What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders vs. Roosters Round 24

From today's CT...

Time for Raiders to slay the giant
Rugby league By Peter Fitzgerald
Saturday, 21 August 2004

It's looming as a battle of David and Goliath status.

The high-flying Roosters, coming off last weekend's decisive 44-12 victory over reigning premier Penrith, against the struggling Raiders, still recovering from their 36-18 hiding by the Storm.

The Roosters have been the benchmark of the competition for the past three seasons, with nine players who have represented their country of origin.

The determined yet inconsistent Raiders have just one top level representative player.

But ask Raiders coach Matt Elliott, and both sides are on a level playing field when they clash at Canberra Stadium tomorrow afternoon.

The Raiders' training sessions of the past week have been reminiscent of a schoolyard sports carnival - only those fit and not suspended for poor behaviour being allowed to participate - rather than a National Rugby League side preparing for one last shot at making it to the finals.

Tuesday's planned training session had to be moved to the gymnasium due to a lack of fit personnel. Elliott has had to contend with 11 senior players missing, as a result of injury or suspension but remains adamant the season is not yet over for his troops.

"One thing that we've got is a fair bit of excitement and enthusiasm," he said before a closed training session yesterday morning.

"We've had a fair roll-over of personnel, so we've had to iron out some lumps and bumps but, if we perform well, we'll give ourselves the opportunity to win the match."

Since the Raiders lost to Manly three weeks ago, their prospects for season 2004 have been on the line with each match.

Further losses to the Knights and Storm in the past fortnight has resulted in bringing the season's chances to a thundering crescendo tomorrow. While preferring - for the sake of himself and his players - not to enter into another "do-or-die" discussion, Elliott did admit his side needed to lift significantly if it is to defeat the Roosters.

"It's now not a matter of winning, it's a matter of performing well," he said. "What we need to do is just play as well as we can."

In the star-studded opposition lineup the Raiders face top-level representatives Anthony Minichiello, Shannon Hegarty, Brad Fittler, Jason Cayless, Craig Wing, Adrian Morley, Michael Crocker, Craig Fitzgibbon and Luke Ricketson.

While Raiders debutant Marshall Chalk will undoubtedly be challenged by Fittler and Brett Finch high balls, Elliott is confident his side is prepared for anything its Sydney challengers have to throw at them.

"We haven't really focused on the Roosters this week," he said. "As a result of our high turnover through injury and suspension, our focus has been wholly and solely on us and trying to cement some combinations."

Bay56

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
"We haven't really focused on the Roosters this week," he said. "As a result of our high turnover through injury and suspension, our focus has been wholly and solely on us and trying to cement some combinations."

translated into "aint got a f**king idea how to stop this team from lapping us by half time"

Tik

Juniors
Based on the weekend results so far, when we win this weekend we'll be back in the 8!!

What an opportunity :D

(Gees i get excited before a big game) :clap:

Bay56

First Grade
The most points conceded by us in a game is 61 ... way back in 1982.
Our worst defeat is 54-3 ... also in 1982.

Lets hope that history will be kinder to us ... maybe we can emulate our 2nd best win .... 66-4 against the Roosters, April 15 1990.

I'm an idiot....i made a bet with 3 people at work on this game.....and im gunna lose $15..........damn.........unless we come up with a miracle

Bay56

First Grade
raiderette_robbo said:
I'm an idiot....i made a bet with 3 people at work on this game.....and im gunna lose $15..........damn.........unless we come up with a miracle

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

now you can understand why you cracked me up that first time you came on :lol: :lol:

were you intoxicated at the time of making the bet ... maybe you can get out of it on the grounds of diminished responsibilty or something ... are you of legal age to bet, thats another that could be in your favour.

Bay56

First Grade
raiderette_robbo said:
hey well im a funny person...........
and i just wasnt thinking at the time wen i made these bets.

are you blonde (a real blonde) .... cause that can also be in your favour :) :lol:

Lynchie

Juniors
For a bit of fun I have placed $5 on Canberra to lead by 1-4 at halftime for a return of $42.50. :D Adrian Morley has been ruled out of the game too so hopefully that will help the Raiders to victory.

Bay56

First Grade
I dont know how the game looked on telly but at the ground it looked awful for the first 20.

I was thinking they are scoring more that a point a minute .. this will be remembered as "the massacre at Bruce".

But then the Raiders made me a proud supporter ... for the first time in many moons I felt absolutely 100% proud to be a Raiders supporter. Yes we lost but at least the guys dug in deep ... those are the sort of loses you can take.

We bantered with the Roosters supporters (and by golly there were a lot of them) ... but it was all in good spirits ... thats what footy is all about.

We waved the flag from the car as we were leaving the ground.

We joked with some Roosters supporters who teasingly were pointing to the emblem on their cap. I shouted out "is that a salary cap, looks a couple of sizes to big mate" ... and they laughed.

Overall a good day as I expected us to lose by a far bigger margin than that.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bay56 said:
We joked with some Roosters supporters who teasingly were pointing to the emblem on their cap. I shouted out "is that a salary cap, looks a couple of sizes to big mate" ... and they laughed.

i proclaim it call of the week
:lol: :lol: :lol:

greeneyed

First Grade
We got lapped by 50 in Jersey Flegg, though we were looking pretty good at stages in the second half (which is what I saw). Zillman again was our best player. Ale looks outstanding. Scored 2 in the second half from memory.

PL.... the Roosters are very aggressive in defence and they have a big forward pack. Our forward pack was obviously stretched by injury... we were right in it... and then Roosters scored some tries to put a fair gap on... but then the Raiders came back and only just lost in the end 36-30. We were finishing by far the stronger.

I think a full strength Raiders PL side has a very good chance of doing well in the finals. Especially as it looks like the Roosters will have all teams going around in the finals....

azza

Juniors
Well now that I have cooled down a bit I can say that the team definitely did themselves and the supporters proud in the end. A hopeless first 20 where we just didn't seem to be interested but overall an OK performance from a team low on confidence and game breakers. The team again had very little structure and Elliot's selection decisions were poor - he is not a great coach, as already made clear by myself and others.

However I can't blame him for our lack of gamebreakers in the side, we have a lot of solid players but not too many players who can create something out of nothing. Hopefully Ale and Frawley will provide that next year and I'm sure Graham will if fit.

I hate the Roosters because their fine side is clearly made up of juniors poached from other clubs. They played well for 20 but they aren't quite the side they were last year or the year before.

O'Hara had a fine game which was good to see given he has been ordinary for some time now. Mark McLinden has to be one of the most disappointing players I have seen in the Raiders jumper given the promise he showed when he first made his debut. Drew had an OK game and Bulgarelli tried hard.

After the past two months I don't feel as disappointed as I once did to see Joel Monaghan going. He is doing nothing here. See ya later mate.

Bay56

First Grade
Azza .... my feelings as well.

I to am a bit disappointed with macca ..... I am one of his biggest fans and have defended him in the past but at the moment there is that something that is missing from his game. IN saying that I'm sure that a better coach would bring out the best in him and a partner in crime.

We played without Rubes and Statue today but hey get used to it, thats going to be 2005. Management/coach are obviously to blame here but it was pleasing to see we didnt fall down badly in that department today.

Sometimes an organisation needs a good shakeup .... get the hose in, turn on the water full pressure and just clean everything out. Thats where we are at the moment ... anything else is just tinkering at the edges and will achieve nothing but a bit of short term success (ie 2003).

Latest posts