What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R20 // Knights 16-12 Roosters @ Hunter // Fri 7.40pm

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It may only be the opposition he's playing against (we all know U20 doesnt have the best defencive structures), but Sione really reminds me of Greg Inglis in '05/'06, back when he was a skinny little guy...

The way Sione can look so strong in brushing off a few defenders at a time, but doing this without slowing or losing balance, really has a GI feel....

Sacrolishes

Juniors
two Mata'utia's now. Channel getting his chance now in place of Aku (injured knee). However I feel Bennett may have hooked him after his performance last week.

PhilGould

Bench
Pat must feel like the black sheep of the family lol
He'll get a go at some point, he's younger than Chanel. Apparently McManus is in doubt as well so it's possible Pat could be there tomorrow night with his brothers. I do find it a bit strange that Mamo's not playing. Is he injured?

perverse

Referee
I reckon he's just giving Mamo a bit of a break and a chance to rebuild a bit of confidence. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in first grade, let him go and make some under 20's look stupid for a while.

This is also the first week our season is officially and mathematically over - I don't think that it's all co-incidence that we're giving some debutants a run. A prudent move in my opinion.

Swarzey

Bench
^ Actually, if we win the remaining six games it's a possibility. Unlikely but it is over.

Pretty excited to see Chanel in first grade. Was insanely good at the back end of last year and beginning of this.

Noname36

First Grade
I reckon he's just giving Mamo a bit of a break and a chance to rebuild a bit of confidence. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in first grade, let him go and make some under 20's look stupid for a while.

This is also the first week our season is officially and mathematically over - I don't think that it's all co-incidence that we're giving some debutants a run. A prudent move in my opinion.

Tbh every time Mamo has played he's been one of our strongest I thought. Hasn't set the world alight no, but it's not like he's had a great deal of chances (we've lost every game he's played through no fault of his own).

Good for the brothers to get to debut together though.

As Wayne said the only reason Chanel hasn't played grade was his age. Someone wiser than me believes he will be the greatest fullback this club has seen yet. I hate when people say those things because it clouds how you observe them if they don't come good immediately. You overlook the fact that Chanel has three or four years before we can judge him properly. I don't see him playing much grade next year TBH. The year after that though he will go in and never look back.

aqua_duck

Coach
As Wayne said the only reason Chanel hasn't played grade was his age. Someone wiser than me believes he will be the greatest fullback this club has seen yet. I hate when people say those things because it clouds how you observe them if they don't come good immediately. You overlook the fact that Chanel has three or four years before we can judge him properly. I don't see him playing much grade next year TBH. The year after that though he will go in and never look back.
Sione is the prodigy not Chanel. In regards to Sione, I was told about 2 years ago that he was the best outside back prospect that has come through the juniors since Timana. Now it's one thing for a kid to do well in juniors but Sione has dominated and not just against kids his age but also against older kids most of the time

Knight Vision

First Grade
Huge game for our new back 3 ...
Brothers Sione and Chanel Mata'utia will make their NRL debuts together for Newcastle as late replacements for Darius Boyd and Akuila Uate against the Roosters at Hunter Stadium on Friday night.
Sione, 18, will play fullback for Boyd and Chanel, 21, will take Uate's spot on the right wing. James McManus will miss his second straight game due to a toe injury he picked up in Origin III, Jake Mamo will again replace him on the left wing.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...tia-brothers-dream-debuts-20140724-zwfj0.html

Swarzey

Bench
Should swap Gagai and BJ around. If they get enough room, the idea of Sione, Gagai and Mamo linking up is just mouthwatering to me.

Sione is the prodigy not Chanel. In regards to Sione, I was told about 2 years ago that he was the best outside back prospect that has come through the juniors since Timana. Now it's one thing for a kid to do well in juniors but Sione has dominated and not just against kids his age but also against older kids most of the time

I understand Sione is the prodigy. It was an error that I got the names mixed up.

Wow, that back 3 is soooooo inexperienced. But I am excited nonetheless. They will all be targeted obviously, hopefully they all have solid games.

Yosh

Coach
Lol... The back three have a massive 4 NRL games experience between them... Hahaha.

Latest posts