What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

Slackboy72

Coach
2. Toilets I partially agree. The toilets in the northern grandstand are excellent, the one's behind the old scoreboard are 1970's and should be closed. The Hill area or outer ground have access to the toilets behind the grandstand on the far southern end they are excellent. I can't speak for the western grandstand toilets as I have never been there.
I'm not sure if the western grandstand has changed the toilets since the 80's and the last time I used the ones behind the hill was a traumatic experience for all concerned.

3. Corporate boxes I have no experience to comment but I think that would be a given that the ANZ will win that part of the comparison.
Some of the boxes in the western grandstand look more like corporate broom closets. Not a good look when we're trying to entertain all those bankers and car salesmen who keep the team from being liquidated.

Access and transport. 12k crowds no problems, you can park a car reasonably close by. Full crowd and you arrive when I normally do (30min before kickoff) expect a 25 minute walk. I can get closer but I would then spend additional time in my car trying to head south. So it is easier to walk a little more than sit in heavy traffic.
I always have to drive 3 hours to home games so maybe I'm a little more precious about this than most.

Look, I'm not asking for ANZ standards. Personally for my money the olympic stand at the MCG is the best quality facilities in the country. That's clearly not an option for us. But the fact is we are the most supported team in Sydney and we deserve better. If we want better grounds and better attendances and more money for the team then Kogarah isn't contributing greatly to the solution in the long term. It's limited on what it can do for a club that should be aiming for 25,000 home crowds.
Is the SCG the answer? Not really.
ANZ? I'd rather not.
Allianz? Maybe.

But ask yourself this: How do the rabbits average 22,600 in 2013 while we averaged 16,800* in 2010? That's 70,000 more paying customers through the gate. 70,000 x $20 = $1.4m.
What club couldn't do with that?

* that's with one home game moved to the SFS i.e. ANZAC day.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Exactly as I have written, "facilities, capacity and access"
Facilities - food and beverage service, toilets, corporate boxes, etc. They're relatively poor.
I've never been in a corporate box at Jubilee, but they always look to have plenty of food and beer on hand. So not sure what you're talking about there.

You can also go into the more exclusive areas where there are no queues at all and the food is laid on. I tried it once but truth is, I always get by without all that. And I can always get a pie and beer. Plus, between you and me, there are ways to bring your own stuff in if you aren't dopey about it.
Slackboy72 said:
Capacity - More the local constabulay's fault but limiting us to 19,000 (or is it 18,500?) when we could have sold 20-25,000 tickets for a 'marquee' match hurts us.
The cops capped during a Canterbury match and the cap has remained in place - not sure why. In any case, 18,000 looks awesome at Kogarah. I can't imagine there being any atmosphere at Homebush.
Slackboy72 said:
Access - The eternal disadvantage of suburban grounds is always going to be access especially for people who have to drive (i.e. no ready or easy access to rail transport to Carlton). I'm not saying Moore Park is any better though.
Moore Park is far worse. And Carlton train station is just a short walk up the road. Not sure what you mean by no ready or easy rail access - Kogarah would have to be one of the best grounds for rail access.

I've never had any trouble getting to Kogarah, admittedly I get in early and we park in the club carpark. But if you arrive 5 minutes before kick off, you'll have traffic, parking and train issues at any venue.
Slackboy72 said:
The only things it really has going for it is that it is an excellent surface and on Sunday afternoons it has a nice nostalgic atmosphere to it.
For the most (or 2nd most) popular league team in the country it's a real anathema.
It certainly has more going for it than that, much more.
Slackboy72 said:
Back in the golden era we used to have an astonishing home record at Kogarah.
That's because we were always playing at the SCG.
Well sorry to rock your negative analysis but... here's the facts:

From 1954-1966 we never lost a game at Kogarah. We played far more games at Kogarah during this time.

The golden years of course were between 1956-66, and even then played more than half our home games at Kogarah along with those 'match of the day' games at the SCG.

During this period we never lost at Kogarah, but we lost at the SCG. Might have something to do with giving up the home ground advantage.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm sorry Willow but it's below average whether you pay extra or not.
That's your opinion. I don't have a problem with it, but to be fair I don't go in looking for cushioned seats and butlers.

My only advice is to get there early, the other upside is that you get to watch the U/20s.
Slackboy72 said:
I don't recall using those exact words
Your memory escapes you on call. But yup, you called our home ground a shithole. You seemed surprised by the response.
Slackboy72 said:
but I remember when I expressed my disdain
lol. Much nicer.
Slackboy72 said:
for the state the facilities were in in 2005 (which were worse than they are now)
Well it was before the impending upgrades that everyone knew about - the upgrades that resulted from the re-opening of Kogarah thanks to R2K.

The fact that upgrades are now ongoing doesn't appear to have changed your view much. At least you are choosing your words more carefully nowadays. lol.

Godz Illa

Coach
I've been in corporate boxes at Kogarah, SFS and Parra Stadium [/brag]. Kogarah's are fine. You spend the game out in the seats in front of them anyway

jenninga

First Grade
Exactly as I have written, "facilities, capacity and access"
Facilities - food and beverage service, toilets, corporate boxes, etc. They're relatively poor.
Capacity - More the local constabulay's fault but limiting us to 19,000 (or is it 18,500?) when we could have sold 20-25,000 tickets for a 'marquee' match hurts us.
Access - The eternal disadvantage of suburban grounds is always going to be access especially for people who have to drive (i.e. no ready or easy access to rail transport to Carlton). I'm not saying Moore Park is any better though.
The only things it really has going for it is that it is an excellent surface and on Sunday afternoons it has a nice nostalgic atmosphere to it.
For the most (or 2nd most) popular league team in the country it's a real anathema.
Back in the golden era we used to have an astonishing home record at Kogarah.
That's because we were always playing at the SCG.

Food lines and quality are same at every ground,parking at Kogarah has never been a problem, I park in the same spot just up from the golf course every game.F#*k nostalgia,i don't sit there at the SCG and reminisce about 1976,i have the sh*ts that the play is a mile away.
And the surface ,Kogarah is like a carpet.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I've been in corporate boxes at Kogarah, SFS and Parra Stadium [/brag]. Kogarah's are fine. You spend the game out in the seats in front of them anyway
Actually I forgot, I have been in a corporate box at the SFS. And I do recall just sitting in the front seats.

It was all very nice with the snacks and drinks and service, but the view wasn't great - imo people in the cheaper seats had it better.

I got the impression that most of the people in the corp box weren't really there for the game anyway. But that's business.

TruSaint

Referee
Actually I forgot, I have been in a corporate box at the SFS. And I do recall just sitting in the front seats.

It was all very nice with the snacks and drinks and service, but the view wasn't great - imo people in the cheaper seats had it better.

I got the impression that most of the people in the corp box weren't really there for the game anyway. But that's business.

Just posted on the other thread... the deal is for 4 years.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1915506/poll-dragons-slash-wollongong-games/?cs=12

16 games in the Gong over 4 years...

Godz Illa

Coach
I remain hopeful that you'll contribute something of value to this forum someday. I'm an optimist at heart

FundyDragon

Bench
I remain hopeful that you'll contribute something of value to this forum someday. I'm an optimist at heart

Seeing that I have your current interest, is it acceptable behaviour of a moderator to post offensive insults and language towards an individual on Jubilee Avenue. Godz you just need to accept some people have different opinions to yourself, like it or not there is no need for personal insults simply because you don't like what you hear.

Can we move on now or what?

_Johnsy

Referee
Please don't assume this of all Dragon's fans....I for one have never been a fan of r2k or Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

But, but if you're a real dragon fan you must love both & not be negotiable on anything anti red v or kogarah.

At this point it is 4 games for 4 years. If the fans support the change & crowds increase for marquee games they'll probably keep it going. If it doesn't they may not.

Last edited:

Fingerbang

Bench
Not worth arguing about anymore, Johnsy....even if you are just trying to get a rise out of me....:p

Only certain opinions are allowed a voice around here.

Maximus

Coach
Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the heart and soul of the Dragons, heck I wouldn't be as passionate a Dragons fan if it wasn't for that place. It's ok though you can go to all the ANZ games surrounded by a 3/4 empty stadium or the SFS where you might as well stay at home and watch it on TV cause you can't see anything. The only good game mentioned is the ANZAC clash which atleast there is a good atmosphere. Fair enough the Wollongong based fans need their share of home games (I assume you live in Wollongong because I can't imagine a sydney based dragons fan who has never been to kogarah) but you also have no right to diss a place like kogarah since it is a special place to many people.

Just like you have no right to diss someone's support just because they don't like Kogarah, or they were originally a Steelers fan etc.

You can be passionate about playing out of a place that will see us die sooner rather than later. I'll be passionate about the team no matter what, whether we are playing out of Kogarah and Wollongong or Baghdad. That's what true believers do. They support the team, not just the ground.

A couple of years after we won the premiership, and we are already struggling to pay the bills. We've already had to request advancements of our grant from the NRL just to pay the bills. We can continue playing out of Kogarah and WIN and turn out like the Sharks constantly needing hand outs, or we can be proactive and make a change to increase our income. The club is a business first and foremost, and I guarantee they will make more money with the move and losing some fans than they would without it and still with shit crowds.

Maximus

Coach
He didn't bag you. He understandably questioned whether you supported St George by saying:

Can you explain to me why it is understandable to question someone's support for the team just because they aren't a fan of Kogarah?

Why are original Steelers fans lesser supporters of the Dragons than the likes of you? We are after all St George Illawarra Dragons fans. Well at least some of us are.

Godz Illa

Coach
Seeing that I have your current interest, is it acceptable behaviour of a moderator to post offensive insults and language towards an individual on Jubilee Avenue. Godz you just need to accept some people have different opinions to yourself, like it or not there is no need for personal insults simply because you don't like what you hear.

Can we move on now or what?
lol You must have missed the Orientation Week we run in Jubilee Ave, it happens every February. Anyway here goes: it's a robust forum, a place where if you say something stupid you can expect to be called on it with colourful language. If these conditions don't suit you, perhaps you might consider either finding a different forum, or not saying quite so many stupid things. Being the optimist, I personally hope for option B

FundyDragon

Bench
lol You must have missed the Orientation Week we run in Jubilee Ave, it happens every February. Anyway here goes: it's a robust forum, a place where if you say something stupid you can expect to be called on it with colourful language. If these conditions don't suit you, perhaps you might consider either finding a different forum, or not saying quite so many stupid things. Being the optimist, I personally hope for option B

lol what a load of spin. You sound so much more intelligent on this forum and I will go on whatever forum I choose thank you very much. You may call it stupid, I call is difference of opinion and that is the difference between you and me.