What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R16 | Knights 46-16 Titans @ Hunter | Sun 2.00pm

Round 16 result :: Knights vs Titans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swarzey

Bench
If there was ever a performance to show your worth for an Origin selection, both Jimmy and Mullen had em'. Mullen's defense and kicking game was just outstanding. A lot of kicks bounced early and dribbled along the ground and consequently, their backs failed to pick it up. And his defense doesn't need any explanation, it was just solid.

And the main point a lot of South Sydney fans pulled up when Merritt was never selected was his try scoring ability. If that's the argument they use, then it's the same argument for Jimmy. Outstanding effort in attack, good ball control in the wet weather and the fact he could have easily been pushed over the touchline when he scored his third shows he's got the strength to test the defense.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
We went away from what worked so well in the first half and got a bit cute in the second. That usually happens when a side is ahead by so much.

We'll take the win, look ahead to the Bulldogs next week - no reason we can't beat them. Buderus at hooker was huge - words don't describe how important he is to this team. Does he have to retire? :(

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'm going to buck the trend and say that Costigan played well today. He was very aggressive and he definitely had a dig. I was also impressed with Tetevano (spelling).

If the team can win this up coming weekend against the Dogs and then collect 2 points from the bye the following week and all of a sudden we will be sitting pretty on 20 points! :)

rnb11

Juniors
Great win by the boys, it's rare you see a team so dominant and go on that sort of a scoring spree in muddy conditions. Even when we dropped off in attack we were annihilating them in defence and doing most things right.

Yep, a win next weekend and then the bye we're a chance of being just 1 point out of the top 4 before going to Penrith.

otori

Juniors
I was really happy with Roberts today. He's been copping a lot of flak on here recently about his form and one dimensional nature so I was happy to see him set up some backline moves and put McManus over with that brilliant pass. I think he's got a lot of potential and we need to continue to show him some respect and loyalty.

Tetevano and Snowden really impressed me up front. Also, what the hell was that report on Mason for the hit on Irwin? The only reason he had a bloody lip is cause he tucked his chin in and looked down. A penalty maybe but I don't think Mason has much to answer for there.

Rod

Bench
Identical tackle to what got Smith his long suspension earlier in the year- only difference was that forearm didn't make contact.

Yeah, I noticed straight away how similar they were. Pretty funny that today's didn't even warrant a penalty.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I dont want to take any shine off the knights win, however the titans were terrible today. Reshuffling their backline due to losing idris as well as having a bad case of the dropsies made there task very difficult. The most pleasing part of the knights performance today was how well the forwards performed on both sides off the ball. Also mullens kicking game in the first half was amazing. He dead set had the ball on a string. Also how powerful was scott today? He kept dominating in attack and defence.

Swarzey

Bench
I'm pretty amazed at how well we handled ourselves in the wet. You saw last nights Tiger/Storm game and both sides struggled. We done pretty well. Only a few errors.

chinorocks

Juniors
Just watched the replay of the first half as I had to work today. As good as 36 points is the thing that stood out was our attitude in defence. Our kickchase (and kicks) were sensatinal and our aggression didnt allow them anything. As many errors as they made at least half of them were forced by great D.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The boys treated the game like a skills session from the 55th minute onwards and who could blame them, they were up by 40+ points ffs. Get a grip people

A clinical and dominating performance from the get go and I loved it. Costigan can bugger off though

Hope it pisses rain from now until October

Burwood

Bench
Also, what the hell was that report on Mason for the hit on Irwin? The only reason he had a bloody lip is cause he tucked his chin in and looked down. A penalty maybe but I don't think Mason has much to answer for there.

My understanding is that the video ref can't step in unless there is foul play, i.e. a reportable offence- it was designed to stop players going down and milking penalties because of minimal contact with the head etc.

The problem these days is that refs are putting everything on report.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Lol we won by 30 and the wrist slitters are still out in force. That was our first win in over a month and we're back in the top 8. Be f**king relieved for a minute. I know I am.

The last try was disappointing but it came directly off f**k ups from Houston and Costigan and we all know they're shit.

I don't think it's 'wrist slitting'. We're just keeping our feet on the ground. We put in a very good first half performance against the worst Titans' outfit I have ever seen. In the second half a combination of them sorting out their shit and us deciding to coast allowed them to get back into it.

It's all very well to say "Oh, we had it won. They were just messing around" - but I don't think Bennett will see it that way. He'll be disappointed, as I am, with the fact they weren't able to maintain the pressure and defensive intensity for the full eighty. That's something we sorely need to practice because the games where we take 36-0 leads are going to be few and far between.

Keeping the Titans scoreless and putting a few more tries on them in that second half would have been a good rehearsal in maintaining intensity for our game next weekend against a much better side than the Titans (on form).

Big Tim

First Grade
I'm going to buck the trend and say that Costigan played well today. He was very aggressive and he definitely had a dig. I was also impressed with Tetevano (spelling).

If the team can win this up coming weekend against the Dogs and then collect 2 points from the bye the following week and all of a sudden we will be sitting pretty on 20 points! :)

I will say the same about House.

He looked real good playing prop, and only lost his effectiveness when he moved to the backrow/centres. A shame he dropped that last ball, but his work in the middle was very good. I think bench prop is a good spot for him as he provides some amount of flexibility.

My understanding is that the video ref can't step in unless there is foul play, i.e. a reportable offence- it was designed to stop players going down and milking penalties because of minimal contact with the head etc.

The problem these days is that refs are putting everything on report.

Costigan is the one that got him high, but he was falling in the Mason tackle. Neither have anything to worry about.

Burwood

Bench
I don't think it's 'wrist slitting'. We're just keeping our feet on the ground. We put in a very good first half performance against the worst Titans' outfit I have ever seen. In the second half a combination of them sorting out their shit and us deciding to coast allowed them to get back into it.

It's all very well to say "Oh, we had it won. They were just messing around" - but I don't think Bennett will see it that way. He'll be disappointed, as I am, with the fact they weren't able to maintain the pressure and defensive intensity for the full eighty. That's something we sorely need to practice because the games where we take 36-0 leads are going to be few and far between.

Keeping the Titans scoreless and putting a few more tries on them in that second half would have been a good rehearsal in maintaining intensity for our game next weekend against a much better side than the Titans (on form).

Have you seen the press conference? Wayne didn't have anything negative to say about the team's second half performance at all- he actually said he took responsibility for it because he took off key players to avoid injuries etc.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/League/...672183103?subcat=1225914658670&site=FoxSports

Misanthrope

Staff member

Burwood

Bench
Costigan is the one that got him high, but he was falling in the Mason tackle. Neither have anything to worry about.

Exactly- the only reason it was put on report was to justify awarding the penalty after the Titans player stayed down. Completely goes against the whole point of having the video ref stay out of minor infringements.

Great performance. Name the last team to lead 36 nil at half time in that sort of weather. It knocks the living crap out of your body running in that weather. McManus deserves an origin berth after today. Absolutely tore them apart. Our forwards have aimed up and belted this mob twice now.

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
I don't think I've ever seen a side rack up a 40-odd point lead and carry on with the job as ruthlessly in the 70th as they did in the 7th.

One freak try by Gordon and one very lazy effort by a couple of players on the final whistle does not suddenly take away what an incredible performance we put in. The Titans gave us a couple of favours but we didn't give them an inch until very late in the second half.

Burwood

Bench
I guess after the shit we've dished up in recent weeks, losing 16-10 isn't such a bad result.

Have we dished up shit the last few weeks? Against the Warriors fair enough, but have been building towards today's performance for a few weeks now.

Noname36

First Grade

Who isn't "keeping their feet on the ground"? I'm not saying it was a perfect performance, nobody has...but the fact of the matter is we were coming off 5 straight losses and we managed to pull off a win by 30 points. FFS, lets take a moment to feel happy and relieved about that before the constant bitching and whining comes out again.

Yes the Titans were poor, but we forced them into those errors with our intensity in defense. Like others have said, the Titans only started to come over us in the last 10 minutes after they got some possession following their run away try. By that stage it really didn't matter. You really can't sustain the incredible intensity we started the game with for 80 minutes when you have such a convincing lead. Anybody who has played any type of physical sport knows that. We've shown in recent weeks that we can maintain intensity and stay with sides when it's a close game.

Latest posts