What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAIDERS V STORM

thickos

First Grade
Davico says Raiders' season hangs in the balance
from nrl.com

12 August 2004

Injured Canberra prop Luke Davico tonight admitted the Raiders could kiss their 2004 NRL premiership campaign goodbye if they lost to bogey team Melbourne on Sunday.

The 10th-placed Raiders, one of four teams sitting on 22 points on the NRL ladder, are involved in a mad scramble to make the top eight.

They have a poor record against Melbourne, losing the past four clashes between the sides including two at Canberra Stadium, the venue for Sunday's game.

On the plus side, they enjoy the bye next week and play their final two matches at home against the Sydney Roosters and Souths.

"It's do or die," said Davico, who was released from hospital today after undergoing surgery to repair a torn left pectoral muscle suffered in last Saturday's 20-14 loss to Newcastle.

"If we don't win this weekend you can pretty much say the year's over.

"There's a huge bunch of teams trying to fit into the eight and if we lose this weekend we'll fall two points behind all that.

"Our for-and-against isn't that crash hot so our whole season comes down to this weekend."

Wigan-bound Davico was at a loss to explain why the Storm had the wood on Canberra, which lost to its nemesis 22-18 at Olympic Park in round 11.

"We know we can play well against them, we just have to finish it off," said Davico, who played the last of his 176 games for Canberra last weekend.

The 31-year-old, who will join Wigan in the English Super League on a two-year deal, said he was "shattered" at being denied at farewell appearance at Canberra Stadium against the Rabbitohs.

"I'm pretty gutted and a bit disillusioned but I've been down this path a few times before so I'm sort of used to it," said Davico, who was ruled out of the Country Origin side this year because of a rib injury.

"It doesn't get any easier that's for sure."

Davico, who tore his right pectoral muscle two years ago, will have his arm in a sling for the next six weeks and is expected to fully recover by January when he is required for Wigan.

He will help coach Matthew Elliott at training as the Raiders attempt to send out another departing club stalwart, Ruben Wiki, a winner.

edabomb

First Grade
greeneyed said:
Brad Drew had form in 2001. How will that help us in 2004?

Yes but we can sit here and complain how awful our attack was after the game etc.... or take a risk on him. I would of preferred we take the risk on Carney,but obviously they wanna wait till hes 32 to start him :lol: :lol:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The Raiders got off to a good start last week anyways, so I don't think it's the starting 13 that needs to be messed with. I was dissapointed with the bench last week.

edabomb

First Grade
Yea but every point we scored was lucky. I don't think we should gamble on the likes of Bulgarelli coming up with try assists.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Well he did come up with one for us. I was impressed with his first half performance. I think it's just unfortunate that he's not a young bloke and can continue to build on his game.

greeneyed

First Grade
On WIN TV Canberra News tonight:

The captain Woolford will play. Both the captain and coach seem desperate for him to take the field. [Comment: From the nature of the comments, it seems extremely serious, the injury, however. There seems little doubt that he would not take the field in any normal circumstances.]

Robertson will play Premier League. He claimed he "could not perform the role that Nathan Smith performed last week" off the bench...........

greeneyed

First Grade
The weekly Magic Moment was the Raiders winning last year's Premier League Grand Final against Penrith Cougars.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
ball boy said:
Walt Flanigan said:
Didn't work from memory.

It did at the start of the game we were flogging them till we changed it

Yep, good point. I do recall sitting at the game in complete ease after the fist 15 mins, thinking we had it in the bag. Damn you Melbourne! :doubt:

I think we should do something similar to what the Roosters did last night, and that's have an all-star bench.

Because Phil Gould said it last night, and he's right, generally ANY line-up matches it with their opponents in the first 20 minutes, even if it's Souths playing the Bulldogs or whatever. If the bench can hold their own (which they can) for the first 20 minutes, then you'd have guys who can come on and lift the team another level.

If I were Elliot I'd seriously consider having a bench of McLinden, Weyman, Smith and O'Hara. Imagine the damage they could do when they came on. Just a thought.

paulquinn49

Bench
and imagine the damage the oppositions starting line up would do to us. Instead of being behind by 12 after 20 we would be behind by 20.

I like mclinden from the bench tho.

SOULS 04

Juniors
If I were Elliot I'd seriously consider having a bench of McLinden, Weyman, Smith and O'Hara. Imagine the damage they could do when they came on. Just a thought.

i think thats a great idea.... i dunno i reckon the other forwards we have would go pretty well for the first 20... then bring weyman and o hara on with macs to caus some havoc.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i have some confidence that we can win
but realistically they could trudge out 13 goats in melbourne jersys and we'd find some way to lose

Kris_man

Bench
i agree too. we need to try things. the main decision elliott has to make at the moment is: to make changes or not to make changes. (and that refers to more than just team selections). at the moment he's opting not to make changes. time will tell if it pays off or not. i personally think we should make changes, and in these areas:
- croker in the back row, not 5/8. i don't think we're in a position to do what we did last year with toots at 5/8, because drew is in even worse form than he was last year. even at the end of last year, drew was playing ok, like that try he got against the roosters at the SFS. sure, toots can run, im not debating that. but he can't kick, and he's not a great long passer either, even though he's got a great offload. good runner + great offload = lock.
- carney. we need more creativity in attack, even elliott knows this, thats why he brought drew in. however, i dont think drew is the man to do it. i'd like to see carney or even camp koups instead. crikey elliott, drew even admitted he's not comfortablt playing half. but, maybe this surprise call up might give drew the confidence he needs to get his long lost form back.
- show the same sort of faith in young guys like weyman, miller and kahler that has been shown in drew. that means, weyman in the starting team with davico absent. to me, thompson's not even a prop, he's a back rower. tall lanky build + good offload = back rower. im happy to see miller and kahler there though, but this round its something elliott's done out of necessity, not faith.

DJ Raida

Bench

who would be starting halfback? drew? carney?

I wish it were Carney, but it won't happen.

It'd have to be Drew. As much as that thought fills me with horror, we have to try something.

McFadden announced his retirement on SEN in Melbourne early this month. This will be his final season, unless he pulls a comeback.