What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2K comment - Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the right venue

R2K

Bench
18 November 2013

R2K is extremely disappointed by today’s announcement that Kogarah’s Jubilee Oval will need to squabble with Wollongong’s WIN Stadium over a mere eight home games that the Dragons haven’t allocated to Homebush, Allianz Stadium and the SCG.

The St.George-Illawarra Dragons today announced that they had committed to a “Right Game, Right Venue” strategy which provides four of our home games to Homebush’s ANZ Stadium, Allianz Stadium and the SCG.

The Dragons have announced that Kogarah’s Jubilee Oval and Wollongong will retain only eight home games per season but they are yet to announce if it will be an even allocation between each venue.

St.George-Illawarra, who finished third-last in 2013 under Coach Steve Price, have decided to reduce their commitment to their spiritual home at Kogarah Jubilee and their southern base at Wollongong for at least the next four seasons.

Kogarah Jubilee Oval has been the homeground of St.George since 1950 after it was constructed in Kogarah Park for Kogarah’s Jubilee celebrations in 1936. Saints were based at Kogarah during their world record breaking 11 successive premierships from 1956 to 1966 and they set a remarkable record at Kogarah where they were unbeaten at home for 12 years.

Since their return to Kogarah in 2003, the Dragons have been based at a venue that has acquired over $37 million of Government and community funding. During this time, Kogarah Jubilee has become the paramount boutique facility in NSW - hosting the Socceroos, the Kangaroos, Manchester United, Sydney FC and St.George Soccer.

Kogarah’s Jubilee Oval clearly deserves a better outcome than what was announced today by the Dragons’ Peter Doust and Michael McDonald.

The St.George-Illawarra Dragons want the fans to “March with Us” but there seems little incentive if the Club will only go “marching in” to Kogarah on an infrequent basis.

As previously stated, fans love their traditional surburban grounds. They are symbolic of the game’s glorious past and they need to be a significant component of the NRL’s future. St.George fans love Kogarah Jubilee, just as Manly fans love Brookvale and Tigers’ fans love Leichhardt.

They provide our clubs with a distinct home ground advantage and create community spirit in the districts that the clubs represent. As David Gallop previously said, the NRL needs to “fish where the fish are.”

Administrators like St.George-Illawarra CEO Peter Doust need to stand up for beloved suburban home grounds and not endorse an agenda that will ultimately weaken the fabric and future of rugby league.

Fingerbang

Bench
St.George fans love Kogarah Jubilee, just as Manly fans love Brookvale and Tigers? fans love Leichhardt.
Please don't assume this of all Dragon's fans....I for one have never been a fan of r2k or Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

Fingerbang

Bench
Wouldn't matter if I was the only one. Pretty sure I am entitled to form my own opinion and preferences.

R2K

Bench
Please don't assume this of all Dragon's fans....I for one have never been a fan of r2k or Kogarah Jubilee Oval.

Clearly you are not a St.George fan (you said in another post that you have never been to Jubilee) and you must have some unresolved issues if your name is fingerbang!

Fingerbang

Bench
Clearly you are not a St.George fan (you said in another post that you have never been to Jubilee) and you must have some unresolved issues if your name is fingerbang!
So when was it slated that to be a fan, u have to attend Kogarah Oval? Go f*&k yourself.

Fingerbang

Bench
But seriously dude, you have got to get off your high horse some time and realize, not everyone has the same beliefs or opinions as you. If I didn't like travelling on a train to Carlton to watch my team play a game, but preferred to go all the way to Central to watch them at SFS or SCG, how does that make me any less of a fan?

Fingerbang

Bench
The arrival of the intelligentsia - no wonder we are in trouble! :cool:
And you really think the club is in trouble because I registered on a forum named after a boy band on Southpark? Wow, I am so sorry. Why don't you organize a march to protest and force me to change my username? Probably right up your alley.

krispyredv

Juniors

Kogarah Jubilee Oval is the heart and soul of the Dragons, heck I wouldn't be as passionate a Dragons fan if it wasn't for that place. It's ok though you can go to all the ANZ games surrounded by a 3/4 empty stadium or the SFS where you might as well stay at home and watch it on TV cause you can't see anything. The only good game mentioned is the ANZAC clash which atleast there is a good atmosphere. Fair enough the Wollongong based fans need their share of home games (I assume you live in Wollongong because I can't imagine a sydney based dragons fan who has never been to kogarah) but you also have no right to diss a place like kogarah since it is a special place to many people.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
But seriously dude, you have got to get off your high horse some time and realize, not everyone has the same beliefs or opinions as you. If I didn't like travelling on a train to Carlton to watch my team play a game, but preferred to go all the way to Central to watch them at SFS or SCG, how does that make me any less of a fan?

Well said.

Now make way for the Peoples Front of Judea....or, is that The Judean Peoples Front.
(Right on cue)

:lol:

Sticks2

Juniors
I hereby elect Fingerbang as the official #1 Fan ambassador endorsing the move away from the heartland of St George, see you at the rally!

_snafu_

Immortal

:lol::lol:

_snafu_

Immortal
And you really think the club is in trouble because I registered on a forum named after a boy band on Southpark? Wow, I am so sorry. Why don't you organize a march to protest and force me to change my username? Probably right up your alley.

:lol:

Rexxy

Coach
maybe if people in this thread could just say up front if they are season ticket holders or not. Or LC or FC members. There are a lot of posts to to read and that bit of metadata could help me flag some I can scan over.

I get the fact you guys are from out of town, but moving games away from Kogarah and the Gong surely only affects what you see on TV?

us poor shmoes who have to sit thru the dross of an ANZ Match day or the pain of that wanker Luke Grant yelling inanities at us surely have a bigger dog in this race than you loungeroom jockeys.

Roo...

Juniors
With respects to people's right to an opinion, anyone who thinks Saints have made a good decision is deluded. A few comments:

The TV rights deal is a record sum, yet we now we are being told we need to sell home ground advantage 4 times a season to survive

St George have sold home ground advantage to our arch rivals. Can anyone see Arsenal moving their home derby fixture to white hart lane, like we will now do v the bulldogs.

Playing home games at 4 grounds removes any ability to create a "fortress" and will without question, result in our team finishing lower on the table. FACT

Dave smith, had an agenda to strategically reduce the number of teams in Sydney. His comments in support this decision are the beginning of that strategy

ANZ stadium is a disease on rugby league.