What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2 v Dolphins.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Looks like our plan was to keep it simple and wear down their ‘old’ forwards in the first half and then run them down in the second.

I think those forwards from the fins went out there with a point to prove after their loss last week and the associated media commentary. Boy did they prove it.

Blake and Luc’s performances were probably the most disappointing thing for me … beside the score of course.

Start again Monday boys.
Yeah great points Tuddy. I was very disappointed with Blocka, but I feel like he's still injured

maestro1

Bench
Dragons flew out to brisbane on sat arvo. So it's not the conditions or some sort of camp in qld issue lol.

Their excellent line speed & ruck domination meant we were always on the back foot. We held on in the 1st half but it gassed us too much in the 2nd half, especially when we made dumb errors.

Our line speed, ability to win the ruck & make effective tackles was poor. We also didn't have proper attacking shape & were caught out too often with 1 out hit ups or flat footed runs. Some very poor organisation, as a result of our heavy defensive work load & regular errors imo.

A really disappointing performance tonight but for fans to overreact to last week & now this week shows the fickle nature of our supporter group.

Let them play a block of games before passing judgement.

Our kicking game was Park footy level. Deplorable. Kicked it down their throats 9 times our if 10 and the kick chase was non existent after The Hammer scored from our kick.

The Dolphins were allowed to wrestle and impede our attempts at a fast play the ball and they were moving early all game. Ref allowed it for them but policed it if we tried it.

We allowed their kickers too much time and we were too casual getting the ball to ground when we should have tucked the ball into our chest and fallen to score. 3 times the knocked the ball out of our hands as we were scoring. I think Flanno needs to do some drills around this

Parko1310

Juniors
Our kicking game was Park footy level. Deplorable. Kicked it down their throats 9 times our if 10 and the kick chase was non existent after The Hammer scored from our kick.

The Dolphins were allowed to wrestle and impede our attempts at a fast play the ball and they were moving early all game. Ref allowed it for them but policed it if we tried it.

We allowed their kickers too much time and we were too casual getting the ball to ground when we should have tucked the ball into our chest and fallen to score. 3 times the knocked the ball out of our hands as we were scoring. I think Flanno needs to do some drills around this
The kicking game plan was absolutely shocking. Why the hell were we kicking to the hammer almost exclusively, who does no work coming out of his end? Isaako is by far and away the best of their back 3 coming out of their end, and we let him do his job in that regard?? Why the hell wouldn't we kick to Isaako and smack him when the ball lands in his hands? That way we force Hammer to try and come out of his own end and drag him backwards. Instead we kicked to the Hammer, his speed let him gain 15-20 metres of ground on the kick return, and then Isaako followed up the next play with a powerful 10m run putting us further on the back foot. Dumb, dumb, dumb

Liddle was knocked into next week by a hip..he was lucky to stay on after 20
Yes, on two occasions in the first half he should have gone for HIA, but it was not convenient for Dragons- we needed him in attack- so he stayed on. Last week JDB went off for a HIA after 30 minutes, a very convenient time to get him a breather and a free interchange!

HIA rules are being abused by several teams around the league.

Hard to disagree with much there although I think Hunt and Flanno jr had very little space to play as our forwards were smashed, no quick play the balls or effective off loads. I think Flanno‘s plan is a power game but we were shown up by speed and very poor defence around the ruck. The Cows will watch the video with interest. We will need a really fast start and some luck…
I agree that we can't expect the halves to destroy the other team when we are on the back foot. However, in this situation it is important that they do not contribute to the feedback loop by producing errors. Part of the reason guys like Cleary and Thurston are so good is that they know when to take their medicine. That is, they take the correct but tough decision rather than looking for short cuts.

First player dropped but please don't replace him with a Feagai.

Bird needs a spell but probably a coach's favourite.
While I prefer Lomax at right centre, I think Bird has been OK in the centres this year. However, it will not matter how badly he plays. He is not "probably a coach's favourite" but rather definitely his favourite (Kyle runs a close second). That's why Lomax is on the wing.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

100%.......we were crap yesterday and the Dophins completely dominated no argument here ,and I've already commented several times how we allowed their kickers to do whatever they liked, but the blatant holding down and as you said the wrestle and impeding in the play the ball should have been penalised by the ref...imo its typical lack of enforcing the rules influenced by the home crowd hysteria in a lot of instances.....the same thing happened in the Manly Roosters game yesterday at Brooky where in particular the Trbojevic bros got away time and time again with wrestling and impeding the opposition's play the ball......anyhow all that aside if will be back to bad ol days for us unless Flanno gets the balance and structure of our team to resemble some form of a competative unit again because I'm sure we've all woke this morning with a bad taste in our mouths