What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Rabbit57

Juniors
There was talk last year that Caleb Clarke was looking at RL with Souths. Any chance that this could happen after the current union international series?

Rabbits20

Immortal

Wayne Bennett on unleashing Latrell Mitchell, Josh Schuster lifeline and Cody Walker extension​

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett took the Rabbitohs to task in his first meeting back at the club. Now, in an exclusive interview, the super coach has revealed his plans for Latrell Mitchell and why he signed Josh Schuster.

NRL: Paul Crawley has teed off on South Sydney stating that "they need a kick up the ass" from Wayne Bennett on NRL 360.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
follow
Wayne Bennett says he wants to sign Cody Walker to a new deal and has outlined plans to unleash Latrell Mitchell as Souths bosses backed the super coach to lead a Rabbitohs revival next season.
Buoyed by his visit to Souths’ $25 million headquarters, Bennett declared he would be an “idiot” to change Mitchell’s playing style and is adamant he can save the career of Manly reject Josh Schuster.
Bennett will formally start at Redfern on November 1 and he laid down a cultural marker when headdressed three groups of employees - including the NRL squad - in separate meetings at Maroubra last Wednesday.
Bennett has unfinished business at South Sydney. His final game in his first stint at the club was Souths’ 2021 grand final loss to Penrith and Bennett returns to Redfern determined to deliver the Rabbitohs’ 22nd title and break his personal 15-year premiership coaching drought.
The Rabbitohs were a club in crisis after sacking Jason Demetriou in May and Souths co-owner Russell Crowe is banking on Bennett’s second coming to reconstruct the Pride of the League as a title force in 2025.
“There was a tremendous vibe in the building having Wayne Bennett back,” Souths CEO Blake Solly said.

WALKER’S ON

Souths have no recognised halfback next season. Englishman Lewis Dodd arrives from St Helens as an unknown quantity and that puts pressure on ageing playmaker Cody Walker to step up as the main man.
Traditionally a five-eighth, Walker was moved to halfback and played 10 games in the No.7 jumper, a positional shift that couldn’t stop the Rabbitohs finishing second last this season.
Walker turns 35 in January and is off-contract next season, but Bennett is adamant about two things. One, Walker isn’t a spent force in the NRL. And, two, the 212-game champion will be playing second receiver in 2025, with Jack Wighton set for a return to the centres.
“Cody will be playing six,” Bennett said.

Wayne Bennett (R) believes Cody Walker’s career is far from over. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
“He played a bit of seven this year but he had to play there to help them out.
“He did a good job at halfback, but I think he’s a better five-eighth.”
Walker didn’t make his NRL debut until age 26 and Bennett believes his late-blooming career can see the former NSW Origin pivot emulate Cam Smith by playing beyond his 37th birthday.
Bennett is keen to sign the Indigenous ace for at least another 12 months in 2026.
“Cody plays to a very high standard so I don’t see any reason why he can’t continue,” Bennett said.
“It won’t continue forever, I know that, but Cameron Smith showed us all you can play NRL at 37 and go well into your 30s.

South Sydney Rabbitohs 2025 player movements​

“If Cody is enjoying it, it doesn’t have to be his last year.

“Cliff Lyons (Manly legend who retired from the NRL just shy of his 38th birthday) was a wonderful player and it wouldn’t surprise me if he was still playing.
“There are more 300-game players than ever, guys are playing much later in their careers because of the training and the high-performance programs.
“Cody hasn’t had a lot of injuries in his career, so his body is in pretty good shape.
“He is a great professional so I don’t think next year will be his last year.”

FIXING LATRELL

Bennett scoffs at suggestions Latrell Mitchell has too much power at South Sydney. The champion fullback was outstanding under Bennett in Souths’ charge to the 2021 decider and if anyone can get Mitchell firing again next season, it’s the newly-minted Hall of Fame super coach.
Mitchell is under enormous pressure to hit back in 2025 following the white-substance scandal and there has been a push for pocket rocket Jye Gray to unseat Latrell as Souths fullback.
But Bennett is backing Mitchell to fire. He knows what makes the Indigenous role model tick. The seven-time premiership-winner says he won’t be tinkering with Mitchell’s game, nor axing him as fullback. He says the 27-year-old will get Bennett’s full backing to play the Latrell Way.
“I’m not an idiot,” he said.

Wayne Bennett says he’d be an “idiot” to shackle Latrell Mitchell. Picture: AAP Image/Bianca De Marchi
“I won’t be changing Latrell. I will just let him play, that’s what he does best.”
Mitchell played just 11 games this year - the lowest single-season output of his NRL career - and Bennett says he will expect the NSW Origin star to hit the ground running in pre-season.
“Latrell is fine, he doesn’t need surgery,” he said.
“He is all good, so he’ll start pre-season with everyone else.
“I don’t know much about Jye Gray, I haven’t worked with him, so I will see what he’s got and what he doesn’t have, but Latrell will be our fullback.
“I’m looking forward to reuniting with Latrell and all the guys down there.
“It’s a great club.”

SAVING SCHUSTER

Josh Schuster arrives at Redfern with his career at the crossroads. The 23-year-old was a highly-paid flop at Manly and copped brickbats for his weight issues and attitude to training.
Bennett has a history of resurrecting lost souls - he turned Jamie Soward into a premiership winner and State of Origin player at the Dragons - and he is ready to gamble on Schuster.
“I gave him a chance because I knew he has a lot of football ability, simple as that,” he said.
“He wanted to come to Souths and the money’s not ridiculous.
“He just wants a chance and I’ll give it to him. He’s only a young man, so he’s not finished at all.
“I met with him when I was down there last week. I said hello to him. It was a short conversation. I told him I was pleased he made the decision to come to Souths and he looked in great shape and happy.
“He was very well mannered and respectful. That’s the one conversation I’ve had with him.”

Bennett had no issues handing Josh Schuster a rugby league lifeline. Picture: McCawley/Getty Images
The Samoan Test rookie has the skill set to play five-eighth, lock or second row. Bennett says the pre-season will determine which position Schuster plays - or whether he is good enough for Souths’ top 17.
“I haven’t worried about his position too much, that will sort itself out,” he said.
“He is highly skilled and can play a number of positions.
“His manager came to us about a month ago. He has some real talent so I feel I can get something out of him. I don’t know where he plays. He is a big man. He didn’t look unfit, so we’ll see how it goes at training, what I think he can do and can’t do and go from there.
“I’m not doubting his talent. He is going to get an opportunity with Souths.
“My mindset with him is he just needs a second chance. He is a young man. He had time to sit out and got plenty of publicity he wouldn’t have enjoyed so I’m giving him another chance.”

THE CEO

Souths boss Solly enjoys a close working relationship with Bennett. He is adamant the seven-time premiership winner, who turns 75 in January, can make the Rabbitohs an instant finals contender.
When Bennett addressed staff last week, the group left the meetings cheering and stamping their feet. That is the power of Bennett’s aura and ability to sell a message of hope.
“Everyone from the administrative staff to the performance staff were excited to see him,” Solly said.
“After the Dolphins’ season finished, it was the first time Wayne had a chance to tour the facility here at Heffron Park and meet some of the existing staff and new staff.
“Wayne’s great asset is his experience, his wisdom and just the stability he will provide across the club.

“We can’t wait to have him back down and start in earnest in November.”
Asked if Bennett can get the best out of Mitchell, Solly said: “I don’t think it’s about getting the best out of Latrell, he has a track record over a long period of getting the best out of everyone.
“What people don’t see enough of with Wayne is not only him getting the best out of players, but getting the best out of staff and an organisation as well.
“Wayne had three separate meetings. He had a meeting with the playing group, the coaching-and-performance staff and the admin staff.
“I wasn’t in the players meeting so I’m not sure what he said.
“The finals are a realistic target. We had a lot of challenges this year, injuries specifically.
“But if we can keep our best players on the field with Wayne back, the finals are absolutely achieveable.”

source Daily Telegraph

Rabbits20

Immortal

South Sydney halfback Lachlan Ilias offered positional switch under new coach Wayne Bennett​

Lachlan Ilias was deemed surplus to requirements at South Sydney and headed for the exit door, but new coach Wayne Bennett has arrived with a new career plan for the young star.
Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

2 min read
September 20, 2024 - 5:00AM
1 comments

Foxsports00:22

Schuster signs 1-year deal with Souths​

NRL: Wayne Bennett has thrown Josh Schuster a career lifeline, signing the 23-year-old to South Sydney on a one year contract in 2025.

NRL

Don't miss out on the headlines from NRL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
follow
Incoming South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has told halfback Lachlan Ilias that he wants him at the club next season, but he could be in line for a positional change.
Ilias had been granted permission to explore the market in recent months but he now could remain at the Rabbitohs for the final year of his contract.
While Ilias will be given an opportunity to challenge Souths’ new recruit, English half Lewis Dodd, for the starting halfback spot, he is also expected to be given some time at dummy half during the pre-season.

South Sydney’s Lachlan Ilias. Picture: NRL Photos
Damien Cook’s departure to St George Illawarra will test South Sydney’s hooking stocks for next season. Peter Mamouzelos, who is signed until the end of 2027, will be given first crack at the No.9 jersey, but Ilias will compete with new recruit Jamie Humphreys for the back-up dummy half role.

It has been an emotion-charged year for Ilias, who has 53 NRL appearances since making his debut for the Rabbitohs in the final round of the 2021 season.
In August last year, then-coach Jason Demetriou declared Lachlan Ilias was “going to be the best halfback the club has had for a long time” as he was anointed the Rabbitohs’ long-term successor to Adam Reynolds.
He played in South Sydney’s opening two games of this season before he was axed to reserve grade after being made a scapegoat for the team’s winless start to the competition.
Then, in April, Ilias suffered a badly broken leg while playing in NSW Cup, which sidelined him for the remainder of the season and also hampered his ability to find a new club.

Incoming Souths halfback Lewis Dodd. Picture: Jess Hornby/Getty Images
It was expected that Ilias would leave South Sydney, with his agent, Braith Anasta, revealing earlier this year that “there has been a high level of interest from a number of clubs”. However, a move never eventuated.
But the 24-year-old has recovered well from his shocking leg injury, which required a 40cm metal rod to hold together his fractured right tibia bone, and he will join the Rabbitohs when pre-season training resumes.

Dodd, 22, will move to Australia once his commitments with UK Super League side St Helens are complete.
The young No.7 already has more than 70 top-flight appearances under his belt, and is set to be paired alongside Cody Walker in halves.
“Cody will be playing six,” Bennett said.
“He played a bit of seven this year but he had to play there to help them out.
“He did a good job at halfback, but I think he’s a better five-eighth.”
Dodd and Humphreys join the Dolphins’ Euan Aitken and former Manly prodigy Josh Schuster as new recruits for the 2025 season.

source Daily Telegraph

Rabbits20

Immortal

NRL 2024: Wayne Bennett rules out signing Selwyn Cobbo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard at Rabbitohs​

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has ruled out signing Selwyn Cobbo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard after saying he doesn’t have the salary cap freedom. See the breakdown of Rabbitohs contracts and roster movement ahead of 2025.
Peter Badel and Travis Meyn

2 min read
September 20, 2024 - 5:00AM
0 comments

NRL: Wayne Bennett has thrown Josh Schuster a career lifeline, signing the 23-year-old to South Sydney on a one year contract in 2025.

NRL

follow
South Sydney super coach Wayne Bennett has ruled out signing Broncos backline ace Selwyn Cobbo and Eels enforcer Reagan Campbell-Gillard.
Cobbo is set to head to free agency on November 1, while Campbell-Gillard is a free agent after Parramatta confirmed the former NSW Origin prop will not be at the club next season.
Bennett has a high opinion of Cobbo and was previously linked with the Broncos whiz-kid when the super coach was putting together the Dolphins’ inaugural squad for their 2023 season.
South Sydney are proud of their Indigenous links and Cobbo would relish being mentored by stars Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker, but Bennett says he won’t be launching a poaching bid.
“No, not really,” Bennett said when asked if he had interest in Cobbo.
“I think Selwyn is a wonderful player but we have quite a number of players in the backline on good money so it’s a bit hard to bring someone like Selwyn in.

South Sydney won’t make a play for Selwyn Cobbo or Reagan Campbell-Gillard. Picture: Matt Roberts/Getty Images
“We have Jack Wighton, Campbell Graham, Latrell (Mitchell), Cody (Walker), Alex Johnson, Tyrone Munro and Isaiah Tass on our books already.
“Selwyn is a $600,000-$700,000 player.
“There’s no doubt he can play, but we can’t afford that.”
Bennett has a history of getting the best out of Indigenous players. Broncos Indigenous Hall of Fame legend Steve Renouf, who hails from the same Cherbourg-Murgon region as Cobbo, said there was no other coach he wanted to play for.

Bennett also turned former Indigenous playmaker Jamie Soward into a premiership winner and State of Origin player at the Dragons.
There is a view the Broncos are the best fit for Cobbo given his desire to be close to family in Cherbourg, but Bennett has no idea if the Brisbane flyer would handle a move to Sydney.
“I don’t know Selwyn,” he said. “I’ve never met him, so I don’t know if the Broncos are the right fit for him.

South Sydney Rabbitohs 2025 player movements​

Ins

Big name outs

Released

“It’s not my problem to worry about.”
Campbell-Gillard has been linked to the Rabbitohs after severing ties with the Eels for next season. The 31-year-old was expected to sign with the Dragons, but that move has fallen through after coach Shane Flanagan went cold on the transfer.
South Sydney desperately need some big men up front but Bennett says he won’t be making an offer for RCG.
“If I’m going to buy someone, I’m looking at the forwards, but he (Campbell-Gillard) isn’t an option,” he said.
“Again he’s on too much money.
“I have a team at Souths that is well established.
“In time I might have more freedom with the salary cap but I don’t have that freedom now.
“We won’t be signing him.”

source Daily Telegraph

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I love how Uncle Benny answers the media's questions:

Media: "Selwyn Cobbo is off contract, he will be attracting a lot of interest, would he be someone you'd be interested in?"
Bennett: "Nah, not really "

Classic.
Never let anyone know what cards you are holding, until you are ready to push all your chips in.

I still think Pangai is a chance, once we clear some cap space, and some of these dud contracts drop off the books. He's only signed for a year over in England, we shall see....

Steenson123

Juniors
The one key comment from Burt was :
"Its a great club".
This one response gives me confidence to state two things:
1. The club will definetly be a playoff side next season;
2. Burt will do everything he can to win a title here. He knows the club has some elite players that need their tyres pumped up and that several younger players could become special, such as Gray, Moale and Munro. Moale in particular has flashed pieces here and there but I believe he will become a demon player under Burt. He has the youth and physical strength, now he has a legend coach to make him reach higher standards. Moale needs to be developed further, we do not need veteran lugs like RCG.
The forgotten man in the club is Campbell Graham. His successful return will provide an enormous lift, such is his ability and leadership. Both media and opponents alike have forgotten just how much the squad misses this man. I know Burt loves him, and so do I. Graham is simply a special lad.

handyman2190

Bench
I love how Uncle Benny answers the media's questions:

Media: "Selwyn Cobbo is off contract, he will be attracting a lot of interest, would he be someone you'd be interested in?"
Bennett: "Nah, not really "

Classic.
Never let anyone know what cards you are holding, until you are ready to push all your chips in.

I still think Pangai is a chance, once we clear some cap space, and some of these dud contracts drop off the books. He's only signed for a year over in England, we shall see....
Pengai may come after his year in UK, but if we dont get 1 or 2 props for next season we will be bullied, i cant believe bennett hasnt got anything lined up

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Pengai may come after his year in UK, but if we dont get 1 or 2 props for next season we will be bullied, i cant believe bennett hasnt got anything lined up
The problems are cap space, and available players.
It's just too short notice to make a big move, anyone to come in is likely to be very cheap, and not a big name or regular starter with another team.
Planning for 2026 will be the big go. I think Bennett believes the current squad should be good enough to challenge for the title in 2025. And barring injuries to key players, like this season, he is probably right.

handyman2190

Bench
It's just too short notice to make a big move, anyone to come in is likely to be very cheap, and not a big name or regular starter with another team.
Planning for 2026 will be the big go. I think Bennett believes the current squad should be good enough to challenge for the title in 2025. And barring injuries to key players, like this season, he is probably right.
That being the case we should try and poach a reserve grader

speedster

Juniors
Cap space issues are regarding this point in time. As we all know, players currently under contract get released quite often if they can find something new and all of a sudden, there's cap space. But until that occurs, they have to tell you what the current level of cap space is and keep everything else confidential.

If we could swap out Host for Addo-Carr, I would be very happy as our prospects for 2025 would have gone up considerably. While I'm not holding my breath for it, I'm not absolutely ruling it out either.

handyman2190

Bench
Cap space issues are regarding this point in time. As we all know, players currently under contract get released quite often if they can find something new and all of a sudden, there's cap space. But until that occurs, they have to tell you what the current level of cap space is and keep everything else confidential.

If we could swap out Host for Addo-Carr, I would be very happy as our prospects for 2025 would have gone up considerably. While I'm not holding my breath for it, I'm not absolutely ruling it out either.
Host is a dead loss, not 1 team would want him,he has 1 year left and he wont budge,and he is on a reported 350k , i bet the only gig he gets after his contract finishes is in UK

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

I don't think Bennett wants JAC.
If you remember, before JAC signed with the Bulldogs, he was absolutely begging for Souths to sign him, even willing to go for reduced money, and to abandon his aspirations of being a fullback.
Bennett said no.
I doubt that will change now.

speedster

Juniors
I don't think Bennett wants JAC.
If you remember, before JAC signed with the Bulldogs, he was absolutely begging for Souths to sign him, even willing to go for reduced money, and to abandon his aspirations of being a fullback.
Bennett said no.
I doubt that will change now.
I think that was more to do with cap space at the time because he wasn't going to be that cheap but also squad management as in, Wayne had other positions in mind that were more of a priority. He knows JAC is still a rep quality winger but at this point in time, he could actually be picked up on the real cheap once he gets the axe at the Dogs plus we are thin on the wings although, on the down side, JAC will start next season with a suspension.

Anyhow, it's a long shot, I know.

speedster

Juniors
I think we are better off with a cheap deal for Corey Oates rather than another mate of Trell with the same hobbies. Both are 29.
Oates was absolutely dreadful this season for Brisbane. No thanks to him from me. As for worrying over behavioural issues with JAC coupled with Latrell, I'll say 2 things to alleviate those worries: 1) Wayne and 2) they'd both be on strict conditions in their contracts that give them no more "strikes".

I reckon they would love to win a comp together and Wayne would get everyone singing from the correct hymn sheet and have their minds totally on the job.