What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question to residents of Cronulla, Woolooware and Nth Caringbah,

spider

Coach
As mentioned over the past few years (and with cheap airfares) I have made a lot more trips back to the Shire. It became apparent that this progress has a lot to do with City accommodation and housing needs.
i have to ask brother quigs, who have you had the cheap fares with?

Eion

First Grade
I wonder if all these old whiners campaigned every time
some old dude's house was turned into ugly townhouses?
By his own f**king kids once he had carked it?
Of course they do. It's taken me 18 months to get a f**king deck through council. Never got approved because the body corporate next door whinged it would impact their privacy. Nevermind that they built villas within 1m of the boundary. Nevermind that I can see into their f**king villas from any window of my house and standing the backyard anyway (and vice versa). Nevermind COUNCIL suggested screening which I agreed to, to get it over the line - then they rejected it anyway. I'm ranting.....sorry.

Anyway, worked out I just needed to drop the deck 20cms and I didn't need f**king council approval.

All I got out of the exercise was hatred for the council and old mate next door and deep gratitude the sharks development is out of council hands.

Quigs

Immortal
i have to ask brother quigs, who have you had the cheap fares with?

Only ride the Virgin Spide not munch choice for me out of Rocky. Used to have Jetstar and Tige, but they stopped.

And the Virgin is the only one that offered direct Rok to Syd

Pig Champion

Juniors
I drive home from kurnell (not hitch, see previous post) and often turn up Gannons Rd to turn right at the Kingsway. I know the traffic can back up but I wouldn't call it bad. When have you heard the radio traffic report say " traffic backed up on Gannons Rd , drivers should be prepared for an extra minutes journey home", because it doesn't get much worse than that.

My wife drives home from Kogarah and the traffic is often way slower.

As for captain cook drive it's the increased heavy vehicle traffic that will be a major problem. Time for a dual carriageway at least all the way to sir joseph banks drive.

carcharias

Immortal
How is the size of some the complex's out Kurnell now?
You could park a 747 in dicker data's new storage centre.
That used to be the edge of the dunes.

Quigs

Immortal
Sorry to sidetrack the thread.

When I was a pup the only decent sized thing out at Kurnell was the Oil Refinery and the bloody big sandhills, there were some rippers back then.

When we were snotty nosed pups way back in the mid 60's our dads would drive us out to Kurnell to have fun in the Kurnell sandhills.

We'd wax the bottom of squares of masonite, put a bit of rope through the front, pull back so the front was up and then slide down the big dunes. It was the Sutho toboggin'

Geeze we'd go home absolutely stuffed, running up those hills just to slide back down.

Great memories. Farkkkk nearly 50 years ago.

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee

When I was a pup the only decent sized thing out at Kurnell was the Oil Refinery and the bloody big sandhills, there were some rippers back then.

When we were snotty nosed pups way back in the mid 60's our dads would drive us out to Kurnell to have fun in the Kurnell sandhills.

We'd wax the bottom of squares of masonite, put a bit of rope through the front, pull back so the front was up and then slide down the big dunes. It was the Sutho toboggin'

Geeze we'd go home absolutely stuffed, running up those hills just to slide back down.

We did that too Quigs.. Good times, but about 30 years ago near Cronulla Haigh School

Pig Champion

Juniors

When I was a pup the only decent sized thing out at Kurnell was the Oil Refinery.

We'd spend all day out the back of the sandhills, catching jackys and snakes, jumping off the sandhills, jumping off the timber ramp into a water hole that coke used in a TV ad. Sand was coming out of every orifice for days(all innocent OK).

We'd spend all day out the back of the sandhills, catching jackys and snakes, rolling down sandhills, jumping off the timber ramp into a water hole that coke had built for a TV ad. Had sand coming out of every orifice for days (all innocent OK).

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
There was some monster dunes back "in my day". Not the ones near where the High School was. The ones I remember where 2/3rds of the way along Kurnell Rd.

I would assume that 'they' ripped the guts out of them zonks ago.

Mate I am going back before trail bikes were even popular. They were just hitting the scene if my memories serves me correctly.

Feej

First Grade

Ahhh, memories..... We used to do exactly the same thing, including my old man and his mate picking up the odd "free" bag(s) of sand for the concreting they were doing.

Jeez, I even remember going out there to check out the filming of one of the Mad Max movies. :)

Pig Champion

Juniors
I recall dunes as high as the high voltage towers. On the odd occasion sand drifts would prevent the school bus taking us to school, happy days.

Quigs

Immortal
We have to stop hijacking this thread... start another Kurnell memories thread.

Sorry Newie. I've just gone outside and given myself an uppercut.

Eion

First Grade
There's still fun to be had out there. I've taken my girls out to the 'dune' a couple of times. A couple of body boards, drag them down the dune and slog it back up. Big enough for shits and giggles.

Megalodon

Juniors
You want to know what is wrong with SSC and why the local economy is stagnating?

It's the stranglehold of this mob: http://www.shirewatch.org.au/original.html

The thing about the anti-development agenda that these 'independents' and their allies collude to push is that it flows on to kill the building trades in the area.

I have a lot of mates who are tradesmen in the building industry who base their business in the Shire and so many of them are having to seek work outside of the area because work opportunity is drying up. I've got one mate, a builder, who travels from Grays Point to the Hills District every day because there is more work up there than in the Shire.

The thing about the building industry is that it is the fuel for so many other businesses and employs and trains huge numbers of people. The SSC is just becoming a bigger joke than ever - the way they obstruct any form of progress or development is obscene and the hoops that they make builders go through are just downright appalling.

When you think about the range of suppliers that are required to build, sell and furnish a single dwelling you'll get an idea of how important it is to have a healthy construction industry alive and well in the community.

I reckon that mob should call themselves Shire Deathwatch because that is what they're doing to the place.

Roll on next September when we can hopefully get some Councillors who can give the local economy a kick-start.