What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R5 eels

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra string four wins together in a row to move into the top four
Latest News
r0_0_2064_1100_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Making a stand: The St George Illawarra forward pack have been on song to start 2021. Pictures: ACM
This is the unheralded forward pack that has propelled the St George Illawarra Dragons into the top four after five rounds.

Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims, Tyrell Fuimaono, Blake Lawrie, Josh Kerr, Daniel Alvaro, Andrew McCullough and Trent Merrin have all had something to prove this year. And they are doing: together as one.

No superstars, no ego. Just simple hard work and dedication.

The Red V rolled into Bankwest Stadium on Sunday night on the back of three straight wins and facing one of the best forwards packs in the competition on their home turf.

They left with the win, a unanimous victory over the blue and golds middle and most importantly respect.

Coach Anthony Griffin has instilled a hard edge into the defence that hasn't been sighted in recent times. For all the Matt Dufty, Jack Bird and Zac Lomax brilliance with ball in hand it starts without the ball.

The Dragons' edges were superb in defence as they regularly shut down the Eels, while their attack was nice and direct with Adam Clune in the No.7 jersey.

Favourites for the wooden spoon before the season began, the Dragons are now surprise members of the top four after a 4-1 start to the season.

"I don't think we're doing anything special. We're doing what we need to do if we want to be a good football side," Griffin said.

"That's probably been just a feature of the last couple of weeks. We work really hard on our defence...You have to get the basics right defensively and we did that for long periods."

Next up is a textbook danger game against the Warriors at home on Sunday. It could be easy for the Dragons to look ahead to the blockbuster Anzac Day clash with the Roosters and forget about a Roger Tuivasa-Sheck-led team who will be filthy on letting a lead slip against Manly last week.

The clash of the No.1s looms as a showcase factor to a game in which both teams will have similar game plans: high completion rates and stick to the basics.

One thing you can count on, is the Dragons front six will be up for the fight.

• Dragons v Warriors, Sunday , April 18, Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, 2pm.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/7204624/together-as-one/

getsmarty

Immortal
Eels half Brown facing NRL ban for crusher
Ed JacksonAAP
Mon, 12 April 2021 12:15PM
fb25b4ddd813ca72cd10f810e2a7eb7fc4b8d228-16x9-x0y75w800h450.jpg

Parramatta's Dylan Brown is facing a suspension from the NRL for a crusher tackle. Credit: AAP
Parramatta five-eighth Dylan Brown could miss Saturday's NRL clash with Canberra after being charged by the NRL judiciary for a crusher tackle.

Brown will cop a one-game ban with an early plea after being charged with a grade one offence on St George Illawarra lock Tyrell Fuimaono for an incident in the first half of the Eels' 26-12 loss to the Dragons.

The 20-year-old Brown will miss two matches if he challenges the charge and loses.

Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson is facing a fine after being charged with a grade one careless high tackle on Adam Clune late in Sunday's match at Bankwest Stadium.

Brown is not the only player facing a ban for a crusher tackle over the weekend with Sydney Roosters hooker Ben Marschke charged with the same offence on Cronulla winger Mawene Hiroti.

Marschke will be suspended for one game and miss Friday's clash with Melbourne if he takes an early guilty plea.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-league/eels-half-brown-facing-nrl-ban-for-crusher-c-2573138

possm

Coach
Something I don't think I've seen observed here yet, but I believe the 6 against being so against us is no mistake. We are gaming the 6 again rule to reset our line rather often and the referees are starting to realise this (hence the Tariq bin)

No complaints from me, for once we are the team taking advantage of new rules instead of being at the other end of it. Comes with a. Decent coaching staff who know how to teach players to walk that line as finely as possible (it's what Cam Smith did so well all his career)
I do not agree. Awarding a 'six again' does not pause the game at all and does not allow the Dragons to re-set their defensive line.

We have copped a real razzing with this 'six again' rule mainly for slowing down the ruck. I have noticed us doing any different to other sides. There must be mort to this and so, I'd love our CEO to sit down with the powers to be and have some strong discussions about it.

The NRL needs to understand that we will not be bullied. While I am at it, I am tired of our history being reported as beginning in the 1990s and that we are a joint venture club. This is untrue and must stop. The truth is that:

• The St George Club is the only rugby leagues club that holds the NRL licence and that we have an investor partner called WIN Corp. (not Illawarra Rugby Leagues Club).
  • The St George Illawarra name only signifies the districts we represent. (just listen to the team song).
  • St George has a long proud history in we won 11 grand finals in succession; a feat that no other rugby league club has matched and probably will never match. It is time we made this clear to the NRL and the Media. I say give all a warning that our club will sue for any mis-representation of this fact.

redv13

Bench
I do not agree. Awarding a 'six again' does not pause the game at all and does not allow the Dragons to re-set their defensive line.

We have copped a real razzing with this 'six again' rule mainly for slowing down the ruck. I have noticed us doing any different to other sides. There must be mort to this and so, I'd love our CEO to sit down with the powers to be and have some strong discussions about it.

The NRL needs to understand that we will not be bullied. While I am at it, I am tired of our history being reported as beginning in the 1990s and that we are a joint venture club. This is untrue and must stop. The truth is that:

• The St George Club is the only rugby leagues club that holds the NRL licence and that we have an investor partner called WIN Corp. (not Illawarra Rugby Leagues Club).
  • The St George Illawarra name only signifies the districts we represent. (just listen to the team song).
  • St George has a long proud history in we won 11 grand finals in succession; a feat that no other rugby league club has matched and probably will never match. It is time we made this clear to the NRL and the Media. I say give all a warning that our club will sue for any mis-representation of this fact.
Cmon possm let’s leave it alone and enjoy 2021. We are 4th!! Let’s keep smiling and go along with the ride

Gareth67

First Grade
Where in the forward pack will we play: McGuire and Jack De Belin?

In my opinion, McGuire to lock and De Belin to start on the bench. By the time De Belin is available, we should have had a good look at McGuire and make decisions accordingly.

Vaughan
McCullough
Laurie
Sims

Kerr
McGuire

Alvaro
Faamausili / Ellis / new prop
De Belin
Fuimaono / Burns

Offer JDB to the rorters in exchange for that two-bit Crichton !

However it is so good to see that - as Griffin said earlier in the season “ nobody is safe “ , that has everyone playing out of their skins which is the way the good footy teams do their job on a weekly basis .

Tremendous to see the ripe fruit is being plucked at the correct time - no wastage involved any longer . Plus the young saplings in the lower grades will still have their opportunity to shine in the sun , whether that be through injury or rep duties to the top grade players .

Gareth67

First Grade
Just watched the game and wow what a great effort from the boys. They took it up another notch from last week in defence and lowered the mistakes. Also our combinations are coming along nicely.
Vaughan is killing it so far and is close to best on park each week. All the forwards are punching above their weight but I'm really impressed with Fuimaono's effort and also Kerr who's becoming our quiet achiever. Norman's kicking game is invaluable getting us upfield, his defence too has improved but I'd like to see him run a bit more. Our backs are outstanding and Rava is close to the best winger in the comp.

There is room for improvement, our discipline and errors are poor and McCullough should leave the kicking to the professionals but all that means is that we can get better with a bit more effort and challenge the top teams, I don't think anyone will be taking us lightly any more that's for sure.

I'd like Hook to ask the refs boss why we're being targeted and what we can do about it because I saw plenty of opportunities for the ref to give us restarts or penalties not least of which were 3 tackles on Clune when he kicked, 2 he was tackled in the air and another the tackler went for the leg - there was also the Gutherson shoulder charge and even though there wasn't much in it we didn't get a penalty for that either.

All round though, happy days.

Well said Kit , just on Gutherson’s hit on Clune that was totally uncalled for and as you have pointed out the refs did S.F.All about it .

The poor bloke was having one of his best games for the Dragons and at the very least deserved the referee to do his job by penalizing the culprits who took out their frustrations on the little bloke .

Until they - the refs begin to treat the lesser lights of the competition on an equal basis , as they do with the top ranking teams , then we will continue to get wrong end of the stick - unfortunately .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Im sure its mentioned during the game, but how fricken hard does Lomax hit.

Keep talking about his aerial ability and goal kicking, but defence is Copper-esq.
That was by far his best game for us so far defensively. If he keeps this up he could easily become the best defensive centre in the comp. None of our centres have had a lot of clean ball to see what they can do yet and Ramsey is yet to really be on the end of any nice movements to see what he can do but defensively has held his own. As we develop I'm sure we will see plenty of slick attack from Lomax, Ramsey and Bird to go with their solid defence. Rava has started the season on fire in both aspects.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
My 3,2,1
3.Vaughan, was our best forward and that is what laid the platform
2.Dufty, was our creative spark. Easily top 2-3 ball playing fullbacks, maybe even number 1.
1.Lomax, rock solid in defence, his best effort yet, flawless goal kicking and starting to bend the line with his strength which is a good sign going forward and another string to his bow.

blacksafake

First Grade
When Dufty scored the penalty try, I heard the ref say to Gutho it was a awarded and the player committed a professional foul. The ref's words. Isn't that a sin bin? Why was Brown still allowed on the field? Am I missing something?
They only get binned if it’s not a penalty try.
If for instance there is a defensive player close to the ball it’s normally no try but a professional foul, then the bin is used.

Gareth67

First Grade
I have not watched the full game , only the highlights reel , but that penalty try must had sent the Parramatta heathen into a frenzy . :relaxed: