What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of people in South East Queensland do not like the Broncos, I think another team in the area would do well and become the second team for those in SE Qld who already follow another team.

Gold Coast has a large transient population but I find people from Brisvegas very league orientated and with the Broncos bottoming out atm, now would be a good time imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
RL's problems are rooted down to professionalism driving the average sized man out of the game. .

Nope, RL's problem is there are no clear responsibilities and structures for whose doing what to grow engagement in the game. Its a mess with NRL doing some stuff through DO's and the newJnr program, and now owning the state bodies outside the NSWRL and QRL, the NSWRL/CRL and QRL doing god knows what but getting $10's of millions a year to do it, Touch footy having little connection still to full contact pathways, and then clubs feeling Jnrs belong to them and LC's "owning" areas. Its a real uncoordinated mess with little overall strategy driving funding, resources and work plans. Typical RL really, lots of fiefdoms with little productivity.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Don't think the AFL doesn't have the same kind of issue at the top, though. These days, the AFL recruits guys with athletic gifts at the expense of fundamentals, such as kicking straight. They have also tried to turn a lot of basketball players into ruckmen or centre half forwards and backs because of their height and athleticism that few others have.

AFL scouts want centre half forwards that are basically marathon runners who can cover the ground all day long. The problem is, you get excellent players at doing this and cover more than 10-15kms a game (like Travis Cloke), but who cannot kick straight to save their life or their teams fortunes.

The fundamental skills that used to be so necessary in the AFL (including kicking and marking) have increasingly gotten worse as the AFL has opted for athleticism, size and fitness. Sure they will market the freakish goals and talk up a player who kicks a big bag, but that used to be the status quo, but is now, hyped up because it is so rare. Sure they hype up the Indigenous player who can turn on the game with their speed, quickness and goal kicking from crazy angles, but I would think these players are less sought after in the game than previously.

Also, I think the last player to kick 100 goals in a year was Lance Franklin in about 2008. I think he kicked as many behinds as he did goals. He and the rest of the competition haven't gotten to that since.
Yep AFL has lost a lot with flooding, zoning and the death of the full forward.

Blokes like Ablett Sr, Dunstall, Matthew, Lockett wouldn't get a game today.

Mr Spock!

Referee
RL's problems are rooted down to professionalism driving the average sized man out of the game. When RL players were semi professional they didn't lift weights during the season so they looked like normal men. This made it easier to attract rhe average Joe on the street to play park football. Players these days are built like pro wrestlers and are just as strong. Now people who are undersized or not gym junkies are at a significant disadvantage
and apprehensive about playing the game. The introduction of the 10 metre rule in 1991 forced players to be fitter and made contact injuries more brutal, which is not good for participation.

The result is players these days are gym junkie/athletes who may or may not be footballers, and the onfield product reflects it. Players only know what they learn from their coaches because few of them think like footballers. Genuinely crafty footballers like Wally Lewis and Jason Smith just don't exist these days. These two played what was in front of them and adapted. These days it is a bunch of block plays and the odd run around and hope it works, and if that fails put up a bomb to the corner.

I've always said a guy like Phil Blake wouldn't get a game today. Doesn't play structured risk free football.

Mr Spock!

Referee
A lot of people in South East Queensland do not like the Broncos, I think another team in the area would do well and become the second team for those in SE Qld who already follow another team.

Gold Coast has a large transient population but I find people from Brisvegas very league orientated and with the Broncos bottoming out atm, now would be a good time imo.

Good luck when News Corp is a 69% shareholder of the Broncos.

Good luck when News Corp is a 69% shareholder of the Broncos.
If the team is on the southside it will have a chance. The media will still be firmly behind the Donkeys, especially Foxtel and Courier Mail, but Ch9 would have an incentive to back the new club and promote it to the hilltops. Brissie 3 coming in 10 years after Brissie 2 has established itself is vital in breaking down the Donkeys' stronghold even more and letting News Ltd know that the people run the game, not Murdoch.

Don't think the AFL doesn't have the same kind of issue at the top, though. These days, the AFL recruits guys with athletic gifts at the expense of fundamentals, such as kicking straight. They have also tried to turn a lot of basketball players into ruckmen or centre half forwards and backs because of their height and athleticism that few others have.

AFL scouts want centre half forwards that are basically marathon runners who can cover the ground all day long. The problem is, you get excellent players at doing this and cover more than 10-15kms a game (like Travis Cloke), but who cannot kick straight to save their life or their teams fortunes.

The fundamental skills that used to be so necessary in the AFL (including kicking and marking) have increasingly gotten worse as the AFL has opted for athleticism, size and fitness. Sure they will market the freakish goals and talk up a player who kicks a big bag, but that used to be the status quo, but is now, hyped up because it is so rare. Sure they hype up the Indigenous player who can turn on the game with their speed, quickness and goal kicking from crazy angles, but I would think these players are less sought after in the game than previously.

Also, I think the last player to kick 100 goals in a year was Lance Franklin in about 2008. I think he kicked as many behinds as he did goals. He and the rest of the competition haven't gotten to that since.
I think the die-hard fans will end up gravitating to park football if things keep going down this road.

T-Boon

Coach
RL's problems are rooted down to professionalism driving the average sized man out of the game. When RL players were semi professional they didn't lift weights during the season so they looked like normal men. This made it easier to attract rhe average Joe on the street to play park football. Players these days are built like pro wrestlers and are just as strong. Now people who are undersized or not gym junkies are at a significant disadvantage
and apprehensive about playing the game. The introduction of the 10 metre rule in 1991 forced players to be fitter and made contact injuries more brutal, which is not good for participation.

The result is players these days are gym junkie/athletes who may or may not be footballers, and the onfield product reflects it. Players only know what they learn from their coaches because few of them think like footballers. Genuinely crafty footballers like Wally Lewis and Jason Smith just don't exist these days. These two played what was in front of them and adapted. These days it is a bunch of block plays and the odd run around and hope it works, and if that fails put up a bomb to the corner.

Yep. 100%.
Professionalism makes them too big thus unrelatable and add to that it also makes the game a bit more boring because they spend 80% of their time working on defense. That's a travesty. Game would be better off paying the players full time wages but only letting them train as if its part time.

Yep. 100%.
Professionalism makes them too big thus unrelatable and add to that it also makes the game a bit more boring because they spend 80% of their time working on defense. That's a travesty. Game would be better off paying the players full time wages but only letting them train as if its part time.
When they put all that muscle on them it slows them down and leads to fatigue swtting in quicker, too. Back when there was no interchange, players needed to be built so they could last the full 80.

An amateur player would struggle to juggle football training 2 nights a week, 4 gym sessions a week and 50 or 60 hours at work while paying of a mortgage. Inflation has made everyday items and property prices far more expensive today than they were in 1983.

Latest posts