What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doyen

Bench
See this is where I disagree, I think more wrestling will coming into the game with teams trying to slow the play the ball even more and more injuries are going to come into play next year.

I think the interchange rule is going to be a terrible call.

The modern day forward will eventually be a more streamlined,faster,tough tackling one who will run rings around the monsters who will run out of steam later in games with less i/changes.

I see the modern day forward being more around the 105 kgs;very mobile in attack & very strong & active in defence. All forwards[including the bench]will be similar types----all 10!!

Ben TEO types!! Like a pack of hungry wolves!!

Last edited:

alien

Referee
Ben Te’o’s NRL return with Broncos blocked by “Israel Folau rule”
Chris GarryThe Courier-Mail

THE “Israel Folau rule” will stop the Broncos from recruiting Ben Te’o.

The same rule that stopped Parramatta signing Folau would likely prevent any NRL club from buying Te’o back from rugby union.

The Broncos have not spoken to Te’o but like most clubs would consider him if he declared interest in resuming his NRL career.

However, the NRL’s notional value rules and the potential extension of Brisbane’s backrow crop means it is highly unlikely the hard-running backrower will end up at Red Hill.

South Sydney are actively trying to secure Te’o while the North Queensland Cowboys have also shown interest.

If Te’o decides to return to the NRL next season, an option he has told friends he is considering, he would only be available in late April.

That means Te’o would be signing a six month contract for 2016, presenting a potential cap nightmare for the NRL and any club that signs him.

The NRL’s notional value rules cruelled the Eels’ attempts to sign Folau for the 2013 season.

It was the first strike from the NRL in their attempts to stop cap manipulation through back ended contracts and third-party heavy deals.

The governing body is already on edge about Te’o’s return.

fd27b5d238c99c0de26f25a5253f18ab

Te'o would be hot property if he decides to return to the NRL.

Te’o, whose girlfriend now lives in Brisbane, is notionally a $400,000 a season signing but he is also not worth that much money for six months or in his first year back from playing for Irish rugby club Leinster.

This could present a dilemma for any NRL club trying to get a reduced deal approved by the NRL’s cap auditors.

The Cowboys were in talks to securing Te’o for the back half of this year but the NRL did not want to register a six month contract that would have allowed Te’o to return to Irish rugby.

The NRL once blocked Benji Marshall’s attempts to play Japanese rugby in the NRL off season because they don’t want their competition to be a halfway house.

The Broncos declined to comment on the Te’o situation but privately believe they are little chance of securing him.

Te’o played for Brisbane from 2009 to 2012 before signing with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and then starring in their premiership season of 2014.

Te’o is rugged defender and hard-line runner who possesses a deft off-load.

He has played well for Leinster but has told friends he is finding the lack of involvement in rugby union frustrating.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...srael-folau-rule/story-fnp0lyn3-1227569343229

doyen

Bench
Ben Te?o?s NRL return with Broncos blocked by ?Israel Folau rule?
Chris GarryThe Courier-Mail

THE ?Israel Folau rule? will stop the Broncos from recruiting Ben Te?o.

The same rule that stopped Parramatta signing Folau would likely prevent any NRL club from buying Te?o back from rugby union.

The Broncos have not spoken to Te?o but like most clubs would consider him if he declared interest in resuming his NRL career.

However, the NRL?s notional value rules and the potential extension of Brisbane?s backrow crop means it is highly unlikely the hard-running backrower will end up at Red Hill.

South Sydney are actively trying to secure Te?o while the North Queensland Cowboys have also shown interest.

If Te?o decides to return to the NRL next season, an option he has told friends he is considering, he would only be available in late April.

That means Te?o would be signing a six month contract for 2016, presenting a potential cap nightmare for the NRL and any club that signs him.

The NRL?s notional value rules cruelled the Eels? attempts to sign Folau for the 2013 season.

It was the first strike from the NRL in their attempts to stop cap manipulation through back ended contracts and third-party heavy deals.

The governing body is already on edge about Te?o?s return.

fd27b5d238c99c0de26f25a5253f18ab

Te'o would be hot property if he decides to return to the NRL.

Te?o, whose girlfriend now lives in Brisbane, is notionally a $400,000 a season signing but he is also not worth that much money for six months or in his first year back from playing for Irish rugby club Leinster.

This could present a dilemma for any NRL club trying to get a reduced deal approved by the NRL?s cap auditors.

The Cowboys were in talks to securing Te?o for the back half of this year but the NRL did not want to register a six month contract that would have allowed Te?o to return to Irish rugby.

The NRL once blocked Benji Marshall?s attempts to play Japanese rugby in the NRL off season because they don?t want their competition to be a halfway house.

The Broncos declined to comment on the Te?o situation but privately believe they are little chance of securing him.

Te?o played for Brisbane from 2009 to 2012 before signing with the South Sydney Rabbitohs and then starring in their premiership season of 2014.

Te?o is rugged defender and hard-line runner who possesses a deft off-load.

He has played well for Leinster but has told friends he is finding the lack of involvement in rugby union frustrating.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...srael-folau-rule/story-fnp0lyn3-1227569343229

TEO to me is the ideal modern day forward with the new i/chge rule.

Has all the attributes---around 105 kgs which allows him to retain good speed---tough tackling & good with the ball[if allowed].

What do you think of the modern day forward approach??

rabbitohs95

Bench
TEO to me is the ideal modern day forward with the new i/chge rule.

Has all the attributes---around 105 kgs which allows him to retain good speed---tough tackling & good with the ball[if allowed].

What do you think of the modern day forward approach??

Definitely in that mould.

190cm+, 105-110kg, hits hard, runs harder, can go on the edges or middle, can offload.

Sounds an awful lot like Sam Burgess...

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
South Sydney prop Tom Burgess expects his brother Sam to play out the remaining two years of his English rugby union deal before considering a return to the NRL.

Burgess, who has also been linked with a move to Super League side Leeds, was the target of heavy criticism during England's disastrous Rugby World Cup campaign and there has been speculation he was set for another code switch since the hosts crashed out of the tournament after losing to Wales and Australia in pool matches.

The future of the former Rabbitohs superstar was even the subject of an advertising billboard for Irish betting agency Paddy Power in Manchester last Saturday, where the Super League grand final was played at Old Trafford and England met Uruguay at Etihad Stadium in their final match of the World Cup.

The billboard featured a photoshopped picture of Burgess in his English playing kit with his thumb hooked like a hitch-hiker and holding a sign which read: "Old Trafford". Alongside him were the words: "I'm a rugby league player. Get me out of here!".

​But Tom, who is in camp with the England league team ahead of its upcoming Test series against New Zealand, said Sam remained committed to Bath and was determined to ensure his time in rugby union was a success.

"I get asked about a hundred times a day in Australia, especially from South Sydney fans," Tom said. "It is a bit of a talk of the town at the moment about whether Sam's going to come back to league or not but at the moment it's just speculation.

"It's what everyone wants in league but at the end of the day it's his decision and he'll make the decision based on how he's feeling. He's signed up for two more years at Bath so that's it."

Tom, who caught up with Sam before attending the Super League grand final, said his brother was unaffected by the criticism of his selection and performance at centre for England in the World Cup.

"The tournament has been massive and there's been a lot of pressure around that," he told PA. "I think he's handled himself very well. To get in there in the first year of rugby union is pretty outstanding to be honest. I'm proud of him.

"The experiences that he's had this last year have been awesome for him. I don't think he'd change that now. For him to play in a World Cup as a dual international, I don't think he'd regret that."

Bath coach Mike Ford, who played halfback for the now defunct South Queensland Crushers, predicted earlier this week that Burgess would stay in rugby union until after the 2019 World Cup in Japan but England league coach Steve McNamara has no doubt he will return at some stage.

"At some point I am sure he will come back - whether that is six months, 12 months, three years, five years, who knows," McNamara told the BBC. "It is the game he was brought up with."

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sadly the tab sound about right. Of the 8 sides who played finals football we'd have to be in the worst shape of any of them in terms of how we finished our season and our retention and recruitment for next season which seemed to be based entirely on bringing Sam back. Both Manly and the Warriors will make the 8 next year. It's very hard to see us finishing higher than 9th or 10th.

I have us anywhere between 7th-10th at this stage.

We could just make the 8. Keep the faith!!!

Hopefully a good signing or 2 to come, especially a good forward signing.

Rabbits20

Immortal
A lot of people seem to dislike Grant. He's not my favourite player but he isn't on huge money and he's a big body in the middle. Apart from giving away silly penalties (which can be coached out) I don't think he's worth getting rid of given the lack of quality forwards currently available.

If we could get Moa that'd be great, he's rock solid. Agree with you boys that Idris would be a mistake. Nice bloke but too lazy, injury prone and his heart isn't in it.

I think those who dislike Grant would also feel the same way about James if we were to get him. Big boy but lots of penalties and can go missing. Probably prefer to just keep Grant to be honest.

Grant is on $350k a season mate. He was not worth that imo this season. He has disappointed me overall. If he stays with us next season I expect more from him.

Grant misses crucial tackles when we are defending our try line too and sometimes it looks like he's making lazy attempts to stop tries.

Yeah James is similar to Grant. Good point you made there.

Rabbits20

Immortal
i would keep him too. he was a bit inconsistent this year but he is good enough to get a spot on the interchange. madge shouldn't be getting rid of props. he should be adding a top prop like sam burgess to what he already has

Grant has to improve though!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I honestly believe our forwards are being discouraged to pass the ball!!

Just do hitups & kick & tackle!! I call that pathetic.

It MUST change dramatically or Madge is gone!

I think Madge was focussed on minimal risk to have a high completion rate, but that doesn't win you games if you're too predictable like we were.

We have to change definitely. But I wouldn't say dramatically, that takes it a bit too far.

Rabbits20

Immortal
That style of hit up, kick and tackle works when you have the right players in your squad e.g.. 2014.

But losing Sam Burgess, Ben Te'o and now Issac Luke guys who make the metres, doesn't help that type of style of play.

I think your right the style needs to change but you can still have stuff that work for us in our style of play.

Completely agree.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Good players should have a feel for the game as it evolves on the paddock & not just following a robotic plan devised by some coach who has been put on a pedestal.

Madge should be judged on last season alone,2015-----& that was ordinary to say the least.

Ordinary in a stats way; but much worse---it was horrid RL to behold!!

Every commentator you listen to now is questioning coaches who persist with that shit & I agree wholeheartedly!!

You're being too hard on Madge. I can see you don't like the guy.

Our offloads were very very poor but we would have good other stats.

We had a tough year this year but we were targeted too and had lots of injuries/suspensions and off field drama.

You can't just judge Madge on 2015. That's saying who gives a toss about 2014 and all the work Madge has done since he came to Souths.

Madge brought us out of the doldrums and to success. You can't ignore that but it clearly looks like you are!

doyen

Bench
You're being too hard on Madge. I can see you don't like the guy.

Our offloads were very very poor but we would have good other stats.

We had a tough year this year but we were targeted too and had lots of injuries/suspensions and off field drama.

You can't just judge Madge on 2015. That's saying who gives a toss about 2014 and all the work Madge has done since he came to Souths.

Madge brought us out of the doldrums and to success. You can't ignore that but it clearly looks like you are!

Plenty of coaches win p/ships then run out of ideas--then get the bullet!!!

Happens about year 4[often less] in the job--familiarity[& other things]breed contempt.

Madge has a plan[one plan only]that worked for a while--ie. with the right troops!!

We all know,sadly,that RL is just another business;win at all costs--sentimentality is not an option.

Plenty of axed coaches can verify that!!

Any coach can make some stats appear great by being ultra careful & conservative.

But shouldn't we as fans expect to watch RL that is reasonably palatable--I don't get this "as long as we win I don't care what shit I watch".

Last edited:
Damien Cook confirmed via members' email:

Damien Cook Signs For 2016 and 2017 Seasons
Dear Christopher
The South Sydney Rabbitohs have confirmed the signing of Damien Cook for the 2016 and 2017 seasons today.

Cook, 24, burst onto the NRL scene at the back end of the 2015 season with some energetic yet controlled performances out of dummy half in the Bulldogs’ charge to the semi-finals.

A Helensburgh junior, Cook made his first grade debut with the Dragons in 2013 before joining the Bulldogs in 2014.

Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire is pleased to be adding Cook to the Rabbitohs’ roster for 2016.

“We’ve been keeping an eye on Damien for a while now having recognised his talents, particularly out of dummy half,” Coach Maguire said.

“He’s gained great experience from what he’s done this year, he’ll add depth to our squad at dummy half, from talking to him you can see he has a professional approach to the game and his training, and we’re looking forward to having him join the team for pre-season training in November.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts