What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franko

Juniors
Spoke to a mate who talked to some of the 20's/Bears players one of which is very close to the Burgesses who said Sam wants to come back next year but also wants to play for the Lions tour of NZ in 2017....so not sure what to make of that.

Also rumours us and Cronulla want Jamal Idris....no thanks.

I have it on reasonable authority Sam coming back is a done deal and if letting Stewart go and what Ikin and Kent spoke about on NRL 360 there seems to be a lot of stubstance to it.

I'm hearing both Sam and Robbie Farah for next year.

Both Stewart and Grant have been given permission to look elsewhere.

Sam is going to cost us plenty so we may even have to release one or two more. Robbie will come at a discount because the Tigers will pay some of his way and he can't achieve his total asking price anywhere else anyway.

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors
Not too sure what's going on at Sths but the rumours do persist about unrest.

I can only guess!

Madge has stuck stubbornly to players throughout the season who probably needed long stints at the Bears.This means that players at the Bears must wonder what they must do to get a chance!??[eg.Cody Walker,who had been on fire at the time Reynolds was injured & found JS moved back from the pack to 5/8].

We have,it appears,found it difficult to attract top replacements for Sam & Teo;who LEFT the club for reasons we wouldn't really know about!??

Our recruitment has been ordinary to say the least, especially in the backline.

Now only one year into a 2 contract Stewart wants out!

One of the stories circulating was that some of the players were very unhappy with their severe pre-season regime that occurred on top of their extra World Champ game etc. & the burn-out it may cause.

There has also,allegedly, been a problem with the head-down,arse-up style to which Madge seems addicted----his strict & severe disciplinary approach also questioned.

I don't know what recruitment is on the horizon for 2016 but Grant & Stewart haven't exactly set the world on fire since their additions to the club.Now Stewart wants out.

I noticed in the RLW Player's POLL[100 top NRL players questioned]---

Who is the best coach??

Result. Bennett 33% Bellamy 31% Robinson 11% Green 5% Others 20%[Madge amongst the also-rans]

And this is after Sths winning a p/ship & still in the 8 for 2015!
I take very little notice of those polls because rugby league fans are very fickle; I remember in the 2013 and 2014 polls Madge rated quite highly! All of a sudden we lose a few games and no one rates him!

As for the tough pre-season regime, if players are complaining about having to do the hard yakka, then that is just tough titties on their part! What they need to realise is that they are full time professionals who are being paid (pretty well I might add) to do a job; our club is not a free for all and there are plenty of worse jobs they could do for a living out there! Therefore, if they don't like doing the work required, then maybe they should look at getting a job with Woolies or pushing trollies at Coles to pay the bills! I do feel complacency during games is one of the major reasons why we haven't hit the heights expected of us this season. Maybe the players have forgotten about what has gotten them their big pay cheques, their fast cars and nice houses? Who knows?

In terms of recruitment, I thought the players we signed at the time were good buys! Remember, hindsight is a wonderful thing so you need to look at these buys in the appropriate context. Tim Grant was rated one of the best front row prospects in the competition at Penrith and had played origin but had been injured and supposedly had a falling out with Ivan Cleary. I think most other clubs would have jumped at the chance to sign Grant if they could! Similarly, Glenn Stewart was and still is one of the best ball playing back rowers in the competition. I have often heard you complain that Souths style of footy is too one dimensional, well I feel he was bought to add an extra dimension to South Sydney's right hand edge! We haven't had a decent ball playing back rower in years and everyone said that he was a fantastic addition to our team! Basically, in a nutshell, the 2015 additions to the squad have been no better or worse than the vast majority of the rest of the team.

doyen

Bench
I take very little notice of those polls because rugby league fans are very fickle; I remember in the 2013 and 2014 polls Madge rated quite highly! All of a sudden we lose a few games and no one rates him!

As for the tough pre-season regime, if players are complaining about having to do the hard yakka, then that is just tough titties on their part! What they need to realise is that they are full time professionals who are being paid (pretty well I might add) to do a job; our club is not a free for all and there are plenty of worse jobs they could do for a living out there! Therefore, if they don't like doing the work required, then maybe they should look at getting a job with Woolies or pushing trollies at Coles to pay the bills! I do feel complacency during games is one of the major reasons why we haven't hit the heights expected of us this season. Maybe the players have forgotten about what has gotten them their big pay cheques, their fast cars and nice houses? Who knows?

In terms of recruitment, I thought the players we signed at the time were good buys! Remember, hindsight is a wonderful thing so you need to look at these buys in the appropriate context. Tim Grant was rated one of the best front row prospects in the competition at Penrith and had played origin but had been injured and supposedly had a falling out with Ivan Cleary. I think most other clubs would have jumped at the chance to sign Grant if they could! Similarly, Glenn Stewart was and still is one of the best ball playing back rowers in the competition. I have often heard you complain that Souths style of footy is too one dimensional, well I feel he was bought to add an extra dimension to South Sydney's right hand edge! We haven't had a decent ball playing back rower in years and everyone said that he was a fantastic addition to our team! Basically, in a nutshell, the 2015 additions to the squad have been no better or worse than the vast majority of the rest of the team.

With coaching roles there is the "familiarity breeds contempt" factor.

Jack GIBSON[the Doyen of coaches]used to say----

!st year;give me a team down the ladder & I will improve them with discipline & structure.

2nd year--they'll be good enough to make the finals.

3rd year---win a G/final!!

4th yr-- maybe time to move on to another coaching job--familiarity breeds contempt & a fresh approach needed!! For me & the players.

Maguire is a similar type of coach to Gibson in approach & style!!

As for the Polls--Maguire was a fresh face a few years back & did very well--the players have had plenty of time to assess him now & it appears obvious that they don't put him in the top bracket at this stage.

Sths,of course,could prove all the pundits wrong & go back to back!!

Stewart hasn't been allowed to play his natural game,IMO,& it is probably part of the reason he wants out.
He could be a sensation in the ESL where his ball-playing game would be encouraged instead of stifled!

Not much sense in running players completely into the ground in pre-season with the long grind of a season ahead.

Jack Gibson coached Sths for a time but it didn't work out for him & he was shown the door!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench

Sam is going to cost us plenty so we may even have to release one or two more. Robbie will come at a discount because the Tigers will pay some of his way and he can't achieve his total asking price anywhere else anyway.

I'd say Farah will be with Sths for sure;if they want him,that is!!

He has a connection to the club with his bro the physio which would be an attraction.

It will give McInnes more time to mature also & learn how to play from one of the best.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I have it on reasonable authority Sam coming back is a done deal and if letting Stewart go and what Ikin and Kent spoke about on NRL 360 there seems to be a lot of stubstance to it.

Thanks for the insight. I hope you're right.

Stewart is a very good player but doesn't fit into our structures imo.

Come back Sam:)

Rabbits20

Immortal

Thanks.

I really hope you're right.

We may release McQueen too.

JetRider

Juniors
Sutton on the Sterlo show indicated that Sam Burgess has to play another year now that he has made the World Cup

alien

Referee

:)

Why NRL shouldn’t fund Sam Burgess return — What You Missed on TV last night

• Staff writers
  • FOX SPORTS
  • September 10, 2015 9:20PM

ARE South Sydney clearing the decks for Sam Burgess’ NRL return?

With Glenn Stewart leaving South Sydney at the end of the season, NRL360 hosts Ben Ikin and Paul Kent expect the Englishman to return to Australia next year following the Rugby World Cup.
But Kent says if the NRL helps the Rabbitohs sign Burgess, they will be doing disservice to the other 15 clubs.
to the Rabbitohs with Glenn Stewart leaving at the end of the year?
That’s the belief among rugby league’s inner sanctum with the 2014 Clive Churchill medal winner expected to return to Australia following his stint representing England in the rugby World Cup.
“There’s a lot of talk he will be back,” Ikin said.
“He can’t announce it now because of the rugby World Cup.”

This week on the Market Watch podcast injured Broncos star Josh McGuire joins Brett Kimmorley and the boys to talk Nathan Brown’s biggest assignments at the Knights and a possible destination for Robbie Farah.

While the Rabbitohs are favourites to secure Burgess’ signature should he return, Ikin notes that there will be pressure for him to sign with the Super League.
Foxsports.com.au revealed on Monday that Salford have identified Burgess as a player they would like to sign on a marquee deal.
Under the marquee player allowance, the Super League allows every club to sign a player where only a portion of their wage is counted on the cap.
“(Salford’s director of rugby) Tim Sheens has made no secret of the fact they would like Sam Burgess to become their marquee player,” Ikin said.
But Kent isn’t sold on Burgess staying in England.
“The fact his brothers and mother are out here, there’s more behind this,” Kent said
“He doesn’t want to go back to Super League, he wants to come back to the toughest competition.”
But with the big money of Super League potentially standing in the NRL’s way of welcoming Burgess back, it could prompt league boss Dave Smith to opens his war chest to fund the move.
But Kent warns it would be a huge mistake should Smith take that route.
“I hope it never gets used,” Kent said of the war chest.
“I don’t think it should ever be used. The NRL should not be allowed to use discretionary payments.
“Why does South Sydney have a right ahead of the Raiders or Tigers to use NRL money?
“If Souths can afford him on the salary cap, they can have him. If he wants to take less because he would prefer to play at Souths, good on him.
“Either all 16 clubs should have access to marquee player payments or none. It’s unfair.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...on-tv-last-night/story-fn2mcuj6-1227521848893

Mr Spock!

Referee
Why NRL shouldn?t fund Sam Burgess return ? What You Missed on TV last night

• Staff writers
  • FOX SPORTS
  • September 10, 2015 9:20PM

ARE South Sydney clearing the decks for Sam Burgess? NRL return?

With Glenn Stewart leaving South Sydney at the end of the season, NRL360 hosts Ben Ikin and Paul Kent expect the Englishman to return to Australia next year following the Rugby World Cup.
But Kent says if the NRL helps the Rabbitohs sign Burgess, they will be doing disservice to the other 15 clubs.
to the Rabbitohs with Glenn Stewart leaving at the end of the year?
That?s the belief among rugby league?s inner sanctum with the 2014 Clive Churchill medal winner expected to return to Australia following his stint representing England in the rugby World Cup.
?There?s a lot of talk he will be back,? Ikin said.
?He can?t announce it now because of the rugby World Cup.?

This week on the Market Watch podcast injured Broncos star Josh McGuire joins Brett Kimmorley and the boys to talk Nathan Brown?s biggest assignments at the Knights and a possible destination for Robbie Farah.

While the Rabbitohs are favourites to secure Burgess? signature should he return, Ikin notes that there will be pressure for him to sign with the Super League.
Foxsports.com.au revealed on Monday that Salford have identified Burgess as a player they would like to sign on a marquee deal.
Under the marquee player allowance, the Super League allows every club to sign a player where only a portion of their wage is counted on the cap.
?(Salford?s director of rugby) Tim Sheens has made no secret of the fact they would like Sam Burgess to become their marquee player,? Ikin said.
But Kent isn?t sold on Burgess staying in England.
?The fact his brothers and mother are out here, there?s more behind this,? Kent said
?He doesn?t want to go back to Super League, he wants to come back to the toughest competition.?
But with the big money of Super League potentially standing in the NRL?s way of welcoming Burgess back, it could prompt league boss Dave Smith to opens his war chest to fund the move.
But Kent warns it would be a huge mistake should Smith take that route.
?I hope it never gets used,? Kent said of the war chest.
?I don?t think it should ever be used. The NRL should not be allowed to use discretionary payments.
?Why does South Sydney have a right ahead of the Raiders or Tigers to use NRL money?
?If Souths can afford him on the salary cap, they can have him. If he wants to take less because he would prefer to play at Souths, good on him.
?Either all 16 clubs should have access to marquee player payments or none. It?s unfair.?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...on-tv-last-night/story-fn2mcuj6-1227521848893

Seem to recall the NRL throwing money at Johns to keep him in the game.

I don't understand the hurt over the discretionary fund. It would be the simplest thing in the world to administer.

The clubs who wish to sign a player slug it out to make the best offer they can. Once the winner is decided and the player has picked the most suitable contract for himself, the NRL then just come over the top with a sweetener to make up the difference between the contract offered and what the player could earn in another sport.

So if Sam wants to come back and 4 clubs want to sign him, they all put forward their best offers. Sam picks the highest paying contract. Then he submits this to the NRL along with whatever offer is on the table from English RU. The NRL just pays the difference.

If Sam picks a contract that isn't the highest paying then the NRL should only pick up the difference between the highest paying contract and the Rugby Union offer.

Of course, once you have a player receiving such a payment from the NRL, then you are excluded from signing any other players under such an agreement.

It really isn't that hard to run the system in a way that is non beneficial to individual teams.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't understand the hurt over the discretionary fund. It would be the simplest thing in the world to administer.

The clubs who wish to sign a player slug it out to make the best offer they can. Once the winner is decided and the player has picked the most suitable contract for himself, the NRL then just come over the top with a sweetener to make up the difference between the contract offered and what the player could earn in another sport.

So if Sam wants to come back and 4 clubs want to sign him, they all put forward their best offers. Sam picks the highest paying contract. Then he submits this to the NRL along with whatever offer is on the table from English RU. The NRL just pays the difference.

If Sam picks a contract that isn't the highest paying then the NRL should only pick up the difference between the highest paying contract and the Rugby Union offer.

Of course, once you have a player receiving such a payment from the NRL, then you are excluded from signing any other players under such an agreement.

It really isn't that hard to run the system in a way that is non beneficial to individual teams.

I understand what you're saying.

But we don't want Sam to pick the highest offer from clubs that are interested:shock::shock:

We want Sam at Souths where he belongings!!!!!!!

We have first preference to get Sam as was in the agreement when he left.

I can't see Sam going anywhere but Souths.

Crowe will be in contact with Sam anyway and try his best to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.