What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R3 | Knights 34-6 Cowboys @ Hunter | Mon 7.00pm

Round 3 result :: Knights vs Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spot On

Coach
Could not agree more with Mullo's statement yesterday about us taking arrogance to Brookie and getting rightfully put back in our box. Foran and DCE look ready for massive years. There is something more dangerous about Foran this year. He is passing before the line as opposed to his regular at or through the line running game. He is my favourite player in the game. He is stone cold tough and as pure a footballer as there is. Can a non Aussie be an immortal?

Now just imagine if we had halves that could do that. Wishful thinking aye.

When you have Joey coaching the best half combination in the game, it is a dangerous combination. Tactically Foran and DCE are varying their game more. Joey knew exactly where to send them to hurt us. It is a masterstroke by Tooves to employ the man who broke Manly hearts in 1997. When Glenn Stewart and King return they will really get motoring.

Spot On

Coach
Foran has started the year the same way he played the entire 2011 season. Last year he was injured or playing injured and was a shadow of the bloke who tore teams a new one in their last Premiership year. I'm sure Johns will have some impact on them but Foran is only doing what he has in the past when fit.

cram

Bench
Are the boys allowed flu injections. :) Bit late now. Wonder what they put in the water at Brookvale.

Flu has been running riot at present and flu injections are only just out. From experience however, flu injections are not always successful.

rnb11

Juniors
Buderus will play off the bench, Roberts goes to halfback and Gidley to starting hooker. Alex McKinnon to replace Tahu and Korbin Sims to debut against his brother. Mason still a likely late inclusion. All the sick players have recovered now apart from 1 or 2 NSW Cup players but they should still play, Pete Matautia the most affected I think.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Is that what you want to happen or what will happen based on inside info?

Frederick

Staff member
Buderus will play off the bench, Roberts goes to halfback and Gidley to starting hooker. Alex McKinnon to replace Tahu and Korbin Sims to debut against his brother. Mason still a likely late inclusion. All the sick players have recovered now apart from 1 or 2 NSW Cup players but they should still play, Pete Matautia the most affected I think.

viewtopic.php

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Versatile Gidley has practice run at rake
By ROBERT DILLON March 22, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

BEFORE a ball was kicked this season, Knights coach Wayne Bennett indicated the prospect of switching skipper Kurt Gidley to hooker was very much a last resort.

‘‘I think we’ve all seen Kurt play enough at hooker to know that, if push comes to shove, he can do that job,’’ Bennett told the Newcastle Herald in February.

With veteran Danny Buderus expected to miss the early rounds after back surgery, Bennett felt he had sufficient depth in belated recruit Travis Waddell, Matt Hilder and Chris Adams to cover the dummy-half duties.

His preference was to leave Gidley at halfback alongside Jarrod Mullen.

‘‘We’ve got to make that work,’’ Bennett said of his preferred playmaking combination.

But just two games into Newcastle’s campaign, including their 32-0 drubbing from Manly last weekend, it appears the master coach may be wavering.

During yesterday’s ball-work session at Mayfield, Gidley trained extensively as hooker.

Mullen was stationed on one side of the ruck, Tyrone Roberts on the other. This represented a significant role reversal.

In Newcastle’s first two games of the season, Roberts was used off the bench as a relieving rake, a position he has not played before.

The 21-year-old has made a reasonable fist of his new job description, considering he has probably been a halfback since he first pulled on a pair of boots for the Ballina Seagulls.

Gidley, conversely, is unlikely to ever be a natural No.7 in the classical mould, scheming, creating opportunities and dominating a match like Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk or Scott Prince.

He is a different type of player altogether but nonetheless, still one of the most valuable in the competition.

Unlike most halfbacks, Gidley is content to play second fiddle to his five-eighth.

Hence, in two games this season, he has kicked only six times in general play, compared with Mullen’s 24.

Gidley’s game is built on energy and enthusiasm rather than finesse. But his greatest asset has always been his versatility.

He has played every backline position and, on the occasions when he has filled in as hooker – at both club and representative level – he has not missed a beat.

Indeed, there are some who believe that Gidley’s skill set is best suited to dummy-half and if he played there regularly, he would be capable of usurping Robbie Farah in the NSW team.

Whether Bennett is considering such a switch should become clearer on Monday against North Queensland at Hunter Stadium.

That could depend on the fitness of Mullen, who has been nursing a knee injury but seemed to move freely yesterday.

And it may only be a short-term measure anyway, as Buderus has resumed contact training and could be available to make a comeback as early as next week.

But Bennett would no doubt remember a similar dilemma when he was at Brisbane in 2006, when Michael Ennis sustained a season-ending knee injury after only a handful of games.

For several weeks the coach juggled players like Ian Lacey, Casey McGuire and even Neville Costigan at hooker.

Eventually push came to shove. He moved Shaun Berrigan, a similar style of player to Gidley, from centre to dummy-half for the second half of the season.

Brisbane went on to beat Melbourne in the grand final and Berrigan collected the Clive Churchill Medal as man of the match.

Not a bad result for a last resort.
LINK

doggone

Juniors
Talk about switching players around, I think the weak link might be sorted out this week=end. The team just keeps getting disrupted trying to string it together:-( Hope the players with the flu get better soon, confidence must be down this week.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I'd argue if these rumours eventuate it'll be just about our strongest side...

Zoidberg

First Grade
I love Bedsy but it kinda makes you wish he didn't go around again this season, just to cut our options and probably make this decision easier and more long term.

Rolla

Juniors

Yeah true, i was working on the assumption that if Tahu was Fit he would be our starting Centre. You are right though BJ would definitely be playing for Gagai, and Likiliki (arguable our next choice before Quinn) is still injured as well, while Pete M has apparently still got the Flu...

And i thought Centre was going to be our deepest position this year but we might end up with 5/6 of our centres injured with Quinn and a backrower starting!

I blame the conditioning staff, they clearly don't know how to condition centres!

Rolla

Juniors
Anyways, i really hope that the rumour about Sims getting a run is true.

Can anyone give a decent run down of his game? I hear he looks a good prospect but haven't seen him myself. Is he another superior physical specimen like Tets and KOD that might not necessarily kill in in first grade? Or a clone of Tariq?

Gids to the nine and Tyrone to the seven. Leave it as is. Buderus off the bench. He spent three years at leeds as a bench hooker.