What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think in WB we have a different beast. A coach that doesn’t judge indiscretion. He sees the players as men and footballers, and actually tries to make them better rather than make them someone else’s problem. He’s helped Lodge, he’s helped Jimmy the jet, he’s helped a young wild Sam Thaiday, the list goes on. I’m hoping the age of the no dickhead policy is over.

Since when have Souths had a no dickhead policy? Half of your 2014 side had beat up their Mrs!!

Edit...allegedly

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

George and Tom Burgess reveal Super League, rugby union ambitions

South Sydney face an uphill battle to keep the Burgess family united at Redfern, with twins George and Tom declaring their interest in returning home to the Super League.

The bulldozing forwards come off-contract at the end of next season, while brother Sam is set to finish his career at the Rabbitohs after signing a multi-million dollar, four-year extension in September.

Links have already been made to Canterbury who could soon enter the market for a replacement for David Klemmer, as South Sydney face salary cap pressure in the midst of negotiations with star hooker Damien Cook.

Tom Burgess admitted trying his hand in the Super League had crossed his mind and he would take consideration once his current deal expired.

“I always like to imagine myself living back in England, at least at some point, and perhaps playing for a Super League club,” he told AAP.

“I’d never say never and like to keep my options open. I have got one more year at Souths.”

Brother George went even further and named a potential destination in Leeds Rhinos - the club he supported as a child - and tossed up rugby union as an interesting prospect.

"I supported Leeds as a kid so they’d be my first look,'' Burgess told BBC Sport.

''Union is definitely something I've thought about. As a forward, it'd be different to Sam's experience.''

Sam Burgess remained hopeful his brothers would recommit to his beloved South Sydney, saying the timing of his contract announcement was in hope of fast-tracking their negotiations.

‘’That would be the greatest thing (to re-sign his brothers) and that’s probably one of the reasons we got it done so we can move onto everyone else,'' Burgess said in September.

‘’Tom and George are playing great football, they love the club just like I do.

‘’I’d love to see them stay as well.’’

The coaching situation at Redfern could have an impact on the future of the twins with Wayne Bennett set to replace Anthony Seibold in 2020, possibly earlier if a swap can be agreed to with Brisbane.

All three Burgess brother currently play under Bennett in the England side and the trio have been in full support of his impending arrival.

Pauly1

Juniors
Cant see that d### h### Seibs in any photos on Souths pre training grab on the SS web site.
Don't let him near the place, piss the grub off.

callmack1

Staff member
Bennett will be coaching Souths in 2019 Full stop
They are just trying to work out all the financial settlements.
Boy, oh boy, I hope you're right!! Either way, our Pre-Season has already been disrupted which is going to make it just that little bit harder.

callmack1

Staff member
NRL to keep interchange rule at eight per team in 2019: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/16/nrl-to-keep-interchange-rule-at-eight-per-team-in-2019/

I'm kind of glad that the interchange is staying as is for now because imo, six is just not enough in the modern game: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/16...ees-to-stay-out-of-the-game-unless-necessary/

I also just read a headline from the Telegraph (went to pay wall so couldn't read it) that said AJ is set to sit down with Wayne and discuss who Wayne wants to be fullback.

callmack1

Staff member
Wayne Bennett will be at Redfern Monday December 3
Jason Demetriou next week
For what it's worth I've heard the same thing today. Also that Lodge has signed a 4 year deal to stay at the Broncs. Don't know about TPJ!!
Extremely good news guys!!! Where did you hear this? I'm absolutely praying you are bang on the money with this one!! However, why such a long wait for Wayne? December 3rd is another fortnight away, could really disrupt our Pre-Season.

Either way, we should know within the next few days which is exciting.

Extremely good news guys!!! Where did you hear this? I'm absolutely praying you are bang on the money with this one!! However, why such a long wait for Wayne? December 3rd is another fortnight away, could really disrupt our Pre-Season.

Wayne is no spring chicken mate. He just had a long season with the broncos and then England. Let the bloke take a vaca to refresh before he gets stuck into our boys.

ThingFish

Juniors

I think that’s round about when the international players are due back. I’m sure the other guys are getting smashed by trainers atm.

Mixo Joe

Juniors
Anyone know what Cook is doing?
He must be shopping around for a better offer.
The rumours are that he has agreed to a 4 year deal but the NRL won't sign off on it until we shed a player or two!! FMD if it was the rorters or broncos it wouldn't have been a problem!!

handyman2190

Bench
Id rather give 850 to 900 for tevita p jun baily sironen or mcillrick can play hooker.
A cameron smith he isnt id rather lose him and keep 2 others,he isnt worth losing a burgess, like i have said before no run ordinary player,1 trick pony.

Last edited: