definitely worth doing some analysis on it.”

James Hooper lauded V’landys for his vision on Fox League’s Saturday night coverage.

“It will save a ton of money because generally you fly somewhere and you get there the night before and stay a couple of nights in a hotel,” Hooper said.

“The costs get astronomical, so Peter V’landys a little bit of outside the box thinking.”

I've been saying this for ages, clubs should also try to make steps, to own their own grounds too, but not really going to happen with the bigger stadiums

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200614-230845_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200614-230845_Samsung Internet.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I decided to start a poll to gauge what posters on here think of PVL since he took over .
Many seem to think as I do that he is great...a driving force that has been needed for years.
Others can't say a good word about him .
So vote away .

Pommy

Coach
View attachment 39172

I've been saying this for ages, clubs should also try to make steps, to own their own grounds too, but not really going to happen with the bigger stadiums

I can’t imagine this jet idea has legs. The good thing about going with an airline is they have the infrastructure to get you there when a plane has issues.
If the NRL only own one plane and are planning on flying hours before you can guarantee at some point there’s going to be an issue where a team doesn’t make it to a game.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I can’t imagine this jet idea has legs. The good thing about going with an airline is they have the infrastructure to get you there when a plane has issues.
If the NRL only own one plane and are planning on flying hours before you can guarantee at some point there’s going to be an issue where a team doesn’t make it to a game.
Not to mention any cost savings on accommodation or commercial flights will need to be sunk into maintenance, staffing, fuel etc. Then consider than roughly half of all games are played within Sydney between Sydney teams, with another couple of teams normally using road transport (Newcastle, Canberra). Throw in the fact you'd need to fixture carefully so NQ, WAR, MEL, BRI, GLD or teams headed to those places aren't happening same day - seems unlikely it'd be worth the expense.

MugaB

Coach
The plane idea wont get off the ground.
Tehe....dad joke!!!

I actually see this working especially since they are basically trailing right now, just need to see the cost of flights/petrol/time.. etc Vs Hotel cost/Time of what they've been doing in the past.
I mean most American teams do this as its cost effective, plus from a expansion point of view means perth, adelaide and Nz2 can work being far away, means no one can complain about travel since the bulk of the clubs will be floan around back and forth same day.

Cactus

Juniors
Tehe....dad joke!!!

I actually see this working especially since they are basically trailing right now, just need to see the cost of flights/petrol/time.. etc Vs Hotel cost/Time of what they've been doing in the past.
I mean most American teams do this as its cost effective, plus from a expansion point of view means perth, adelaide and Nz2 can work being far away, means no one can complain about travel since the bulk of the clubs will be floan around back and forth same day.

I just dont think the numbers will stack up compared to the commercial option. Mind you I have no direct knowledge in this area.

But if anyone can chase it and make it happen it is PVL and I applaud him for exploring the concept.

MugaB

Coach
I just dont think the numbers will stack up compared to the commercial option. Mind you I have no direct knowledge in this area.

But if anyone can chase it and make it happen it is PVL and I applaud him for exploring the concept.
Numbers in the long run, lets say the whole team of parramatta and staff need to be flown to Townsville, commercial flight might not leave after game time is over at 10pm, then add overnight hotel stay for 40 people, food for before game after game, breakfast prior to morning flight home...
Now what he is proposing is no bullshit, get off plane, training, rest, whatever b4 game, game ends, get on plane go home.... pretty simple, but needs to be worked out on the actual cost of purchase of the jet, and what else is needed regarding ownership of a private plane.... but its worth looking into

BadnMean

Juniors
I for am disappointed Peter is thinking small on this one. Why isn't he making a play for Virgin.

Imagine an NRL airline!? The scenes! It flies to the footy & to Bali, nice & simple.

Latest posts