What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question to residents of Cronulla, Woolooware and Nth Caringbah,

The Attorney

Juniors
[/Ram Dass, post: 7906788"]I live there and traffic is a nightmare around there..

This is complete BS,
A ruse that is repeated by NIMBYS wth no clue

I live locally as well and drive through the area every day but continue
straight ahead through the round about at Gannons
There is no traffic for people continuing along captain Cook
Which is where people who live in the development will drive

The only traffic in the area is caused by people turning onto Gannons road trying to get to the Kingsway

People park in our front lawns on game day etc.

The board better start canvassing that area cause there is hostility
This has been answered by the club/ developers ad infinitum
Parking will be provided in other areas of the shire for people to catch busses from
there has allways been hostility from the locals, why buy a place next to a footy stadum knowing its there then complain about it?

spider

Coach
I live there and traffic is a nightmare around there...

This is complete BS,

The only traffic in the area is caused by people turning onto Gannons road trying to get to the Kingsway
obvioulsy the comment was directed at late afternoon, early evening when most people are travelling home

the traffic is poor and it does back up to the round-a-bout

trying to avoid it by going around caringbah is just as bad

so to say his comment is BS is off the mark - i know through many years experience travelling it

The Attorney

Juniors
obvioulsy the comment was directed at late afternoon, early evening when most people are travelling home

so to say his comment is BS is off the mark - i know through many years experience travelling it

The traffic may be poor but it has nothing to do with what’s up ahead on captain cook

I drive through that round about every afternoon between 5.30 and 6.30 dont stop for more than a minute
This is after crawling through Taren point

Megalodon

Juniors
The cause of the traffic problems on Gannons Road are clear and evident.

It is the bottleneck caused by the railway underpass and the intersection of Gannons and Denman Ave.

In 2006, Sutherland Shire Council recommended the widening of that underpass as a part of the Cronulla line duplication. When constructing the second railway bridge to the north of the existent railway bridge they constructed it with adequate width to accommodate two lanes, plus turning lane and two standard footpaths.

Unfortunately, they chose not to reconstruct the southern railway bridge at the same time.

Captain Cook Drive & The Kingsway are both state roads. Gannons Road, the link road between the two is a SSC road.

This is where the problem arises - neither SSC, State Roads or State Rail want to foot the bill for the road widening. It's a classic demarcation dispute.

Meanwhile, the people of the area and visitors continue to be inconvenienced in an on-going way and there is no sight of a resolution.

Added to this problem, there is also on going issues with people parking their boats out on the road on Gannons Rd. If you can't house your boat within your own property you should not be allowed to have one. This is a real problem across the SSC area and I know one that will soon be targeted by them.

The only thing that will change the situation with traffic in that area is the political will of Speakman, the Minister for Transport and SSC to consider it a priority to resolve the problem.

This is the bit that irks me most about Speakman and his stance on the Sharks Development. He seems to want to involve himself in placating a small vocal minority within 1km radius of the proposed development at the expense of concentrating his political energies on actually improving infrastructure for the whole of his electorate and the entire Sutherland Shire.

The economy of the Cronulla area is built on 'external' money coming into the area. The Sharks are part of that drawcard that brings that money in.

This means so much more to economic boost in the Shire than most people understand.

Unfortunately, there are forces at play in local politics that will see the Shire become a huge retirement village entrenched in ways of doing things of the 1950s.

I guess organising Wine, Cheese and Jazz Festivals by the sea is a far greater priority for our local representatives than actually having a vibrant, healthy economy and jobs.

spider

Coach
The cause of the traffic problems on Gannons Road are clear and evident.

It is the bottleneck caused by the railway underpass and the intersection of Gannons and Denman Ave.
absolutely, its disgraceful but if neither state govt or SSC want to address it then it wont help our development cause

Eion

First Grade

I'm a peak hour driver and have been for years too. I live at port hacking and get home by going down Cpt Cook Drive and up Gannons, or going through Caringbah. I mix it up but mostly go through Caringbah not because of Cpt Cook Drive itself but for Gannons Rd. Gannons quite often banks up from the Kingsway down to Cpt Cook Drive - it's the worst bottleneck for mine.

spider

Coach
I'm a peak hour driver and have been for years too. I live at port hacking and get home by going down Cpt Cook Drive and up Gannons, or going through Caringbah. I mix it up but mostly go through Caringbah not because of Cpt Cook Drive itself but for Gannons Rd. Gannons quite often banks up from the Kingsway down to Cpt Cook Drive - it's the worst bottleneck for mine.

another way which alleviates some pain is turn left at captain cook then take first right - runs you up past the school into the middle of caringbah

you miss the first part of the crawl through caringbah

R2Coupe

Juniors
The survey was distributed in North Caringbah.

As much as residents are dismissed as NIMBYs, those living outside of North Caringbah, North Woolooware and North Cronulla are really blow ins.

Your cause is not helped when remote day parking announcements are subsequently found not to have been approved by Council.

The new bus route may not be as certain as has been advised. Is it true the STA cannot provide a service due to budget constraints? Also is it true the nearest service will not be diverted due to impact on existing customers?

The traffic issue I guess will not be resolved until the independent review is undertaken.

The Attorney

Juniors
The survey was distributed in North Caringbah.

As much as residents are dismissed as NIMBYs, those living outside of North Caringbah, North Woolooware and North Cronulla are really blow ins.

Complete rubbish, this development is for the entire area encompassing all of what is commonly referred to as Cronulla
There has so far been no evidence of negative impact to local residents
Please give facts if you have any, saying "traffic" "to big" and "to high"
don’t cut it

Your cause is not helped when remote day parking announcements are subsequently found not to have been approved by Council.

They won’t have a choice once the development is built.

The new bus route may not be as certain as has been advised. Is it true the STA cannot provide a service due to budget constraints? Also is it true the nearest service will not be diverted due to impact on existing customers?

More lies
the new bus service will be a completely new route, the STA has already signed an agreement that it will go ahead once the development is approved

Last edited:

jc155776

Coach
Council don't have te power to not approve something before it is even applied for. On fact them
Coming out publicly saying they won't approve the parking helps us as a court will overturn their decision due to them not giving the proposal administrative fairness. They are just trying to sand bag. Once te dev is approved they will have no choice anyway. What kind of council won't let a state owned school make money from parking on their land?

Scurry off back to your hole coupe.

spider

Coach
Yes it MAY be poor on Gannons road but it isn’t on Captain Cook Drive

when’s the last time you travelled regularly along that route?
you're back peddling, you snipped his comment where he was referring to caringbah - not captain cook drive

Ram Dass said:
Most people in north caringbah do not want it
very next post
Ram Dass said:
I live there and traffic is a nightmare around there.
Add 1000 more cars and we are struggling as you know it's one road in one road out sort of stuff.

people park in our front lawns on game day etc.

It's a real inconvenience.

The board better start canvassing that area cause there is hostility
your response
The Attorney said:
This is complete BS,

then you backflip (like a nimby, i think you said) and state the traffic can hold you at the round-a-bout for no longer than a minute, due to TRAFFIC turning right - the direction Ram Dass referred to

The Attorney said:
The traffic may be poor but it has nothing to do with what’s up ahead on captain cook

I drive through that round about every afternoon between 5.30 and 6.30 dont stop for more than a minute
This is after crawling through Taren point
a minute at any round-a-bout is a dam long time for mine

i travel that route (right into gannons) most days - its a mess from 5.30pm onward, it will be worse with residential and retail adding to the captain cook stretch no doubt, but its a sacrifice im willing to encounter for the betterment of the sharks

carcharias

Immortal
bring it on suckers

traffic-jam.jpg

Latest posts