What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogmatix

Juniors
Souths got the wooden spoon in the U20s. Along with that they have signed players like Millard and Reddy the last few seasons. Corrigan managed to last about 5 or 6 seasons at Souths despite having no talent

Souths need to ditch their current recruiters and find some good recruiters before they do anything on the signing front

doyen

Bench
I honestly think that Sths will find it difficult to sign good players willing to play under Maguire.

This will be one of our major problems.

I don't know who Maguire[& Sths] have in mind to sign,really---but it has been very quite.

So far we have Oldfield.

If I was a young player I think I would be picking a Bennett or a Cleary if I wanted to develop my game & take it to a higher level.

Unfortunately with Madge it is likely that your game could be affected negatively!!

Glen Stewart came to us with the reputation as a ball-playing forward--instead he was utilised as a metre-gainer--he probably,in hindsight,wouldn't have signed with us!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I honestly think that Sths will find it difficult to sign good players willing to play under Maguire.

This will be one of our major problems.

I don't know who Maguire[& Sths] have in mind to sign,really---but it has been very quite.

So far we have Oldfield.

If I was a young player I think I would be picking a Bennett or a Cleary if I wanted to develop my game & take it to a higher level.

Unfortunately with Madge it is likely that your game could be affected negatively!!

Glen Stewart came to us with the reputation as a ball-playing forward--instead he was utilised as a metre-gainer--he probably,in hindsight,wouldn't have signed with us!

Stewart wasn't used as a metre eater. Stewart was used to make tackles and as a ball player.

doyen

Bench
Stewart wasn't used as a metre eater. Stewart was used to make tackles and as a ball player.

I don't think a player like Glenn Stewart should be asked to make even one metre----he should be judged alone on the metres he creates for other players. That is his forte.

But I have seen comments on this forum that he didn't make enough metres!!

Maybe you think he should have contributed more in this regard!

I believe that Madge tried to box Stewart into his defensive & attacking structures which was a waste of his talent!! A head-down,arse-up player he is NOT!!

Therefore he requested a release!

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't think a player like Glenn Stewart should be asked to make even one metre----he should be judged alone on the metres he creates for other players. That is his forte.

But I have seen comments on this forum that he didn't make enough metres!!

Maybe you think he should have contributed more in this regard!

I believe that Madge tried to box Stewart into his defensive & attacking structures which was a waste of his talent!! A head-down,arse-up player he is NOT!!

Therefore he requested a release!

Stewart isn't a halfback he's a back rower. Stewart got in the way a lot this season which choked our halves and made things confusing on field.

Stewart's passing game has been very inconsistent.

Of course Stewart had to fit into our structures. You couldn't expect Stewart to waltz in and get free reign and do as he pleases to suit his game.

As a back rower who is a ball player at times in games you have to make some hit ups. In this regard Stewart was poor.

Curns13

Juniors
Stewart isn't a halfback he's a back rower. Stewart got in the way a lot this season which choked our halves and made things confusing on field.

Of course Stewart had to fit into our structures. You couldn't expect Stewart to waltz in and get free reign and do as he pleases to suit his game.

As a back rower who is a ball player at times in games you have to make some hit ups. In this regard Stewart was poor.

Maguire might like to let McQueen and Turner know this then. Stewart made more metres off the bench in a side that had lost all momentum abd was being completely dominated than either of those 2 combined.

southsport

First Grade
Souths got the wooden spoon in the U20s. Along with that they have signed players like Millard and Reddy the last few seasons. Corrigan managed to last about 5 or 6 seasons at Souths despite having no talent

Souths need to ditch their current recruiters and find some good recruiters before they do anything on the signing front

Don't read anything into the U20s, Souths recognised that the gulf between U20 and NRL is too large so they put several of their best U20 players into NSW Cup.

southsport

First Grade
South Sydney Garage Sale (Sportal NRL Lurker)

South Sydney will hold a ‘garage sale’ in the wake of their early departure from the finals series.

The heavy loss to the Sharks confirmed what coach Michael Maguire and his staff already knew - that the Bunnies lack the fire power up front to match the premiership’s big guns.

As a result, Souths are going all out to re-sign one or both of the two ruthless forwards who spearheaded their grand final charge last year - Sam Burgess and Ben T’eo.

But fitting them in under the salary cap is the problem, thus the garage sale.

The Bunnies have been sending rival clubs messages ‘on the quiet’ in recent weeks that a host of players are available for 2016 - even though they are under contract.

Issac Luke announced early in the year he was off to the Warriors next season while the decision to allow Glenn Stewart out of his deal to join Catalans last week was a signal of Souths’ intentions.

Joel Reddy will be let go, Bryson Goodwin has yet to come to terms and other fringe players will be sent packing as Maguire looks for a new hard edge.

I’m being told that other players like Dave Tyrell, Tim Grant, Jason Clark and even ex-skipper John Sutton would be released if rival clubs come up with acceptable offers.

It all shapes as a fascinating time coming up for the Bunnies as the fallout of their poor finish to the season, which saw them lose four straight games - continues.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl...91hm8js6zcyvs3

Reported this morning "Russell Crowe hangs up on the Grill Team" after they play him Souths jokes...

A dignified response to those fugwits from Rusty I reckon

doyen

Bench
Garage Sale eh!!

A large number of Sths players have gone significantly backwards in this last season.

Their monetary value will be much less on the open market.

What worries me the most is the lack of progress by players like Johnston,Walker,Keary,the Burgess boys--if anything,I would say they have regressed!

Go back 12 mths or so & you had McQueen[a naturally attacking player] making a pretty good fist of SOO--in the period since he has slipped to the verge of the scrap-heap & probably now only worth two bob!!A number of players have had to move away from their natural games & now find themselves in the position of possibly being dumped unceremoniously with nowhere to go & worth a lot,lot less.

As for JS--he is our only forward with any real ball-playing ability & skill---I would very much wonder why he would be dumped!!!

hurricane57

Juniors

And you want to buy Farrah, geesus h christ

cb4

First Grade
I do know we have been offered both McQueen and Grant.

I have no doubt you guys will bounce back. The option to play along side Inglis, Walker, Reynolds and co will be enough to entice some good players over.

IMO, you need to steer clear of Farah, he isn't what a club of your caliber needs. You should be looking at the under 20's test match and picking the cream of the crop.

You guys had a good season. Remember, any team that wins the comp, is targeted the year after as you are the bench mark. No doubt in my mind what so ever you bounce back.

souths_pride

Juniors
Garage Sale eh!!

A large number of Sths players have gone significantly backwards in this last season.

Their monetary value will be much less on the open market.

What worries me the most is the lack of progress by players like Johnston,Walker,Keary,the Burgess boys--if anything,I would say they have regressed!

Go back 12 mths or so & you had McQueen[a naturally attacking player] making a pretty good fist of SOO--in the period since he has slipped to the verge of the scrap-heap & probably now only worth two bob!!A number of players have had to move away from their natural games & now find themselves in the position of possibly being dumped unceremoniously with nowhere to go & worth a lot,lot less.

As for JS--he is our only forward with any real ball-playing ability & skill---I would very much wonder why he would be dumped!!!
Form is temporary class is permanent. The players who you have mentioned are all naturally gifted players who, for one reason or another, have been out of form this season. The other thing to take into account is that many of those players are young and aren't anywhere close to hitting their peak yet. That was part of the reason why many people touted us as being unbeatable at the start of the season - because we won a comp with a whole heap of kids that were only going to get better.

As for John Sutton being a ball playing forward - he is nothing of the sort. John Sutton is just a strong runner of the ball who is good at straightening up our attack and creating overlaps by drawing in defenders. His ball playing skills would be best described as being mediocre. I'd be surprised if we let him go because he is still a good player and he doesn't cost much under the salary cap because we are able to retain him on a long serving players discount. With the likes of Tyrell and Clark, I'm not too sure about letting them go. I could understand Tyrell because his form has been horrible this season but remember, it was only at the start of the season that Michael Hagan came out and said that he thought Tyrell was on the verge of origin selection!

What I find interesting is that everyone seems to have changed their tune of Ben Teo. I think people are forgetting how ordinary he was for the first half of last season; it was only in the latter rounds that he ran into his decent form. In saying this, people on here also didn't like his attitude and the fact that he had a persecution complex; in general I felt a lot of Souths fan were happy to see him go.

southsport

First Grade
I do know we have been offered both McQueen and Grant.

I have no doubt you guys will bounce back. The option to play along side Inglis, Walker, Reynolds and co will be enough to entice some good players over.

IMO, you need to steer clear of Farah, he isn't what a club of your caliber needs. You should be looking at the under 20's test match and picking the cream of the crop.

You guys had a good season. Remember, any team that wins the comp, is targeted the year after as you are the bench mark. No doubt in my mind what so ever you bounce back.

Thanks for that, good luck to you guys next year, you seem to be building quite well imo.

doyen

Bench
Form is temporary class is permanent. The players who you have mentioned are all naturally gifted players who, for one reason or another, have been out of form this season. The other thing to take into account is that many of those players are young and aren't anywhere close to hitting their peak yet. That was part of the reason why many people touted us as being unbeatable at the start of the season - because we won a comp with a whole heap of kids that were only going to get better.

As for John Sutton being a ball playing forward - he is nothing of the sort. John Sutton is just a strong runner of the ball who is good at straightening up our attack and creating overlaps by drawing in defenders. His ball playing skills would be best described as being mediocre. I'd be surprised if we let him go because he is still a good player and he doesn't cost much under the salary cap because we are able to retain him on a long serving players discount. With the likes of Tyrell and Clark, I'm not too sure about letting them go. I could understand Tyrell because his form has been horrible this season but remember, it was only at the start of the season that Michael Hagan came out and said that he thought Tyrell was on the verge of origin selection!

What I find interesting is that everyone seems to have changed their tune of Ben Teo. I think people are forgetting how ordinary he was for the first half of last season; it was only in the latter rounds that he ran into his decent form. In saying this, people on here also didn't like his attitude and the fact that he had a persecution complex; in general I felt a lot of Souths fan were happy to see him go.

JS is the best ball-player[outside GI] that we have--he just hasn't been allowed to use his skills in recent years by a blinkered coach.

Hence,he's probably lost nearly all of his confidence to even have a go now!!!

In fact,it's difficult to decipher who has ball-skills in our forwards because they're not allowed to pass-----the death penalty applying if you try & fail!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts