What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
When is the NRL gonna release a new cap? This is an absolute joke for clubs trying to get players in before pre season. All the clubs have agreed to a figure plus we already know there's some teams that play on a different cap so just release the thing.

I don't think Souths are gonna make a big play for anyone until they know the figure as well...

callmack1

Staff member
When is the NRL gonna release a new cap? This is an absolute joke for clubs trying to get players in before pre season. All the clubs have agreed to a figure plus we already know there's some teams that play on a different cap so just release the thing.

I don't think Souths are gonna make a big play for anyone until they know the figure as well...
Great post.

This whole scenario as a load of BS!

Bunnies_Pride

Juniors
Isn't Dane Gagai the last of the players Bennett put on a big contract for a smash and grab attempt at a title?

Bennett knew he wasn't going to be at the knight's long, he also knew his legacy/ego would take a big hit if he wasn't successful. So he signed a whole bunch of old dudes up at the expense of younger talent, and tried to keep every average player he had ( the gagai's, mullens, rochows etc) he could to help those old darts by putting them on huge contracts. It was a short term approach that has nearly ruined the club. I see a lot of talk about 'why do we still have this dud or that dud' but the alternative to signing low cost/less talented players is what Newcastle done. And when the old established players Retire or leave it creates what newcastle have now.
Gagai, Uate, the sims bros, rochow aren't bad players, but their huge overpaid contracts had a draining effect on the knight's and they had to go to help a rebuild. Newcastle had to completey builldoze their roster to rebuild. Gagai was the last link to the bennett era.

As for whether we over paid for gagai, or his bad defence, i don't see a problem with either.
For years, since Walker left, with lacked a strike player out wide. With no danger out wide teams can quite quickly shut down or few danger players, walker or when his fit Inglis. Players can double team GI knowing that if they pass out to Goodwin, gray or Hunt that they can easily cover for them. They won't with gagai because you cant give gagai a sliver of a chance. So that should take pressure of GI and walker and give them more room. Gagai might not be worth 600k to everyone, but his exactly what we need.

As for his defence, it's no worse then walker or Goodwin. We already know how to cover for defensively weak centres. Goodwin is the king of Watching opposing attacks go straight past him like people accuse gagai off. Gagai defense won't be a problem for us. Well it'll be a problem obviously, but nothing we don't have experience with

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Isn't Dane Gagai the last of the players Bennett put on a big contract for a smash and grab attempt at a title?

Bennett knew he wasn't going to be at the knight's long, he also knew his legacy/ego would take a big hit if he wasn't successful. So he signed a whole bunch of old dudes up at the expense of younger talent, and tried to keep every average player he had ( the gagai's, mullens, rochows etc) he could to help those old darts by putting them on huge contracts. It was a short term approach that has nearly ruined the club. I see a lot of talk about 'why do we still have this dud or that dud' but the alternative to signing low cost/less talented players is what Newcastle done. And when the old established players Retire or leave it creates what newcastle have now.
Gagai, Uate, the sims bros, rochow aren't bad players, but their huge overpaid contracts had a draining effect on the knight's and they had to go to help a rebuild. Newcastle had to completey builldoze their roster to rebuild. Gagai was the last link to the bennett era.

As for whether we over paid for gagai, or his bad defence, i don't see a problem with either.
For years, since Walker left, with lacked a strike player out wide. With no danger out wide teams can quite quickly shut down or few danger players, walker or when his fit Inglis. Players can double team GI knowing that if they pass out to Goodwin, gray or Hunt that they can easily cover for them. They won't with gagai because you cant give gagai a sliver of a chance. So that should take pressure of GI and walker and give them more room. Gagai might not be worth 600k to everyone, but his exactly what we need.

As for his defence, it's no worse then walker or Goodwin. We already know how to cover for defensively weak centres. Goodwin is the king of Watching opposing attacks go straight past him like people accuse gagai off. Gagai defense won't be a problem for us. Well it'll be a problem obviously, but nothing we don't have experience with

The only good defensive centre we have had since auva'a is definitely hunt. I'd say grays defence is even better than goodwin's!

Gagai will make massive metres from the back which will really help our squad next year as well.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't know if we will but Souths need to turn their attention towards jack de belin when he comes off contract next year. One of the best locks in the game. I'd much rather throw the twins cash at him.
Can't see him leaving the Merge.

In other news the Broncs are keeping Ofehengaue......

Rabbits20

Immortal

I disagree on Goodwin.

He saves our bacon a lot. He saved 2 tries once again the other day.... FACT.......

Souths til I die I believe Goodwin is the stronger defensively out of the two....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I disagree on Goodwin.

He saves our bacon a lot. He saved 2 tries once again the other day.... FACT.......

Souths til I die I believe Goodwin is the stronger defensively out of the two....

Thats definitely debatable. Goodwin does do a lot of hard yards through running 100+ metres but he is not a top class NRL centre.

His defence has always been an issue. By that I mean his bad timing when rushing in or being a passenger. Gagai has this same problem but his running game is as good as Walker's, actually probably even better.

Goodwin's running game is probably his greatest asset and his speed really let's him down in that regard. Goodwin is a good, average NRL player but could never be compared to the likes of Gagai, Walker, Chambers and Croker!

Out of Goodwin and gray though I'd rather keep Goodwin but only on a 1 year offer. Last time gray showed signs of greatness was last year. Since then he has been a real let down. Sharks might give him that boost he needs! I'm glad we retained hunt out of both of them. He is cheap, reliable and has great defence. Hopefully he can overcome his horrible injury luck though. Otherwise Goodwin would of been the better keep.

Travitoh

First Grade
Jack Walker has rejected a professional deal at Leeds. Only 17 but is an absolute talent! We could do a lot worse

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I don't.

He's much better than those 3, FACT.......

Well it's not actually a fact... If Goodwin was only offered a 1 year deal by us and not offered a deal by any other NRL club it kind of proves that his no better than the average NRL centre?

You're blinded by your love for the guy. Which I can understand as Damien Cook is one of my favourite players..