What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think prior to 2014, Norths had the Burgess twins roaming around learning their trade. Nathan Peats, Justin Hunt joined Para and they'd played their time at Norths. Dylan Farrell, Roy Asotasi and Jeff Lima left and Crocker and Matt King retired from the full time squad, which meant players like Tyrrell and Clarke and McQueen, even Walker, Johnston - if they weren't close to full time in the Souths team in 2012-2013, they were in 2014.

The guys who stepped up were replaced by more or less young ones who are now likely to step up in 2015 too.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Are the Bears still Feeder club for Souths this year?

In the past Norths were strong - but last year they were weak, yet souths win the comp

Do Souths run with a smaller NRL squad? Or do they invest heavily in the higher end palyers

What Souths FG squad members would play for them?

Yes this year the Bears are still Souths feeder club.

Souths have lost a lot of depth due to salary cap. We have had players obviously leave and retire plus had to upgrade contracts due to the on field success eg: McQueen and Walker who had representative honours therefore had to be paid more. Also the re signing of key players .

This year Souths have a smaller NRL squad. I think it's 29. But Cody Walker and Kirisome Auva'a can't play (Auva'a until at least Round 22). So that brings it down to 27 I think.

Souths have a lot of young guys coming through Under 20s and have bought Sorensen, Crichton and Taukafa all young guys. If injuries hit, the Under20s plus these guys will play some 1st grade.

This year to start with Norths will have lots of younger guys some from under 20s/just out of 20s plus others eg: Aaron Gray, Cameron McInnes, Sam Manuleleau, Damon Goolagong, Daryl Millard, Sorensen, Taukafa.

Can't see many Souths 1st graders playing for Norths this year.

I hope this helps answer some questions mate.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
Is he rated as a decent player over there?

I've never heard of him before.

This what I read:

Ryan Sutton is a rugby league footballer who plays for Wigan Warriors in the European Super League.

Sutton made his first team debut on 21 April 2014 in an 84?6 sweep over the Bradford Bulls.[2]

He is widely regarded as the best young prop in Britain

doyen

Bench
This what I read:

Ryan Sutton is a rugby league footballer who plays for Wigan Warriors in the European Super League.

Sutton made his first team debut on 21 April 2014 in an 84?6 sweep over the Bradford Bulls.[2]

He is very highly rated--not big though--102 kgs--the only footage I could find on Youtube was of him getting into a stoush with another prop & being sin-binned.
Apparently rated the best young forward prospect in the UK;as SamB was!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
He is very highly rated--not big though--102 kgs--the only footage I could find on Youtube was of him getting into a stoush with another prop & being sin-binned.
Apparently rated the best young forward prospect in the UK;as SamB was!!

He will be great in a couple of years. Lots of NRL clubs will chase him I think.

Rabbits20

Immortal
This what I read:

Thanks for that. He will be a quality player in UK and if he tests himself in NRL

King guarantees Inglis staying at Souths

Brought to you by
Friday, February 20, 2015 - 4:30 PM
Source: SportsFan
Author: Glenn Valencich

Greg Inglis's comments about his future "were a bit of a throwaway line", says South Sydney assistant Matt King.
And the former Kangaroos centre says Rabbitohs fans do not need to worry about the fullback running away from the club.
Upon landing in England for the World Club Series, Inglis was asked about his future after his manager, Allan Gainey, mentioned that clubs all over the world were inquiring about the star.
"I'm contracted to 2017 but I'm still looking at different options," Inglis said.
"Years pass that quick and we're in 2015 now so I'm just keeping all the doors open and all my options open. There is no harm in looking around."
Following those comments, King admits the squad will benefit from being in England, where the local papers have little interest in Inglis's contract situation.
"The comments that were made when Greggy landed, they haven't distracted the boys at all," King told SportsFan's Will McCloy from England.
"I saw a small headline about it but unless the boys go looking for it, it's not really in the papers over here.
"It might be good timing in that regard that we're a long way away from that sort of news being sought after in the media too much.
"Greggy, he's contracted for another couple of years so I think those comments were a bit of a throwaway line from him, to be honest.
"He's got two more years and I can guarantee to all the Bunnies fans that he's going nowhere in the next couple of years at least."
King also admitted coach Michael Maguire has kept the players on a tight leash following John Sutton and Luke Burgess's exploits in Arizona.
"Madge is personally going round and tucking everyone into bed," he joked.
"Obviously we're here to do a job. The boys haven't been out once.
"They've obviously drunk enough coffee to keep a small army awake but that's the new sort of way to getting together and spending time together, is over coffee, so fingers crossed things go really well for us on Sunday night and we can enjoy each other's company then."
Click here or the video player above to watch Kingy's full chat with Will McCloy, and share your thoughts in the comments below.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/king-gu...at-souths/tabid/91/newsid/154404/default.aspx

alien

Referee
Yes this year the Bears are still Souths feeder club.

I wonder why Souths don't have their own NSW Cup team. Maybe it's just to save money. It would be good to see Souths have their own NSW Cup side though, that played home games at Redfern Oval. They could make a big day at Redfern Oval out of it with 4 games. Harold Matts, SG Ball, NYC (Under 20s), NSW Cup.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I wonder why Souths don't have their own NSW Cup team. Maybe it's just to save money. It would be good to see Souths have their own NSW Cup side though, that played home games at Redfern Oval. They could make a big day at Redfern Oval out of it with 4 games. Harold Matts, SG Ball, NYC (Under 20s), NSW Cup.

Yeah it would. Having 4 grades is a very good idea.

You never know in future may happen.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Yeah it would. Having 4 grades is a very good idea.

You never know in future may happen.

Yeah that's very smart you'll at least get a lot of family and friends of players from the 4 divisions come to Redfern Oval every second week. I like the idea of a NRL reserve grade.

Maybe they should get all the other teams i.e. Bears, Jets and QLD Cup to combine into a nationwide reserve grade cup...would be interesting.

Rabbits20

Immortal
On LU Wests Tigers forum 1 hour ago it looks like Souths are signing a 21 year old Tigers prop Nathan Brown. I don't know much at all about him.

doyen

Bench
On LU Wests Tigers forum 1 hour ago it looks like Souths are signing a 21 year old Tigers prop Nathan Brown. I don't know much at all about him.
Played 1 NRL game in 2013--was part of Tigers Holden Cup P/ship side.

Had pectoral injury which prevented his progress in 2014

PROP--107 kgs 185 cms.

Aggressive,tough young prop--a Fairfield jnr.

Played 1 NRL game in 2013--was part of Tigers Holden Cup P/ship side.

Had pectoral injury which prevented his progress in 2014

PROP--107 kgs 185 cms.

Aggressive,tough young prop--a Fairfield jnr.

Aggro merkin, way down the pecking order at Wests now though.

Writing was on the wall for him when we bought Lodge from the Storm instead of promoting him.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Aggro merkin, way down the pecking order at Wests now though.

Writing was on the wall for him when we bought Lodge from the Storm instead of promoting him.

Madge will discipline him.

If not he will be gotten rid of.

Will play for Norths.

Don't think he'll play 1st grade.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Madge will discipline him.

If not he will be gotten rid of.

Will play for Norths.

Don't think he'll play 1st grade.

Super aggressive, borderline thug. Will fit in well with the squirrel gripping, chicken winging, leg breaking souths pack. Anyways stronger mail he is going to saints.

doyen

Bench
Brown was selected in the NSW Resident's side to play the Qld Residents so was regarded as one of the best in the NSW Cup.

Madge would not be interested in a thug ,as since he's been in charge he tends to pick players who have a balance of ability,decency & good behaviour.
There's an i/view with him on the Tigers Official Site---he is a quietly spoken young bloke who doesn't present,on the surface,anyway,as a thug!

Status
Not open for further replies.