What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

Mr Red

First Grade
i always thought fingerbang was "special" and this rant reinforces that opinion.
for the record i travel from Newcastle to attend dragon games so playing more at the SCG or Allianz stadiums is easier for me to get to...

however in saying that i would much rather be inconvenienced by the extra travel to Kogarah if it meant a home ground advantage would increase the teams chances of winning...

and 18,000 at kogarah is an awesome atmosphere, 18,000 and Allianz or worse still Homebush is a ghost town....

Mr Red

First Grade
Dave smith, had an agenda to strategically reduce the number of teams in Sydney. His comments in support this decision are the beginning of that strategy

correct...

And creating a "nomadic" team which in theory we will be heading towards under the new deal makes it one step easier to amalgamate since the team loses its fabric and identity associated with any particular geographic location.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fingerbang, with respect, I note the irony of someone coming in to hijack a thread and then telling others to get off their high horse. FFS dude, you made several posts in a row to show that you were going out of your way to get offended.

IMHO, if you don't like the subject matter, it is uncool to wreck it so others can't discuss it.

You have an opinion, so do I. My opinion is that you've made some good contributions in the past, but this ain't one of them. Might be a an idea to sit this one out mate... for the good of the team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
With respects to people's right to an opinion, anyone who thinks Saints have made a good decision is deluded. A few comments:

The TV rights deal is a record sum, yet we now we are being told we need to sell home ground advantage 4 times a season to survive

St George have sold home ground advantage to our arch rivals. Can anyone see Arsenal moving their home derby fixture to white hart lane, like we will now do v the bulldogs.

Playing home games at 4 grounds removes any ability to create a "fortress" and will without question, result in our team finishing lower on the table. FACT

Dave smith, had an agenda to strategically reduce the number of teams in Sydney. His comments in support this decision are the beginning of that strategy

ANZ stadium is a disease on rugby league.
This is pretty much where I sit of the matter.

When we last played a season out of Homebush, the crowds were down in real terms. Add to that the open cavern of the stadium and it just looked like crap. Soul-less crap.

We are giving away our home ground advantage with this decision. Every time we move away from our home grounds, we have a shit season. It has been a mess for too long, and the club admin continue to look for ways to make it more of a mess. We have an admin that appear to be locked into a cycle of short term gains for long term losses.

There may be some financial kickback happening somewhere from the SCG, Sydney F.S. or Homebush... but this isn't a good enough reason to piss off a majority of loyal fans.

Let's not forget 86 and 87. When we were nomads we were shit. It's way easier for me to get to games at the SCG or Allianz. It's a walk instead of a train ride to a station where trains never f****ng stop. I can't even get to Wollongong so forget that.

But we have to play all home games at Kogarah or the Gong. We have to have some sort of home ground advantage.

It all looked so promising when we signed Widdop. Now next season is starting to look like a genuine fiasco. Godz, I said at the start of 2013 that things were beginning to look like the 80s. We might be a bit of a joke for three or four years.

inside_pass

Bench
Sadly it's a sign of the times.
Clubs are after every cent they can get,even if it's playing a game in an empty 80,000 seat stadium!
Don't agree with this decision but maybe we have no other option?I thought I read somewhere recently that we were doing it tough financially?
I think all Nrl games will be played at the major stadiums in the future,this is just the beginning of going down that road.
Sad times!

Godz Illa

Coach
Great post R2K.

From a selfish point of view I'm devastated that my beloved Jubilee has been scaled back to this extent. But its a genuine kick in the guts to the entire Illawarra region as well

Sad state of affairs.

pfrano

Juniors
Sadly it's a sign of the times.
Clubs are after every cent they can get,even if it's playing a game in an empty 80,000 seat stadium!
Don't agree with this decision but maybe we have no other option?I thought I read somewhere recently that we were doing it tough financially?
I think all Nrl games will be played at the major stadiums in the future,this is just the beginning of going down that road.
Sad times!

Totally agree. Unfortunately, it is were the future will take us.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The financial reasoning has been somewhat sidestepped by the club. Just some newspeak about, "ensuring long-term sustainability". If the "long-term sustainability" relies on venue swapping, then this creates more questions than answers.

Roo...

Juniors
As a merged entity I'd argue we forefited our right to sell a few home games in lieu of the financial reward we received for merging.

You know, you cant have your cake and all that.....

Rexxy

Coach
whats that quote about not learning from history...

photo.JPG

Last edited:

Fingerbang

Bench
Fingerbang, with respect, I note the irony of someone coming in to hijack a thread and then telling others to get off their high horse. FFS dude, you made several posts in a row to show that you were going out of your way to get offended.

IMHO, if you don't like the subject matter, it is uncool to wreck it so others can't discuss it.

You have an opinion, so do I. My opinion is that you've made some good contributions in the past, but this ain't one of them. Might be a an idea to sit this one out mate... for the good of the team.
Willow, how is me asking r2k to not talk for me as I am capable of forming my own opinions, hijacking the thread? I politely asked him to not include me as part of all Dragons fans, as stated by him, and he thought he would belittle me because I won't allow myself to blindly follow him like the rest of his flock.

And because I have a differing opinion to most about Kogarah, I should sit this one out? Baaaaaaaa!

Last edited:

Father Ted

First Grade
The last time we left Kogarah I remember the kids loved it , What with all that vast unused space to run around in. A percentage won't go , they'll boycott . And I am willing to bet season ticketholders will fall. Our CEO who was ever a stranger to plain and direct English has never understood the value of Home ground advantage sadly .But we will get dollars from people with other agenda's ..

Fingerbang

Bench
I hereby elect Fingerbang as the official #1 Fan ambassador endorsing the move away from the heartland of St George, see you at the rally!
Sticks....my team now is St George Illawarra Dragons. Can you tell me where the heartland is for them?

Fingerbang

Bench
I never said it was, father....just asking Sticks if he feels it is still Kogarah.

That is if Willow allows me to ask the question, or participate in the conversation because my opinion differs from the majority.

Slackboy72

Coach
Sorry guys I ave to agree with fingerbang. As much as Kogarah has improved over the last 5 years it is sadly lacking in many areas.
Even though I have some great memories of it stretching back to 83 it really needs some rose coloured glasses to ignore the fact that it is deficient in facilities, capacity and access.
And R2K, you questioning whether someone is a true St George fan is absolutely ridiculous. It's that sort of BS that makes your 'cause' harder to support.

Latest posts