What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R27 Knights game.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
good read.

Firstly, I would say I feel sorry for the fans that turned up but I don’t know why people are paying to go watch a broken team of a mis run club. You are suppose to use your hard earnt to pay for goods and services from professionals. We are more like a charity case that in return provide nothing for the local community. Not only have red v fans been one of the most passionate over the decades but are proving to be most loyal (and stupid). I can’t give fuel to this club but that’s another story…

Your summary of players is spot on. Not sure if it were the short drop outs or a Feagai running over the sideline on tackle 1 which were my highlights. Was willing to see Burns under Flannagan but he was beyond embarrassing and just another weak spot for the opposition to find.

I agree re Hunt. He may be no knight in shining armour himself but he is talented and dogged and is surrounded by such amateur players around him. Players that have been proven to be uncoachable and need to never play first grade again. We tried them, they’ve been tested, and failed. They don’t know what standards are and get rewarded by the likes of Carr/Hook/Mary when in reality they have no place in a white jersey with a red v on it.

I agree re Hunt. He may be no knight in shining armour himself but he is talented and dogged and is surrounded by such amateur players around him. Players that have been proven to be uncoachable and need to never play first grade again. We tried them, they’ve been tested, and failed. They don’t know what standards are and get rewarded by the likes of Carr/Hook/Mary when in reality they have no place in a white jersey with a red v on it.

“They didn’t even leave the field as a team”.
How typical is that. How ungrateful to the supporters can you be? That’s repulsive and yet I saw them laughing it up with all the knights reserve graders. I can’t and won’t put my support behind these pretenders. Panthers will wait for the interviews player to be released before they head in at half time. That’s the culture we should aspire to.
We look like amateurs play like amateurs act like amateurs are run by amateurs and yet these boofheads are paid as professionals???? Go figure

BLM01

First Grade
good read.

Firstly, I would say I feel sorry for the fans that turned up but I don’t know why people are paying to go watch a broken team of a mis run club. You are suppose to use your hard earnt to pay for goods and services from professionals. We are more like a charity case that in return provide nothing for the local community. Not only have red v fans been one of the most passionate over the decades but are proving to be most loyal (and stupid). I can’t give fuel to this club but that’s another story…

Your summary of players is spot on. Not sure if it were the short drop outs or a Feagai running over the sideline on tackle 1 which were my highlights. Was willing to see Burns under Flannagan but he was beyond embarrassing and just another weak spot for the opposition to find.

“They didn’t even leave the field as a team”.
How typical is that. How ungrateful to the supporters can you be? That’s repulsive and yet I saw them laughing it up with all the knights reserve graders. I can’t and won’t put my support behind these pretenders. Panthers will wait for the interviews player to be released before they head in at half time. That’s the culture we should aspire to.
You cant blame Carr. Which depth players are better?

BLM01

First Grade
Lot of despair in the air, last night was simply a confirmation, team has tried hard, but all the flaws were again clearly on display again…early penalties and set restarts to get the scoreboard moving, arm grab tackling, short kick out comedy routines, wingers off wings, centres of limited capability, barely interested marquee player, same losing attacking structure, same holey left side defence, de Belin again too forceful in tackles (ffs), unsuccessful captain challenges….
I think we ticked all the boxes in 80 minutes.
We did not get one penalty nor 6 again in and around the other team being offside from the play the ball or something to do with and around the ruck.

BLM01

First Grade
FFS Tyson Gamble looked like a superstar last night. And he’s f@cking useless. Only we can make reserve graders like this look good.
Gamble has been good all year for them and was at the Broncos. Of course he is not an elite and just a toiler and a grub but he is 1st grade. Your argument is flawed as he plays No 6 whenever Ponga was not there + when he moved to fullback. They have played good most of the year and now won 9 in a row and he is part of that. If he was crap Newcastle would not have him in their side ATM as their depth is good

BLM01

First Grade
Agree entirely with what you say. Hard to see anyone on the current roster apart from Hunt who are true first grade standard, Lomax maybe in a better team. Penrith valued their lower grades and used them as a nursery and it paid dividends. The bulk of the present team are talentless, De Belin looks past it.
I disagree. JDB has come off 4 weeks off and also has to come to terms with the game in the 2020's and over sensitive reactions to a player being injured and change his technique and is now a bit gun shy.. just like Radley, Rava and a few others.
I thought he did nothing wrong last night with that tackle and was over the top.
Tackling with force is an issue supposedly. If they change the rules around when is a player held all will be solved with this mess we are in.

My unbiased list of 1st grade standard players are. (Some of these need strict training standards, good coaching, game plans and structures and they will be fine)
Rava, Suli, Lomax, Hunt, JDB, Sua, Bird, Lawrie, FMolo, Liddle. I will add Sloane, Connor M with a disclaimer with improvement under Flanno)

BLM01

First Grade
Can someone tell me why we do all our playing before the defensive line. My old man pointed it out and said even I can defend that. No wonder we look slow mo in attack.
They are trying to mimic like all teams do the better sides. It is just we dont train as hard and are not as crisp and dont have confidence in each other where to be and when etc.
Its training ethic and practice. We dont do it enough

BLM01

First Grade
IMO if you think this year was bad, next year is even more of a real worry.
We will be struggling to keep 16th.
WT are on the improve and will have a stronger roster.
How will WT have a stronger roster after losing Laurie, Talau, Brooks and maybe Papa, Douehi not back till mid year.. and signing Sezer & Sullivan and having the same coach?

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Last night clearly showed the total disconnect between all the different positions in our NRL team.

Middles, edges, halves, spine, etc etc all act independently of each other with no cohesion whatsoever.

Our team operates like an old crash gear box with no clutch or synchromesh.

There must be some immovable force within the dressing room that has our last 4 coaches adopt the bash and barge, 5 hit ups and useless kick, pass to the flat footed forward who thinks he is a ball playing link, try and grab an arm and hang on as he runs past, style of footy that now typifies our club.

Interesting looking back over the comments on our 2nd row options and what style we need in that position IMO it comes down to 2 styles

Style 1) Wynn, Gourley, Creagh wide running, fast, tackle busting with iffy hands and ok but not great defence but they can destroy the opposition on any given day.

Style 2) Barnhill, Thompson, Young, Scott less damaging in attack but peerless in defence and ensuring that your backs and halves have a no nonsense enforcer beside them to clean up any misses. This allows some latitude for the high quality attacking half that struggles in defence ie Soward.

We unfortunately have nothing remotely like that.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
J
Last night clearly showed the total disconnect between all the different positions in our NRL team.

Middles, edges, halves, spine, etc etc all act independently of each other with no cohesion whatsoever.

Our team operates like an old crash gear box with no clutch or synchromesh.

There must be some immovable force within the dressing room that has our last 4 coaches adopt the bash and barge, 5 hit ups and useless kick, pass to the flat footed forward who thinks he is a ball playing link, try and grab an arm and hang on as he runs past, style of footy that now typifies our club.

Interesting looking back over the comments on our 2nd row options and what style we need in that position IMO it comes down to 2 styles

Style 1) Wynn, Gourley, Creagh wide running, fast, tackle busting with iffy hands and ok but not great defence but they can destroy the opposition on any given day.

Style 2) Barnhill, Thompson, Young, Scott less damaging in attack but peerless in defence and ensuring that your backs and halves have a no nonsense enforcer beside them to clean up any misses. This allows some latitude for the high quality attacking half that struggles in defence ie Soward.

We unfortunately have nothing remotely like that.
just give me one Jeremy Smith and one Graeme Wynn and I will be happy.

Texmex

Juniors
I was at the game last night. Drive all the way from the Central Coast with my kids. Hoped to hang around afterwards and get some signatures and photos but was too embarrassed. I cannot believe the lack of intensity in defence particularly from Burns and Sloan. Catch the ball and tackle - pretty important skills for full backs. Just not good enough. I don’t know how players like JDBvcontinue to put in when others don’t seem to care. Embarrassing. Glad the season is over (& I love my footy☹️)

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Which player in their right mind is watching the Dragons get flogged against Knights 2s tonight and thinking “oh I want to go there”. Players want to be associated with success - it helps them gain financially and attain personal and professional career goals to play at a good club.

mark my words. I’ve seen enough to know Flanno is screwed. He will be alone in his determination to turn the club around. This will be a recurring nightmare. Now that we’ve had a good look at the likes of Amone, Sloan and the so so young forwards it’s confirmed. Our very own current captain has openly communicated he feels the club is going nowhere.

The Broncos, with a whole city population behind them, we’re not going to allow their slump to continue any longer than two years. They got Ikin and also went all out in recruitment and scouting of juniors. Their pride would not let them be disgraced any longer than they had to. WE HAVE NO FREAKIN PRIDE.
So true in what you say, who in their right mind would come here, with all the bullshit from the board and the shit within the team. We have been low before, but never ever like this absolute shitshow. Like you said about Brisbane, we have a f**king billionaire who owns the club and what is done nothings just crickets. There will have to be a massive turnaround in the next 4 months I will believe it when I see it Flanno is on a hiding to nothing.

denis preston

First Grade
So true in what you say, who in their right mind would come here, with all the bullshit from the board and the shit within the team. We have been low before, but never ever like this absolute shitshow. Like you said about Brisbane, we have a f**king billionaire who owns the club and what is done nothings just crickets. There will have to be a massive turnaround in the next 4 months I will believe it when I see it Flanno is on a hiding to nothing.
Let’s hoe Flanno has some tricks up his sleeve and 4 or 5 good players are signed in this 4 months. Otherwise it don’t look good.

justadragon

Bench
I mentioned at the start of this thread that members and fans shouldn't go to the game in protest to how this club has capitulated to the depths it has. I had already been embarrassed enough at WIN this year. I feel sorry for the people that attended and totally embarrassed for the ex players who were there. Until everyone at this club stops accepting admirable losses as the pass mark we are going nowhere. 5 games we won this year, that's all we need to know and we couldnt beat anyone away which is even worse. We have no one representing the club in finals, our lower grades folded like a deck of cards once we started drawing players from them to support the NRL team, plus there seemed to be no cohesion between KOE and NRL. I said I would put my trust in Flanno, but how is he going to do this on his own, just getting pathways back in order is a massive job. The writing was on the wall for us in round 5, the season was over even before it began, I cant even begin to imagine what 2024 will look like, atm its very unclear to me which is a sad thing