What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellray

Juniors
So with Masima being let go before he even started, we turn to another ex shark on a train and sign deal in Scott Sorensen. 21yr old 2nd row.

Also Gosiewski from last years NYC is on the same conditions for a 1st grade spot.

Good luck to both

rabbitohs95

Bench
So with Masima being let go before he even started, we turn to another ex shark on a train and sign deal in Scott Sorensen. 21yr old 2nd row.

Also Gosiewski from last years NYC is on the same conditions for a 1st grade spot.

Good luck to both

Considering this has happened i'm fine with it. Although i do believe Masima > Sorensen.

I rate both the players we've signed though, and Gosiewski looks to have a good head on his shoulders. He'll be the 20's player that no one expected to make first grade to play at least a few games. Same thing happened with Reynolds honestly with Sandow there I didn't think he'd play NRL but look where he is now.

Geoff Toovey in heated row with Manly CEO Joe Kelly over potential recruit Tom Burgess

• by: JAMES HOOPER
  • January 18, 2015 12:00AM

MANLY coach Geoff Toovey was involved in a heated row with new Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly on Friday over the proposed recruitment of South Sydney international Tom Burgess.

The Sunday Telegraph has been told some Sea Eagles staff members were cleared out of the club’s Narrabeen offices as Toovey and Kelly engaged in a robust debate about the Rabbitohs forward.
With the Sea Eagles still working overtime to retain star halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans, Toovey was believed to be fuming over Kelly identifying Burgess as a priority target.
The connection between Kelly and Burgess comes from the new Manly CEO’s previous role as South Sydney’s chief financial officer, a position he held from 2007.
Toovey attempted to hose down the ferocity of the debate when contacted, while Kelly confirmed the majority of his conversations as Sea Eagles CEO had been “robust”.
“Everything’s good. He’s doing a good job and we’re working hard to try to sign our off-contract players,” Toovey said.
“We’re a tight-knit group at Manly. We always have discussions about things every day and we finish in agreement.”
Tom Burgess is off contract at the end of the year. Picture: Mark Evans Source: News Corp Australia Since taking over the head coaching role from Des Hasler in 2012, Toovey has guided the Sea Eagles to one grand final and has operated using a recruitment and retention committee for those players off contract.
The committee comprises Toovey, football operations manager Steve Gigg and recruitment scout Dave Warwick, with the Sea Eagles looking to retain a host of stars including Foran, Cherry-Evans, Steve Matai, Matt Ballin and young gun Clint Gutherson.
Tom Burgess is also off-contract, with the Rabbitohs facing a huge assignment trying to retain the ­English forward, gun halves Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary, as well as their rising stars Alex Johnston, Cameron McInnes and Kyle ­Turner.
Kelly reiterated the Sea Eagles’ long-standing policy about refraining from commenting on negotiations with players and stressed any “robust” conversations always finished with the club “finishing on the same page” “The only way to go about running a business is to have robust discussions,” Kelly said.
“Anything that goes on at our club internally, we will always keep it internal but you can rest assured plenty of discussions will often be robust.
“Any recruitment related matters we will always follow club policy which is to refrain from commenting until we’ve finished negotiations and always notify our members first.
“Whatever goes on internally we all finish on the same page and we all move forward together in the best interests of the club.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ruit-tom-burgess/story-fnp0lyn3-1227188119835

rabbitohs95

Bench
Not sure if Tom would want to leave. He has an almost guaranteed spot in the 17 and he's playing with his brothers, but then again it would be a good opportunity for him to prove himself in a team that needs his size and playing style. Hope all the Burgess' stay and Sam comes back sooner rather than later.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Not sure if Tom would want to leave. He has an almost guaranteed spot in the 17 and he's playing with his brothers, but then again it would be a good opportunity for him to prove himself in a team that needs his size and playing style. Hope all the Burgess' stay and Sam comes back sooner rather than later.

Agreed.

I don't think he will leave but you never know.

Manly are filthy as well. Can't stand Toovey.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Looks like Luke Burgess has gone to manly.

Pros;

- Luke has a better chance of getting a starting gig
- Players like Chris Grevsmuhl get a better chance of making it into first grade squad if injuries occur
- Frees up money to re-sign younger players

Cons;

- Could mean the twins move on after next year
- Less depth in the squad

Imo the pros outweigh the cons but it's an interesting move, good for all parties involved

rabbitohs95

Bench
Also has anyone heard any news on Thompson Teteh? He was suppsed to be on a trial and train contract but isn't on the website with the other players.

souths_pride

Juniors
I have a feeling we might just retain him and Auva'a and sweep everything under the carpet. Whether that's a good thing i'm not sure......
I'd be very surprised if we let Walker and Auv'a go. I think if we were going to sack Auva'a it would have been done already. I thought the club handled the situation with him really well - I don't give a crap what the media says. There is no way we could have sacked him before the trial because if he was found innocent then he could have taken the club to court for wrongful dismissal.

As for Luke Burgess signing with Manly, I think he has been let go to free up salary cap space for sure, given all the players that we have coming off contract. I think Maguire is going to be looking secure this core nucleus of players which has the potential to dominate for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts