What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders issued with $2000 breach notice

Goleel

Juniors
5 seconds over, that's a bit harsh, especially in week one. I thought their plan was to give warnings first, at least thats what Annesley and Finch said on the fox footy preview last week. If that's how strictly they're policing this rule then there'll be some pretty heavy pockets in the NRL by the end of the season.

Maybe they're trying to make enough to cover the 16th teams grant? We can only hope.

Pantherjim.

Referee
There's a deadset simple solution to all of this:

When a player is attempting a conversion or penalty goal:

STOP THE CLOCK!

The clock can be restarted once everyone is in position for kick-off.

Pantherjim.

nrl_panthers.gif
piss.gif
nrl_roosters.gif

Raider_69

Post Whore
Pantherjim. said:
There's a deadset simple solution to all this:

STOP THE CLOCK!

Pantherjim.

i agree

skeepe

Immortal
When the rule came out, they said that there would be a time limit of 90 seconds from when a try was scored or a penalty was awarded (a bit rich I think, considering the time it takes for the kicking tee to come out and so on), and that after 90 seconds was up the referee would blow time off and the offending team would be fined.

Someone tell me when Simpkins blew time off for that kick? The NRL conveniently sticks to one part of the deal, but not the other. If they were so worried that the kick took too long, Simpkins would have blown time off once 90 seconds had expired.

Also, I was watching the clock at the Roosters-Rabbitohs game and one of the Roosters kicks took 2 minutes from when the whistle was blown. So when exactly does the time start?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Pantherjim. said:
There's a deadset simple solution to all of this:

STOP THE CLOCK!

Pantherjim.

Man, do you realise how sloooowly a high-scoring game will go for then?? Ironically, the game would be quicker if you let the kickers take their shots with the clock running!!

TV won't like it & neither will the fans - it'll make footy almost as bad as Gridiron...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
This is crap. You are a bunch of Whingers.... Fair Dinkum. It's 90 seconds. If you can't kick the ball in 90 seconds then you shouldn't bother kicking it.

Heres my ammended rule:

You don't kick in 90 seconds, you lose the chance. Simple!!!

Southernsaint

Staff member
No-one cared until a couple of coaches complained last year...

Another rule get's introduced & the game becomes even more officiated...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Raider_69

Post Whore
ok then i give you this hyperthetical:

Manly are down 25-20 in the grandfinal, with 1 minute left andrew makes a break but gets ankle taped at the 50 metre mark, he gets the pass away to donald to score in the corner, by walker is winded from the fall and souths have thrown the ball away
by the time walker gets up recovers, retreives the ball and lines up to kick, BANG time up souths win the grandfinal...

--------------------

dosnt sound right to me and i dont think such would come under extenuating sircumstances

ibeme

First Grade
What the fine effectively does is encourages kickers not to waste time, but does not prevent it. If it came down to a match winning kick on the siren, then the kicking team would cop the fine if it meant winning the match. If a kicker did it all the time though, the club could up for about $20000 in some matches. It keeps the game flowing, but allows teams to pay for extra time for crucial kicks.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Raider_69 said:

Manly are down 25-20 in the grandfinal, with 1 minute left andrew makes a break but gets ankle taped at the 50 metre mark, he gets the pass away to donald to score in the corner, by walker is winded from the fall and souths have thrown the ball away
by the time walker gets up recovers, retreives the ball and lines up to kick, BANG time up souths win the grandfinal...

--------------------

dosnt sound right to me and i dont think such would come under extenuating sircumstances

So chuck the ball to Hicks, Willo or Jye Mullane. If your side is reliant on one kicker then you could suffer that injury at any time in the year.

Kick the ball. It's simple. Manly wouldn't be that stupid to wait for him. And BTW there is more than one ball at the match. Geez...

Raider_69

Post Whore
i just think the best way is the old system
if a ref feels time is being wasted then he can call time off, then the player can face fines if its deemed that way

schif kicked all his goals using the same method but he is punished for it.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Then you had better get use to seeing him fined each week. FFS, it's 90 seconds. It's nearly 2% of a match every time he kicks the bloody ball.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Raider_69 said:

--------------------

So chuck the ball to Hicks, Willo or Jye Mullane. If your side is reliant on one kicker then you could suffer that injury at any time in the year.

Kick the ball. It's simple. Manly wouldn't be that stupid to wait for him. And BTW there is more than one ball at the match. Geez...

But by the time they decided ok, walker isnt fit to kick, give it Jye or who ever its too late, the chance is gone

my major problem is the rule has to many grey areas
the best system was already in place, refs just didnt use it enough

Rocks

Juniors
They should have a visible SHOT CLOCK at every ground.

Once 90 seconds elapses, the referee blows time off and the kicker is allowed to complete the kick.

However, as punishment for exceeding the time limit, instead of the opposition Kicking Off from half way, they go back to half way and get to take a tap and retain possession.

Consider Sunday's game....... Schif went over time on the last kick when he was trying to soak up the clock to kill off any remote possibility of Saints staging a last minute comeback. Would he have been so slow if he thought the Dragons would get the ball back on half way ??

You could then extend it to Line Drop Outs. 30 seconds to restart otherwise the other team gets a tap on the 20m line.

Large visible shot clocks for the fans and players to see are essential.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Raider_69 said:

--------------------

But by the time they decided ok, walker isnt fit to kick, give it Jye or who ever its too late, the chance is gone

I've got an idea for you. Go follow Union. There you will be able follow goal kicking on a full time basis.

ibeme

First Grade
Rocks said:

Once 90 seconds elapses, the referee blows time off and the kicker is allowed to complete the kick.

However, as punishment for exceeding the time limit, instead of the opposition Kicking Off from half way, they go back to half way and get to take a tap and retain possession.

Consider Sunday's game....... Schif went over time on the last kick when he was trying to soak up the clock to kill off any remote possibility of Saints staging a last minute comeback. Would he have been so slow if he thought the Dragons would get the ball back on half way ??

You could then extend it to Line Drop Outs. 30 seconds to restart otherwise the other team gets a tap on the 20m line.

The problem with enforcing immediate penalties are, they're permanent. With a fine, it can be dealt with or appealed after the match. On field penalties can't be, and if it were found out that the kicker had a legitimate problem, then it's too late, the damage is already done.

Raider_69

Post Whore
ibeme said:
Rocks said:

The problem with enforcing immediate penalties are, they're permanent. With a fine, it can be dealt with or appealed after the match. On field penalties can't be, and if it were found out that the kicker had a legitimate problem, then it's too late, the damage is already done.

i think if this rule is to be done there needs to be a medium between the two, if a team is time wasting they get a fine but the team that was effected gets nothing, where as your point is also valid

im absolutly convinced that the old system was best just refs needed to be calling time off for more than the ball falling off the mound, i mean its not too difficult to see when someone is wasting time and when someone is going through their normal routine

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Raider_69 said:
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
Raider_69 said:

--------------------

I've got an idea for you. Go follow Union. There you will be able follow goal kicking on a full time basis.

good to see you can hold a conversation on a topic
:arrow: afl :arrow: PRONTO

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I'll leave the AFL you you.

So you think I can't hold a conversation?

I haven't seen you put forward one good reason why the game should waste 2% of the match every time your shit sides scores a try?

The stupid think is I don't dislike him as a kicker or your club. I actually have him in one of my VNRL sides. But I'd rather lose 2 points in that then see him waste time on the field.

Your only reply is that ' the old rule was beter'... That's hardly a conversation of much merit.

Latest posts