What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Travitoh

First Grade
Dave Tyrrell seems to be an easy target for fans who need someone to attack but the truth is that he is a low earning premiership winner who always put in when required and despite his short comings after his major knee problems, still found a way in to the team at times and gave all he had for the emblem on his chest.
I don't disagree that his time was up but whenever he played first grade, he was rarely our worst performer.

Travitoh

First Grade
Corey Oates? Not unless he's at good value. The guy has terrible hands and lacks heart for a big guy. Often seen him spend 80 minutes out on the touchline instead of coming inside looking for a hit up against a tiring defence.

Travitoh

First Grade
Watching Tom's handling errors in the World Cup Final left me with little confidence in the twins for the 2018 season ahead. :(

Agreed. He cost them two really good opportunities to score what could very well have won England a World Cup.

Veracity

Juniors
The fans have eyes and are knowledgeable that's why the twins get bagged and take up a large portion of our cap!

The fans need to realise that the twins are still only mid twenties & have an amazing amount of experience & their best should still be to come, they’ve been bashed pillar to post for a few years now, people need to look around & realise how lucky we are & realise they are worth whatever they’re being payed & understand that there is an amazing about of upside now & that it’s pretty much 7 years of upside, be patient

NaiveNumbskull

Juniors
Front rowers don't hit their peak until their late 20s (at the earliest).

I would suggest anyone, fans and recruitment/retention who thought a pair of 23/24 year olds would be able to consistently lead an NRL forward pack were very misguided.

Our recruiters messed up by thinking guys like Jason Clark (lacking the size/power), Tim Grant and David Tyrrell (who both shit the bed) would provide us with enough experience up front.
Speaking purely about onfield stuff.

I think Clark has done his job. Borderline FG/RG player. Fills the gap, likely on small pay.

Grant I initially had high hopes for and thought he seemed legitimately psyched to be at Souths particularly after being punted to RG at panthers. The problem I had with him was that he was (reportedly) on higher pay and that he did not perform to that level. If he was a minimum coin forward I woulda been happy with him being here. However he was not.

Tyrrell. Ohhh man dont get me started on Tyrrell. Constantly derided by many forum members and fans. For me he did the job asked of him brilliantly up to 2014 though his knees stuffed him after that and his performance declined further and further after time and led him towards the RG level rather than FG. However he woulda been playing for pocket change and wouldve still been a decent stop gap until the other depth forwards developed. I think a lot of people can't understand the Tyrrell type player roles. I hope he got a decent payout from Souths for how f**ked over his body's become during his service.

southsport

First Grade
The fans need to realise that the twins are still only mid twenties & have an amazing amount of experience & their best should still be to come, they’ve been bashed pillar to post for a few years now, people need to look around & realise how lucky we are & realise they are worth whatever they’re being payed & understand that there is an amazing about of upside now & that it’s pretty much 7 years of upside, be patient

We should talk about this in 12 months time after we've viewed their performances in the season that is to come.

Veracity

Juniors
Front rowers don't hit their peak until their late 20s (at the earliest).

I would suggest anyone, fans and recruitment/retention who thought a pair of 23/24 year olds would be able to consistently lead an NRL forward pack were very misguided.

Our recruiters messed up by thinking guys like Jason Clark (lacking the size/power), Tim Grant and David Tyrrell (who both shit the bed) would provide us with enough experience up front.

Jason Clarke still provides us with some value, he’s intelligent, can play a few positions & always gives his all, he seems to be resigned to the fact he’s not always going to play first grade but is comfortable with that, a very good leader, very good mentor

Tyrrel won a comp, was an excellent player, started on the wing, mastered front row, amazing, he obviously got bashed to a fair degree, we should be grateful for his service, he’s moved on but should forever be a grand final winning legend of our club

NaiveNumbskull

Juniors
Dave Tyrrell seems to be an easy target for fans who need someone to attack but the truth is that he is a low earning premiership winner who always put in when required and despite his short comings after his major knee problems, still found a way in to the team at times and gave all he had for the emblem on his chest.
I don't disagree that his time was up but whenever he played first grade, he was rarely our worst performer.
Yes. Easy target.

I dont yet understand what it is with Souths fans that every season they need an easy target or scapegoat to vent their frustrations to.

I believe it'd be the same for every club but i wonder if its just a smaller example of peoples behaviour (regardless of whether they follow a team) worldwide? Some kinda need to simplify their life to make things more "understandable" or reinforce their illusion of control in their life and how they fit into society at all levels from all the way of overall society to close friends/family.

Anyways....oops gettin a tad un-footy forum there.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
He averaged about 7 hit ups and 50m a game going back to 2014.

Made the least post contact metres in the comp and let in the most of any forward I've ever seen.

I'm not questioning his effort, I liked him as a winger, but his performances at prop (after he got compartment syndrome and had severe knee injuries) weren't up to standard. Not even close.

Last edited:

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Jason Clarke still provides us with some value, he’s intelligent, can play a few positions & always gives his all, he seems to be resigned to the fact he’s not always going to play first grade but is comfortable with that, a very good leader, very good mentor
I like Clarky as a second rower.

Good leg speed, good ball skills and enough strength to play a role on the fringe of the ruck.

In the middle third, lacks a bit of power.

He's someone I'd always keep at the club, just not as a prop.

NaiveNumbskull

Juniors
He averaged about 7 hit ups and 50m a game going back to 2014.

Made the least post contact metres in the comp and let in the most of any forward I've ever seen.

I'm not questioning his effort, I liked him as a winger, but his performances at prop (after he got compartment syndrome and had severe knee injuries) weren't up to standard. Not even close.
I dont think a player can be purely based on stats or "perceived" stats.

I agree with a lot of what you said but i think an emphasis gets put on the following as they are more "obvious" particularly more simplified for forwards but more so props.

Attack: people seem to focus on do they "bend the line" or are agro or interpertated as an enforcer type stuff.

Defence: people seem to focus on bell-ringers or whether they smash the attacker into gut-rending pain.

I think these are important and are often some hallmarks of the top forwards (but then they may lack certain basics). However i think that there's a lot more simpler stuff involved. Im still trying to figure out what they all are but some examples are that they just seem to tidy things up with no fuss or a kinda "settler" and that doesnt stand out. It doesnt mean they can save the entire game or team but they can hopefully level out things so the more "talented" players can take things to the next level.

The train of thought of appreciating the "effort" but then focusing on the other talents that they are lesser at as a player comes up often. I have to wonder what it'd be like having a "Tyrrell" player in your team. They just seem to keep consistently doing their job.

That said a Tyrrell type player can only exist when they are at their peak. Once they start declining its different to the big stars.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Good leg speed, good ball skills and enough strength to play a role on the fringe of the ruck.

Clark in the second row wow you are kidding yourself..... I've nearly fallen off the lounge:):) what a good laugh I'm getting........

Fair dinkum there is some tripe being spoken in this thread lately.......

All the Christmas beers have gotten to people' heads @southsport don't you reckon mate.....

The bloke is nowhere near fast enough to be able to play on the edge....... maybe say 6-7 years ago but times have changed now and the game is much quicker.......

Toad has a go at our opinions but his ideas well geez..................

NaiveNumbskull

Juniors

Often hear the opinions of where he's best suited to. I honestly have no idea as to whats the answer but i lean more towards lock or prop rather than 2nd row.

As prop he can just provide the simple function of hitup and tackle in an intense period of play.

At lock he can cover a bit more in defence and tidy things up nicely but i dont see a benefit in attack.

Not a record-breaker in either role but he can plug the gaps if needed.

For me i picture a 2nd rower needing a bit more pizazz in attack like footwork or line angle running plus ballplaying skills (admittedly he has an ok offload in him). Plus in defence he may be more vulnerable against more mobile opposition players.

Another weakness of his is that he does have the ability to come up with some simple errors often at crucial times.