What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random question

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
I just spent a week in Manila and i was surprised how huge some boys were. A couple of blokes i spoke to were in awe of the rugby codes but others quickly referred to it as 'Bum Sniffers". They are more interested in basketball, boxing and cockfights.
There is approx' 100 free to air channels there and they get zero NRL coverage... Yet the world netball championships were broadcast live.
Imagine if a country of that population (90 odd million) were to develop an interest in League.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I'm surprised there haven't been any Japanese league players, considering they have a national Yawnion team. Surely one of them will wake up to the superiority of league and want to give it a go.

Loudstrat

Coach
they are not asian (chinese, japanese), they are lebanese. big difference from asian.

p.s i know they are from middle east of asia lol
I know they are asian but they aint asian - how the f*ck are they NOT asian?

I wouldn't consider El Masri, Manah etc asian
They're middle eastern, different to asian imo

I think the OP meant more of a south east asian player (china, vietnam, taiwan etc) lol
Asia starts at the Pacific and ends at the Suez Canal and the Meditteranean. Lebanon is as Asian as China.

And China is not SE Asia.

hitman82

Bench
I'd say a lot of NRL players footy boots are made by asians.

From memory, I'm sure someone said that current Warriors number 7 Shaun Johnson is half Chinese - correct me if I'm wrong though.

lol @ people saying 'I don't consider Arabs as Asians' despite the Middle East being in Asia :lol:

Wasn't he at the Dogs circa 95?

I'm sure that when this question was bought up they were referring to east Asians.

Granted we in the west choose to ignore certain cultural differences that are defined by borders or the geography with in east Asia. Ie the differences between thai and maylay cultutre. But you can't really say that the middle east and east Asia share many startling cultural similarities

I just spent a week in Manila and i was surprised how huge some boys were. A couple of blokes i spoke to were in awe of the rugby codes but others quickly referred to it as 'Bum Sniffers". They are more interested in basketball, boxing and cockfights.
There is approx' 100 free to air channels there and they get zero NRL coverage... Yet the world netball championships were broadcast live.
Imagine if a country of that population (90 odd million) were to develop an interest in League.

I spent a couple of months there. Love that city as much of a scum bucket as it is.
Not enough open land for fields in the urban areas and not enough flat land I'm the rural areas

betcats

Referee
He's tall but very slender. And that's what I mean by small. You don't see many Asians around that have the right body frame to play rugby league at the top level.

Yao Ming isnt that slender bro, he weighs 140kg. I know a lot of that would be becuase of his height but trust me im a big BBall fan and when you see Yao playing he doesnt look skinny. He would be physically stronger then anyone in the NRL IMO.