What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quotes Concerning Dragons & NRL Right Game Right Venue Announcement

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
The demise of the small ground; as bottle said, the writing was on the wall. I guess look at all the small grounds that have fallen to the goliaths; Redfern Oval, Belmore, Leichardt... How good was old Lang Park for those that went, to make way for a goliath. All the hills that are gone in crickey. The SCG and the Gabba. I think Adelaide and Hobart are the only old school cricket grounds left. It's the way of our progressive world and yeah, it stinks. Why fix something that is not broken hey? There has to be some solid pressure on the Dragons football club to be allowing this to take place. Political, financial and the new look NRL have us on the ropes. What other explanation is there?

Ace-STi

Juniors
As was announced yesterday the St George Illawarra Dragons have implemented a strategic initiative with the NRL that will stamp key Dragons games as some of the biggest events on the NRL calendar.

In the same way the Dragons helped transform the annual ANZAC Day match, the Club is working with the NRL to build annual marquee events under a “Right Game, Right Venue” strategy, creating an exciting atmosphere for Members and strengthening the Club for the future.

The initiative will see the Dragons play four of their twelve home games annually at Sydney’s major stadiums over the next four years, creating marquee events against selected Sydney teams who have already committed to these venues - South Sydney, Canterbury Bankstown, Sydney Roosters, Wests Tigers and Parramatta Eels. The Dragons will retain eight home games per season at the traditional venues of WIN Jubilee Oval and WIN Stadium.

This decision will create a platform for Membership and Fan Engagement growth, providing reciprocal entitlements for Members, new market opportunities and increased venue capacities, in turn reducing the pressures on existing Membership cost models.

Under the new venue model Red V Members will have more choice than ever before, with a large range of flexible ticketing packages available to choose from, across the Dragons 12 home games. Members will also have access to lock in reciprocal ticketing entitlements at three (3) selected away games, against major Sydney teams.

The Dragons are working with all venues to enable the 2014 Red V Membership program to launch in approximately two weeks. All Red V Members will receive information outlining the 2014 program once confirmed.

In the meantime we wanted to take this opportunity to answer a few key questions for you below. Detailed information on all membership entitlements and benefits will be available once the program launches in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• st.jpg
    st.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 16

Mr Red

First Grade
in order for the NRL to move to this new "Stadium venues only" model you would have to assume there is a need for more stadium venues..

Allianz, Homebush and the odd game at the SCG simply wont cut it.. combined with the use for both Union and AFL i suspect the wear and tear on the grounds will be too much...

i would be all for us relocating if they purpose built a 35000 seat stadium somewhere between Kogarah and the gong, and use that for all home fixtures.
SHarks could also play there on alternate weekends not only moving another NRL team into the "stadium only" model, but also provide a game of footy to go and watch each weekend in the region.

jenninga

First Grade
How is a house devided Stronger? How can they really believe that we march together by creating a civil war? Unless they address the problems that 20 years of shameful neglect and almost no planning imo has caused with the Leagues club how can we trust this board to steer us in any meaningful direction? How did they think that poker machines alone in a time when history and public opinion runs against problem gambling would serve us ? Our last great works , a smoking room. Has no one informed them that public opinion is also against smoking? Why has the auditorium been left to rot for 15 years? Our new wonder plan has our fans call each other names and a percentage boycott the games . Genius

Compared to Canterbury ,Parra Leagues etc our Leagues club is a disgrace.
Well said FT,and now we are forced to resort to cash grabs to keep up.I don't mind a 'marquee' game v Souffs ,but surely the SFS is better,promote it as such ,but not the f#*king SCG.
30,000 at the SFS is much better than 30,000 at the SCG.

TruSaint

Referee

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
hmm.. haven't come across this situation as of yet.. tell me more..

_Johnsy

Referee
Johnsy Then you would know that coming from the Gong you have to go all the way into town then double back another 20 minutes then change and then change again at flemington? It's quicker to fly down from the tweed. And if you are from the shire and miss the last train it's 90 bux in a cab.

Going to the gong is not a consideration relating for my conversation with trusaint.

I was talking about those whining (as per usual) about a couple of Kogarah home games to other grounds in Sydney.

I am sure others understand exactly where I am coming from. For one I am sick & tired of the Kogarah & only Kogarah band always whining. I understand & respect their right to an opinion. What I can't do is empathize with them if they have to travel on free public transport for an hour to anz/telstra, sfs etc

TruSaint

Referee
Going to the gong is not a consideration relating for my conversation with trusaint.

I was talking about those whining (as per usual) about a couple of Kogarah home games to other grounds in Sydney.

I am sure others understand exactly where I am coming from. For one I am sick & tired of the Kogarah & only Kogarah band always whining. I understand & respect their right to an opinion. What I can't do is empathize with them if they have to travel on free public transport for an hour to anz/telstra, sfs etc

Johnsy, I simply posted an article today regarding the region.
The fact that its for 4 years that the region will only get 16 games is appauling.
The fact is Sydney siders will have easier access to get to the said venues.
Simply put, and putting history aside, this is sour deal for the Wollongong fans.
Period.

_Johnsy

Referee
Johnsy, I simply posted an article today regarding the region.
The fact that its for 4 years that the region will only get 16 games is appauling.
The fact is Sydney siders will have easier access to get to the said venues.
Simply put, and putting history aside, this is sour deal for the Wollongong fans.
Period.

2 games per year for gong fans. I understand the reaction to them losing 2 games per year. Some of the reactions are way over the top.

Never having been on a train from the gong to carlton. What's the time difference between Gong-Carlton & Gong-SCG & Gong-Telstra ???

TruSaint

Referee
2 games per year for gong fans. I understand the reaction to them losing 2 games per year. Some of the reactions are way over the top.

Never having been on a train from the gong to carlton. What's the time difference between Gong-Carlton & Gong-SCG & Gong-Telstra ???

Fair point.
Having not used the train for some years, Im not sure, but your point is clearly heard.
People will react as they will, based on their devotion to the team.

I just think 4 years was a mistake, as opposed to testing the waters for a year, seeing the response / revenue etc, and then reviewing.

2014 will be interesting on many fronts.

Fingerbang

Bench
Gong to Carlton - around 1 hr to Sutherland or 1 hr 15 mins to Hurstville, and change for an all stations to Carlton....maybe 20 - 30 mins from Sutho or just a few mins from Hurstville. Then hoof it for 25 or 30 mins.

Gong to SCG / SFS - 1 hr 30 or 40 mins Gong to Central, then either bus or hoof it.

Gong to ANZ - same to Central, maybe 20 to 30 mins train to what Lidcombe? or Flemington?, then 10 15 mins train to Stadium.

Fingerbang

Bench
How would 4 years be a mistake if it is the way the NRL wants to move forward, and abandon all suburban grounds? If upgrades are required further down the track for Kogarah to meet the criteria, who is going to fund that if the govt won't?

Pretty sure those opposed now would still not be happy to watch their Dragons play every weekend at Kogarah Oval if it was against Bexley or Kingsgrove etc.

TruSaint

Referee
How would 4 years be a mistake if it is the way the NRL wants to move forward, and abandon all suburban grounds? If upgrades are required further down the track for Kogarah to meet the criteria, who is going to fund that if the govt won't?

Pretty sure those opposed now would still not be happy to watch their Dragons play every weekend at Kogarah Oval if it was against Bexley or Kingsgrove etc.

Because its a commitment we don't need to make NOW.
What do we want, stadiums of 60k plus with 10k in them?
The most watched comp in the world , the EPL, has grounds on mass at 28k - 35k.
Take away Emirates and a few others, they are all boutique HOME grounds.
This is the NRL, not the AFL.
Dynamics are very different. Viewers enjoy our game more on TV than live.
Lets fill up Kogarah, Win, Parra, Manly, etc and go from there.
There is nothing more demeaning to watching a top notch semi ( as we did last year ), with 1/3 of the stadium full.

Fingerbang

Bench
Because its a commitment we don't need to make NOW.
What do we want, stadiums of 60k plus with 10k in them?
The most watched comp in the world , the EPL, has grounds on mass at 28k - 35k.
Take away Emirates and a few others, they are all boutique HOME grounds.
This is the NRL, not the AFL.
Dynamics are very different. Viewers enjoy our game more on TV than live.
Lets fill up Kogarah, Win, Parra, Manly, etc and go from there.
There is nothing more demeaning to watching a top notch semi ( as we did last year ), with 1/3 of the stadium full.
Well that is the NRL's problem, not ours. They are the ones wanting to get rid of suburban grounds for all games. We are just trying to move forward according to their plan.

TruSaint

Referee
Well that is the NRL's problem, not ours. They are the ones wanting to get rid of suburban grounds for all games. We are just trying to move forward according to their plan.

Maybe so, but they have tried this since the super league war and lost.
It wont happen as this game is not tailored for such stadiums.
Just my opinion, but history supports it.

Fingerbang

Bench
And who will fund the upgrades needed at Kogarah to meet the criteria in say 3 or 4 years time?

Best suggestion I heard in all this was from Mr Red.....build a new 35,000 seat stadium somewhere between the Gong and St George district. Not sure it would ever get green lighted, or who would pay for it, but in my opinion (sorry Willow) certainly a better option than taking games to ANZ or SCG.

TruSaint

Referee
And who will fund the upgrades needed at Kogarah to meet the criteria in say 3 or 4 years time?

Best suggestion I heard in all this was from Mr Red.....build a new 35,000 seat stadium somewhere between the Gong and St George district. Not sure it would ever get green lighted, or who would pay for it, but in my opinion (sorry Willow) certainly a better option than taking games to ANZ or SCG.

Lets fill up Kog and Win, and worry about that later.
We cant even do that.
The criteria you mention has been floated for 11 years.
We were all supposed to play out of mega stadiums... but we didnt.
I can see it now... a new 35k stadium with an average crowd of 15k.
Like i said, semi finals were held at Alliance, and it looked like ghost town.
Anyway, time will tell.

Latest posts