What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jamberoo

Juniors
The AFL has realised that QLD is an easier market than NSW and will be going hard in the next five to ten years. Forget Western Sydney, SEQ is where the battle will be fought.

Eddie Maguire has been spruiking how the deal to play the season and finals in Queensland involves ‘significant infrastructure’ for the AFL. He mentioned women’s AFL and the 2032 Olympic bid. I assume that means a shiny new 60k oval stadium if Brisbane gets the games.

AFL has a very solid and sizeable hardcore supporter base in Brisbane, as evidenced by solid crowds and strong ratings. PVL should be concerned that 22k went to a final between two Vic clubs (Collingwood v Geelong) - yes, Storm drew similar crowds but at half the ticket price. That the AFL can generate more than double the revenue from playing their GF in Brisbane than the yet to sell out NRL GF in RL heartland is a massive worry and shows the financial gap between the two codes.

Yet how many people in Brisbane actually prefer AFL? 10%? 15%? 20%? Let’s call it 15%. What it shows is that 15% is enough if they are passionate and you know how to engage them.

So, if PVL is serious about keeping the AFL at bay, two new Brisbane clubs seems pretty obvious once you think about it. Simply the best idea I have heard. Redcliff in 2022 then one on the other side of the city in 2023. This would surely relegate the Lions to fourth place behind the three NRL clubs. You get at least one game at Suncorp each week, Six Brisbane ‘derbies’ and 20 Qld v Qld games once you include Titans and Cowboys. The NRL need to be brave. Otherwise, the AFL’s 15% become 20%, then 25%, and the financial gap between them and AFL will continue to grow.

Three clubs in Brisbane would be absolutely brilliant - has it been mentioned in the QLD media or just here on LU?

The AFL has realised that QLD is an easier market than NSW and will be going hard in the next five to ten years. Forget Western Sydney, SEQ is where the battle will be fought.

Eddie Maguire has been spruiking how the deal to play the season and finals in Queensland involves ‘significant infrastructure’ for the AFL. He mentioned women’s AFL and the 2032 Olympic bid. I assume that means a shiny new 60k oval stadium if Brisbane gets the games.

AFL has a very solid and sizeable hardcore supporter base in Brisbane, as evidenced by solid crowds and strong ratings. PVL should be concerned that 22k went to a final between two Vic clubs (Collingwood v Geelong) - yes, Storm drew similar crowds but at half the ticket price. That the AFL can generate more than double the revenue from playing their GF in Brisbane than the yet to sell out NRL GF in RL heartland is a massive worry and shows the financial gap between the two codes.

Yet how many people in Brisbane actually prefer AFL? 10%? 15%? 20%? Let’s call it 15%. What it shows is that 15% is enough if they are passionate and you know how to engage them.

So, if PVL is serious about keeping the AFL at bay, two new Brisbane clubs seems pretty obvious once you think about it. Simply the best idea I have heard. Redcliff in 2022 then one on the other side of the city in 2023. This would surely relegate the Lions to fourth place behind the three NRL clubs. You get at least one game at Suncorp each week, Six Brisbane ‘derbies’ and 20 Qld v Qld games once you include Titans and Cowboys. The NRL need to be brave. Otherwise, the AFL’s 15% become 20%, then 25%, and the financial gap between them and AFL will continue to grow.

Three clubs in Brisbane would be absolutely brilliant - has it been mentioned in the QLD media or just here on LU?
I have been advocating, in the expansion forum, for Brisbane to have three or four clubs since May. Every time I do, a small group of ideologues swarm in to shout that Brisbane must be limited to just two teams so that fumbleball wastelands, such as like Adelaide and Perth, can have teams that no one wants and, will never turn a profit.

One of them even reckons Perth should have two teams, FFS!

The game's biggest mistake over the last two decades is under serving the large and passionate Brisbane RL fanbase. News Ltd never wanted a second team as it will eat into the profits of Murdoch's Donkeys. If they had their way the Titans wouldn't exist.

Dolphins and Jets would be a great addition to the NRL and a huge roadblock in fumbleball's expansion plans.

PVL would be wise to allow Wests to use their actual brand, the Magpies, so that Easts Tigers can enter as the Brisbane Tigers. Balmain fans can support the Brisbane Tigers if they prefer that brand over Magpies. Wests fans get their team back and the Macarthur region has a full time team to combat A-League and AwFuL.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

It is just never spoken about because it is not the media narrative, but all this support the AFL gets in Qld comes at the expense of Union, not Rugby League.

There is some very solid statistical evidence that Ozzie Rules is increasingly a game of the private school system. In Victoria certainly, and thus this is translating into it's expansion areas.

super_coach

First Grade
Peter V is all about the bottom line and will do anything that will improve the bottom line, and I guess if the game goes broke there will be no game.

In saying that, I doubt he has any interest in fixing all the problems in the game like salary cap rorting, level playing field for all teams and referees. It will be interesting where the game is in five years. I think there are a few teams that will be on his hit list so he can get expansion going without increasing numbers

mongoose

Coach

Storm drew similar? The Storm v Raiders game had 37,000, that's almost double 22,000.

mongoose

Coach
The other thing about Aussie Rules in QLD is that it's popularity is only at the very top level, the AFL. It is nowhere near as ingrained as League is which is very popular across all levels. The intrust super cup is televised on FTA. Most people in QLD wouldn't even know what the tier below AFL is in QLD, they wouldn't know the NEAFL even exists. League personalities dominate the media up here, they know Jason Akermanis or Michael Voss are not Queenslanders... So the AFL has a mountain of work to do if they want to be on equal footing as League.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Good geographical spread. I would like to see Logan get one some day.

Would be perfect, Logan is RL through-and-through. They can buy out that eye-sore Lions club at Springwood and make it their leagues club.

Out of interest, where do you think there is land where you could build a 25k stadium at Logan? In and around the Springwood ''CBD'' hub would be good but I'm not sure where there is land.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Are extra Brisbane NRL clubs going to make any difference to the 15% you've suggested follow AFL? I doubt it. if they were inclined to RL they would be selling out Suncorp every week. Why would more and more switch to AFL? Ive heard it said so many times and yet the reality is it hasn't happened. AFL has a footprint, a small one, in NSW and Qlnd. Its big enough for them to leverage revenue off the back of it and imply being the national footy code but in reality it hasnt converted any RL fans, nor has it reduced the following of RL in those cities. Brisbane needs another NRL team no doubt about it, not because it makes any dent in AFL, which it wont, but because it will help RL grow in the city, hopefully.

Suitman

Post Whore
I have been advocating, in the expansion forum, for Brisbane to have three or four clubs since May. Every time I do, a small group of ideologues swarm in to shout that Brisbane must be limited to just two teams so that fumbleball wastelands, such as like Adelaide and Perth, can have teams that no one wants and, will never turn a profit.

One of them even reckons Perth should have two teams, FFS!

The game's biggest mistake over the last two decades is under serving the large and passionate Brisbane RL fanbase. News Ltd never wanted a second team as it will eat into the profits of Murdoch's Donkeys. If they had their way the Titans wouldn't exist.

Dolphins and Jets would be a great addition to the NRL and a huge roadblock in fumbleball's expansion plans.

PVL would be wise to allow Wests to use their actual brand, the Magpies, so that Easts Tigers can enter as the Brisbane Tigers. Balmain fans can support the Brisbane Tigers if they prefer that brand over Magpies. Wests fans get their team back and the Macarthur region has a full time team to combat A-League and AwFuL.

The only issue I have with this post is the last sentence. We don't need to combat the A-League. Plenty of fans in NSW follow both sports.
It's the AFL only that is the true enemy.
Everything else, I agree with,

Would be perfect, Logan is RL through-and-through. They can buy out that eye-sore Lions club at Springwood and make it their leagues club.

Out of interest, where do you think there is land where you could build a 25k stadium at Logan? In and around the Springwood ''CBD'' hub would be good but I'm not sure where there is land.

Cronulla Park is the only place I can think of. I contated the prick who is now mayor about it 7 years ago and spoke to his secretary. She she he would phone me back, but never did.

I don't know if Lowe Oval had enough spare land for a stadium. The only thigh we can do is instruct everyone in Logan to never vote for Darren Power or Mick de Brenni.

I put de Brenni last on my postal vote.

The only issue I have with this post is the last sentence. We don't need to combat the A-League. Plenty of fans in NSW follow both sports.
It's the AFL only that is the true enemy.
Everything else, I agree with,
I will reword it to say that a full time NRL club in Macarthur, alongside the A-League club that's planned for the area l, would increase the likelihood of the NSW Gov building a boutique stadium there.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Cronulla Park is the only place I can think of.

Relocate the Sharks to Brisbane. Logan Sharks, playing out of Cronulla Park - a nice nod to their history - lol (yes, I'm joking Sharks fans, don't take it seriously)

The only thigh we can do is instruct everyone in Logan to never vote for Darren Power or Mick de Brenni.
I put de Brenni last on my postal vote.

Good man!

Relocate the Sharks to Brisbane. Logan Sharks, playing out of Cronulla Park - a nice nod to their history - lol (yes, I'm joking Sharks fans, don't take it seriously)
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of bull sharks in the Logan River. There's even a golf course in Logan that has a bull shark in one of its ponds. It got stuck there after flood waters took it there then subsided.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

Victoria's biggest export is Victorians, they cant wait to get out of the place

most of the support up here is from Victoria's ex pats, there are heaps of them up here