What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbits20

Immortal
We were always up against it playing the top sides in finals with JS at 5/8---we were just never going to be good enough.
Also,Keary displayed his class immediately last season when he was placed in top company.[eg.Titan's match].
I don't think any player can be judged too much on their performance at the Bears.From my experience you tend to perform at the grade level;the NSW's Cup being far below the NRL!!A player of Keary's class was probably totally frustrated in that company!
I'm not too sure that Reynolds would have garnered much from JS's influence anyway.I reckon he's learnt more in the last 6 wks by having a freer rein to express his natural game.

I think Reynolds is now taking leadership in the halves which is good to see. He fully trusts his game now and is the senior half.

I think what he has learnt from Sutton is now contributing to his last 6 weeks.

Keary may have been a bit frustrated but he is definitely better for it now. Made him a better player.

doyen

Bench
You are right though Doyen in that Reynolds looks more free and relaxed in his game.[/QUOTE

I reckon JS looks much,much better too.Although he did OK in the halves over a fair period I always felt a bit sorry for him having to battle along as a pretty slow,105 kg 5/8.He has always been a forward to me;even at 5/8.He's definitely one of our best men though,no doubt!!

He's now on the brink of leading his junior club to a p/ship---& he will do it from the backrow.
Our halves now are a huge breath of fresh air
& Sths are at last playing attractive,watchable footy.In the last 6 wks it has become quite obvious to me that Sths are playing a brand of attacking,expansive f/ball that was basically missing with JS in the halves.
JS's injury was a blessing in disguise & a win/win situation for all members in the team!!!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
You are right though Doyen in that Reynolds looks more free and relaxed in his game.[/QUOTE

I reckon JS looks much,much better too.Although he did OK in the halves over a fair period I always felt a bit sorry for him having to battle along as a pretty slow,105 kg 5/8.He has always been a forward to me, post: even at 5/8.He's definitely one of our best men though,no doubt!!

He's now on the brink of leading his junior club to a p/ship---& he will do it from the backrow.
Our halves now are a huge breath of fresh & Sths are at last playing attractive,watchable footy.In the last 6 wks it has become quite obvious to me that Sths are playing a brand of attacking,expansive f/ball that was basically missing with JS in the halves.
JS's injury was a blessing in disguise & a win/win situation for all members in the team!!![/QUOTE"]

Agree with that. Good post mate.

How good is it knocking those Rorters off! What a great game very sharp attack and brutal defence.

Sutton is smashing it in the back row. It's great to see.

southsport

First Grade
A report from someone who read the latest performance update:

Just watched the performance update

Sam still sore but surgery a success
Not much clean up to be done on players. All healthy.
Stewart and Grant have arrived and are already running and doing weights.
Rest will stagger back from nov 10.
They are all going to 2 weeks high altitude training

Rabbits20

Immortal
A report from someone who read the latest performance update:

Just watched the performance update

Sam still sore but surgery a success
Not much clean up to be done on players. All healthy.
Stewart and Grant have arrived and are already running and doing weights.
Rest will stagger back from nov 10.
They are all going to 2 weeks high altitude training

It's good news I watched the update as well. Thommo does a great job.

I reckon Madge and the high performance team will have some tricks and experiments up their sleeves being a shorter per season.

Let's hope our guys get through the four nations and pull up well

Big Sam

First Grade
We should spend the 2 weeks before the WCC in Arizona. Otherwise we'd be going o/s twice in the off-season.

Just play the U20s in the Charity Shield.

southsport

First Grade
Rugby are after George too:

ENGLISH rugby union giants Gloucester are set to launch a $1 million raid to try and jag the signature of 120kg South Sydney prop forward George Burgess.

In a move that could see the Burgess brothers pitted head-to-head in northern hemisphere rugby, Sport Confidential can confirm multi-millionaire Gloucester owner Ryan Walkinshaw has made Burgess his No. 1 target on the back of his powerful NRL grand final heroics.

The South Sydney prop scored a barnstorming individual try and was only just shadowed by the performance of his brother Sam, who collected the Clive Churchill Medal with a broken cheekbone and fractured eye socket.

Gloucester rugby club owner Walkinshaw is also the owner of the Holden Special Vehicle’s and Holden Racing Team empire and is currently in Australia touring with the V8 Supercars circuit.

England international Burgess, 22, is contracted to the Rabbitohs until the end of 2016 and will play his sixth Test for England against Samoa in the Four Nations double-header in Brisbane on Saturday night.

His brother Sam sent shock waves through the NRL earlier this season by announcing he was quitting South Sydney with two years to run on his contract to pursue the prospect of playing rugby union for England at next year’s World Cup.

In order for Burgess to be granted a release to join the powerful Bath rugby union club in London, South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson secured a $1 million release fee. Should George also wish to seek a release, the Rabbitohs would be expected to pursue a similar type of payout figure.

Whereas Sam will try and make the transition to playing inside centre in the 15-a-side code, George is viewed more as a backrow prospect.

Foxsports

rabbitohs95

Bench
Hmm well if the year Sam left we won the premiership....

We should let each Burgess go with each coming year which means we'll get another 3, fine by me.

South Sydney Rabbitohs centre Kirisome Auva'a could be on the move from Redfern

Date October 29, 2014 - 8:00PM

• Adrian Proszenko

Chief Rugby League Reporter

1414569467974.jpg
    Free agent: Kirisome Auva'a could leave South Sydney. Photo: Getty Images

South Sydney centre Kirisome Auva'a is effectively a free agent after triggering a clause in his contract that allows him to test his market value.
    Auva'a is one of the season's most unlikely success stories, picking up a minimum-wage contract with the Rabbitohs after being deemed surplus to requirements at Cronulla. At one point Auva'a - who can bench press 150 kilograms - considered a career as a professional bodybuilder until the Rabbitohs offered him a lifeline.
    Instead, he won a premiership in his rookie NRL year, scoring the match-clinching try in his side's breakthrough grand final win against Canterbury. In the process he played his 21st NRL game, activating a clause in his Bunnies deal allowing him to exercise his options if he made more than 20 first-grade appearances. The 22-year-old retains the right to see out his two-year deal at Redfern, which will guarantee him a pay increase but is still understood to be below his market worth.
    1414569468060.jpg
    Words of encouragement: Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire. Photo: Getty Images

"He's really enjoyed his time at Souths and we do have another year there," said Auva'a's manager, Andrew Purcell. "The clause was put in to ensure he is paid his market value. We've fielded a little bit of interest. Souths have been great about the whole thing. They're in a difficult situation and are doing their best to help the young fella out by upgrading him and keeping him."
    Advertisement
    Auva'a was born in Samoa and had the opportunity to represent his country of birth, but instead pledged his allegiance to New Zealand. His omission from the Kiwis' Four Nations squad was considered a surprise and prompted the nation's former skipper, Hugh McGahan, to describe him as unlucky. Auva'a feared he would not ever get a look in when he signed for the Rabbitohs and was overlooked for the opening five rounds. However, he ended up scoring nine tries and averaging 105 run metres per game in an unforgettable start to his NRL career.
    "When I didn't get named in that round-one team I had a lot of head noise going on," Auva'a said after his grand final heroics. "[Coach Michael Maguire said] 'I believe in you, keep chipping at it and when you get a chance, don't look back'. When I got my chance in round six, well it's all history now.
    "I'm speechless, I can't put into words how I'm feeling. To win a ring in the first year along with the other rookies in our team is something special. It takes a lot of work, a lot of sacrifices and a lot of pain. And it's all worth it when you get there.
    "A lot of belief has been put into me by Madge and the coaching staff and you can't let them down when they put that much faith in you. I tried to perform every week to keep my spot."
    Veteran three-quarter Lote Tuqiri is yet to decide whether to play on, while Souths will begin their premiership defence without Ben Te'o, Beau Champion, Apisai Koroisau and Nathan Merritt. The Rabbitohs will also be without chief financial controller Joe Kelly, who replaced David Perry as the boss at Manly.

Rabbits20

Immortal
There will no doubt be quite a few of our other players managers demanding contract upgrades. Interesting times ahead before Round 1 next year.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
We really need to keep Auva'a it's important to keep our young backs. Hopefully we can give him an upgrade.

We should let Reddy go. Possibly 1 or 2 others maybe Ben Lowe as well.

Do you reckon we will keep him guys?

We really need to keep Auva'a it's important to keep our young backs. Hopefully we can give him an upgrade.

We should let Reddy go. Possibly 1 or 2 others maybe Ben Lowe as well.

Do you reckon we will keep him guys?

I spoke with Avua'a at the Ball,over the moon cannot describe his thoughts on Souths and his season.The last thing he would want to do is be forced to leave Souths.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I spoke with Avua'a at the Ball,over the moon cannot describe his thoughts on Souths and his season.The last thing he would want to do is be forced to leave Souths.

Would have been great for you having a word with him. The RGB would have been superb.

He deserves an upgrade as he was on a minimum wage, hopefully we can give him a reasonable upgrade.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Something in the water down here with players scattered across the NRL.

Good luck to Angus and hope he works out for you guys, is a really good lad.

Would have been great for you having a word with him. The RGB would have been superb.

He deserves an upgrade as he was on a minimum wage, hopefully we can give him a reasonable upgrade.

R20,He is certainly one humble footballer.He said the whole season was beyond his wildest dreams.Spoke very highly of Maguire.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The signing of Angus Crichton could be very good. He is 187cm and 100kg 18 years old.

I just wonder though if we will be able to sign guys like Gray who isn't contracted yet for next year. We also have Tom Hughes and Manuleleau. Plus Goolagong and I've probably forgotten others.

Also the 1st grade guys we must keep Auva'a, Walker and Johnston will be entitled to upgrades.

We have an overload in the backs at the moment which may mean we lose some high quality players.

Who knows apparently Crichton played 2nd row in Rugby maybe that's where Madge could see him playing.

Rabbits20

Immortal
For the forwards we have Whitelaw coming through and obviously Grevshmul. Not sure if there is anyone apart from those guys in Under20s or Norths.

I still think we are gonna need to sign 1 or 2 extra forwards. We need some depth the forwards look a bit thin to me. A couple of injuries or suspensions and we need back ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.