What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders team v Manly

Raider_69

Post Whore
seriously thou ball boy
tell him to pull his head in. despite him signing for the chooks, that irrelevent, he has played f**king ordinary for 3 weeks, in my day that got your dropped to second division

Mal Meninga

Bench
Can't really trust him after what he's been telling other fans...

Disappointed that Toddy hasn't made the final 17 but i'll be keen to watch the PL side, has that team been announced yet? I remember I turned up a few minutes before 1's last year and the score was up in the 60's :lol: Great team the reggies were last year.

ball boy

Bench
mate i told him he was playing crap and he said he knows he said it was his knee and that he will be better this week

Raider_69

Post Whore
I Bleed Green said:
"in my day"

Aren't you 17? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
maybe.... 8-[ :-$

monnas better hope he is better this week otherwise he could well find himself in PL, and he is too good for that IMHO

woodgers

Bench
woodgers wrote:
Quote:

He said that four times?!?

Greeneyed is getting on a bit, that's why.

Sorry???? I didn't quite hear..... huh?

'WE THANK YOU FOR NOT DISCUSSING THE OUTSIDE WORLD'

greeneyed

First Grade
ball boy said:
mate i told him he was playing crap and he said he knows he said it was his knee and that he will be better this week

Ball boy... come clean... did you really say "Joel... you are playing crap"......???????

And if he is injured.. he shouldn't be playing at all....

greeneyed

First Grade
AND ball boy... if Joel has pride in the jersey... he isn't showing it the last few weeks... he has been hopeless and doesn't look like he wants to be here.

ball boy

Bench
i said joel you havent been playing well latley... and now after he has told me that i am expecting him to play well or i will be very dissapointed

greeneyed

First Grade
Sounds like his word that he gave to a variety of other people that he wouldn't be leaving Canberra.....

Raider Azz

Bench
hrundi99 said:
That's it. I'm dusting off my original Woodgers jersey.

You reckon I can still fit into it...?

I might have to give it to the wife to wear.
There's no chance I'd fit in my Woodgers jersey... size XS :lol:

At least I have my old-school jacket :D

From today's CT:

Backyard to Brookvale, Monaghan boys ready to rumble
By Peter Fitzgerald
Wednesday, 28 July 2004

Departing Raider Joel Monaghan will line up against elder brother Michael for the first time when Canberra travels to Brookvale Oval to challenge the Manly Sea Eagles on Sunday.

Michael Monaghan spent three seasons with Joel at the Raiders before joining the Seas Eagles this year.

He ventured to Manly with the guarantee of playing regular first grade. The clever halfback has also taken over as captain since former skipper Steve Menzies stood down midway through the year.

After playing with the Tuggeranong Buffaloes as kids, the only time the Monaghan brothers have come up against each other was in the backyard.

Joel - linked with Manly before announcing he would join the Roosters at the end of the year - said he was looking forward to finally playing against Michael.

"Our team will be looking at him, not just me personally, because of the position he plays. But it'll be good to play against him for the first time," Joel said, before joining his Raiders teammates in a go-kart session yesterday.

"He's captain as well now so he and Germ [Simon Woolford] will no doubt have a few words on the field which will be good to see."

As a tribute to the 1987 premiership decider between the two teams, the Raiders and Sea Eagles will heritage jerseys on Sunday, similar to those worn 17 years ago.

The initiative is part of the National Rugby League's "80s week". The NRL decided to launch the idea with the Raiders-Manly match this weekend, but the rest of the teams will wear their '80s uniforms in Round 25.

Monaghan is part of an unchanged starting line-up that defeated the Warriors in golden-point extra time last weekend.

Despite sitting seventh on the ladder with 10 wins, the Raiders are not yet guaranteed a finals birth. Monaghan said the Sea Eagles would not be easybeats this weekend.

"[Manly's] position on the ladder [14th] shows they're struggling, but they're only just losing games and not playing too bad so it'll be tough this weekend," he said.

"I think we can almost cement a spot in the eight if we win this week, so it's pretty important for us to get the points."

Lock Terry Martin has been ruled out for another week with a rib cartilage injury, similar to the one Luke Davico suffered prior to the City v Country representative match earlier in the year.

Teenager Michael Weyman has again been named on the bench, as has Tyran Smith, Michael Hodgson and Troy Thompson.

Coach Matt Elliott is satisfied he has the firepower to continue the Raiders' successful period, which has seen them win four of their past five matches.

"Terry [Martin] was touch-and-go so we decided it best not to name him. Everybody else fully deserves to remain in the top squad," he said.

"While last week wasn't our most impressive display of the year, I'm happy with the squad we have at the moment and don't want to make too many changes as we attempt to cement a spot in the finals."

Captain Simon Woolford is confident he has recovered from a shoulder injury suffered during the loss to the Panthers 11 days ago.

A loss on Sunday could see the Raiders slide from the top eight. With matches to come against the Newcastle Knights, Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters to follow, it would leave the Raiders in a vulnerable spot.

"We need to consolidate on the weekend, no doubt," Woolford said. "Even though that performance last week wasn't great, we need to improve again on that and consolidate by getting the points."

Raider Azz

Bench
Theres also a picture of the jersey in the paper, looks good! It's got the old school logo and is a lighter shade of green :)

greeneyed

First Grade
Summary of a story in today's CT:

Consistent second rower Michael Hodgson declared yesterday he was fit to resume from a damaged rib in the Canberra Raiders match against Manly on Sunday. Hodgson was the Raiders best forward until sustaining the injury in the victory against Cronulla in June. He inflamed the problem in attempting a comeback against the Cowboys three weeks ago. But he is raring to go from the interchange bench on Sunday.

"I needed to give it a bit of a rest. The last couple of weeks I just haven't been confident but it has settled down a lot and I am ready to go this week. It was one of these things that I probably could have played last week and be back where I was about four weeks ago. So I thought I'd give it another week. In the North Qld game I was a bit reluctant to get involved, but that was due to lack of confidence with my rib. Before the injury I was happy with how my year was going. I really like playing in the second row and especially developing combinations with Mark McLinden. I want to build on that" Hodgson said.

Hodgson will play with special padding to protect the injury.

The Raiders are looking to improve against Manly.

"They have got some players who can run the ball well and score tries. We are in a position where we want to be in the finals and be good contenders. Because it is so close to the finals, we have got something to look forward to, so we are looking to build some form and confidence going into that. Last weekend was a win that 12 or 18 months ago we wouldn't have got away with, so I think that is a sign of where we've come from. In the past we've lost games like that" Hodgson said.

edabomb

First Grade
Cheers greeneyed. You may have your enemies on this forum but you still come up with the good oil IMO.

Good to see Hodgson back, his form dropped off a bit before the injury, hopefully he'll be on fire again.

azza

Juniors
Like the old jersey for the Manly game but I wish it had a collar, perhaps like the dark blue one we had in '94. Right now the jersey looks like something the village people would wear when they sung 'YMCA'.

edabomb

First Grade
I agree, the dark green of 94 was tops. Best jersey ever was the 95 one!! I have it but its a small, and has taken a beating from trainings.