What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders return in November

Raiders to return in November
tongue_426.jpg
October 3, 2006
spacer.gif
The Canberra Raiders will return to Raiders HQ on Monday November 6, 2006, to commence their pre-season training for 2007, with their new look squad under new coach Neil Henry.​
The Raiders are currently on a well earned break following their successful 2006 season, and will look to come back to training refreshed and focused on going even further next year.
Raiders new Coach Neil Henry will join a host of new players at the green machine in 2007, and will decide his first grade squad as the pre-season training unfolds.
With several new faces arriving soon to Canberra it is sure to be an exciting period for the green machine, and the club is looking forward to a successful and prosperous 2007.
RAIDERS' NEW FACES:
Neil Henry (Coach) – Cowboys
Michael Crawley (Assistant Coach) – North Queensland Young guns
Michael Dobson - Wigan
Colin Best – Dragons
Andrew Dunneman – Salford (English SL)
Neville Costigan – Broncos
Glen Turner – Storm
Matt Bickerstaff – Dragons
Scott Logan – Wigan (English SL)
Steve Irwin – Redcliffe (Qld Cup)
Tony Pamatangi – Eels
Brett Kelly – Sharks
Wade Grintell – The Entrance (Central Coast)
Ryan Barton - France

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
A lot of unknowns in that bunch, methinks. Good signings in Best, Bickerstaff and Costigan, but the rest are all big questions marks, for my mind anyway.

reptar

Juniors
raiders fan forever said:
The Raiders are currently on a well earned break following their successful 2006 season, and will look to come back to training refreshed and focused on going even further next year.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Bundled out first week of the finals again... if that's a successful season I don't want to see an unsuccessful one.

paulquinn49

Bench
haha as soon as I read the first sentence I knew someone would untwist their undies and have a whinge.

We totally had the squad to win the comp ay Reptar, I dont know who is to blame, Elliot, Smith, Howell, Zillman's non inclusion, or god...which is actually Zillman now...I think.

Raiders_mat

Juniors
reptar said:
Does anyone see anything wrong with this? Bundled out first week of the finals again... if that's a successful season I don't want to see an unsuccessful one.

Seeing at the start of the year we were tipped to finish with the Spoon and we finished 7th. I think it was a good year.

Timbo

Staff member
I agree with reptar.

People get deliriously happy when we scrape into the semi's by the skins of our teeth and get smashed in week one.

To quote a really bad movie-If you aint first, you're last.

SOULS 04

Juniors
i think it was successful although alot of missed opportunities... it could have been alot better. hell one semi final win would have made it a massive amount better.

skeepe

Immortal
Timbo said:
I agree with reptar.

People get deliriously happy when we scrape into the semi's by the skins of our teeth and get smashed in week one.

To quote a really bad movie-If you aint first, you're last.

That's funny, I remember hearing that quote in a really excellent movie.

Also, given that the pundits all predicted a finish of 15th, and even most of the fans predicted a finish of around 13th, combined with the emergence of Todd Carney as a genuine first-grade halfback, how could 2006 be considered anything other than successful?

f**k me dead.

Lime_Green

Juniors
skeepe said:
Also, given that the pundits all predicted a finish of 15th, and even most of the fans predicted a finish of around 13th.

Who gives a damn about the pundits, we all know they are clueless due to the lack of media coverage given to the Raiders.

The Club should have high standards and never accept mediocrity.

2006 was a decent season, but to call it successful may be shooting too high. ;-)

reptar

Juniors
paulquinn49 said:
haha as soon as I read the first sentence I knew someone would untwist their undies and have a whinge.

We totally had the squad to win the comp ay Reptar, I dont know who is to blame, Elliot, Smith, Howell, Zillman's non inclusion, or god...which is actually Zillman now...I think.
Where have I ever said we had the squad to win the competition this year?

There were successful elements of the season, but I'd hardly call the season successful as a whole.

Raider_69

Post Whore
easy skeepe
the talent in the squad could have gone alot further then we did. It was an average season, neither successful or a failure

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Lime_Green said:
Who gives a damn about the pundits, we all know they are clueless due to the lack of media coverage given to the Raiders.

The Club should have high standards and never accept mediocrity.

2006 was a decent season, but to call it successful may be shooting too high. ;-)
If the Raiders start winning games and winning them well, rather than by the usual 2-4 points (or even less), then I feel that the Sydney media will step on the bandwagon. Perhaps you should take the lime green glasses off and realise that the brand of football played by the Raiders this year was easily short of winning a premiership.

Lime_Green

Juniors
TiTTieS_[CNTDN] said:
If the Raiders start winning games and winning them well, rather than by the usual 2-4 points (or even less), then I feel that the Sydney media will step on the bandwagon. Perhaps you should take the lime green glasses off and realise that the brand of football played by the Raiders this year was easily short of winning a premiership.

I don't deny wearing lime green glasses. :lol:

Seriously though, I agree that we were unlikely to win this year with the squad we had. But that's not the point. The point is that the club leadership should always have high standards, should always aim to win or come close at least. And by calling last season "successful" we are endorsing a fairly average result. We got beaten by Souths earlier in the year, and were bundled out of the finals unceremoniously in the first week.

Mediocrity should never be celebrated (IMO). I realise that some people regard this year as a success, I do not.

whatwhat

Juniors
Ryan Barton - France

Does anyone know about these two blokes? I have never heard of them..

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Lime_Green said:
I don't deny wearing lime green glasses. :lol:

Seriously though, I agree that we were unlikely to win this year with the squad we had. But that's not the point. The point is that the club leadership should always have high standards, should always aim to win or come close at least. And by calling last season "successful" we are endorsing a fairly average result. We got beaten by Souths earlier in the year, and were bundled out of the finals unceremoniously in the first week.

Mediocrity should never be celebrated (IMO). I realise that some people regard this year as a success, I do not.
Good response. I just realised that I was only making my post in relation to your first point :)

raidersforme

Juniors
whatwhat said:
Ryan Barton - France

Does anyone know about these two blokes? I have never heard of them..

Wade is chad's brother

Ryan was on loan just like dobson to france

thickos

First Grade
2006 had some major highs, and on the whole the team played quite well. The unity in the squad was impressive, Carney developed magnificently as the season went on and we had some tremendous victories. I honestly think if we didn't play dry-weather footy in the semi we could have done something in September, but it's all hypotheticals now...

brenno

Juniors
i'm looking foward to seeing how mick dobson goes. I've seen him play in the ESL and he has a very good kicking game, very similiar to matthew head of the dragons. Cositgan and Dobson will compete for starting positions straight away you would think.